ICM 1/48 Spitfire IX

LSP_Kevin

Well, this one has languished off to the side of my workbench for almost a year now - so much so that it had managed to gather quite an impressive layer of dust. Having just finished the C-97 build, I figured I really should push on with this one, with the aim of getting done before I return to work in mid-January. And besides, it can become my token gesture to Edgar, and my proxy entry into his tribute GB.

So, with that in mind, I set about painting the underside. I've been keen to further explore Matt McDougall's 'black basing' technique. The idea is to create a subtle variegated effect in the paint work, to break up the monotone look in a more organic way than standard pre-shading does. I used it on my Tamiya Rufe build, and quite liked the effect, but I definitely haven't mastered it. I also don't have Matt's skills with an airbrush, so I find the precise mottling technique that this approach requires quite difficult. Anyway, here's the result with the Medium Sea Grey on the underside:

qvXUxL.jpg

Basically it's a light mottling of the base colour straight out of the jar, followed by another light mottling with the base colour thinned by about 50% white. Then a highly thinned layer of that paint was sprayed over the top in several layers, in an attempt to blend and integrate the effect. My gut feeling is that it's not there yet, and needs more work. But I'm also aware that subsequent layers of weathering and clear coats will do much to blend things in as well, but I'm keen to hear what you guys think. I'm happy to apply some more mottling, or another blending layer, if you guys think the effect isn't right yet.

Kev

No feedback, fellas?

Regardless, I decided to plough on, as I'm aiming to finish this one up before I go back to work on the 14th, and I'm really just treating it as a painting experiment at this stage. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! So, in that spirit, I've finished all the main painting:

wiFYHv.jpg

Once again, I did my best to create a subtle variegated finish over the black base, but it looks too strident to me, and the variations are too 'pillowy' I think. I did the colour demarcations freehand, so they're a little rough.

One thing that surprised me a little, is how close the colours I used for Ocean Grey (upper) and Medium Sea Grey (lower) turned out to be:

yBuSJA.jpg

They're very close to indistinguishable. I don't know if this is a result of the black basing method neutralising the difference in the colours, or just the difference in paint brands. The OG is Tamiya XF-82, while the MSG is Gunze H335. It's a little disappointing, but on the basis that it's just an exercise in approaches to painting and weathering, I'm happy to let it go.

The next time I try the black basing technique, I think I need to dial back my air pressure, and get a little closer. I've forgotten how to do fine work in small scales these days!

Kev

Interesting Kev, I haven't come across this mottling technique before but I can see what the aim is. I think you're closer to it on the upper camo rather than underneath but the subtle shifts in tone and blending are not quite there....damned close though!

Max

Thanks, Max. I definitely need more practice with this approach, as my airbrush technique is decidedly rusty! I think all the usual finishing work that is to come will help blend things better, but I agree that it won't quite be the result I was after. Nevermind - I've got plenty more 1/48 scale kits in the stash to sacrifice to the cause!

Kev

Hmm, agree that the mottle looks a bit strong (at least in the photos, but if you feel that way too, you'd have to go with it). Maybe a thin coat of a slightly different shade, to knock it back/blend it in a bit? The other thing is, when you put decals on and weather it, you add a lot more contrast, and it'll make the contrast in the pre shading less obvious.

Just my $0.02. I've never been able to do convincing fading/weathering so take it with a pinch of salt!

Happy new year.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, and I have no doubt you're right. I did in fact try a very thin blending coat on each colour, which helped a bit, but obviously things are not quite there yet. Let's see what it looks like once I've got some clear coats, decals, and further weathering on it. I suspect it'll bring everything back to a more integrated, more believable state. I hope so, anyway!

Kev

OK fellas, here's a token photo to show progress with the decals:

oJDINt.jpg

I had trouble with the gloss coats on this one, as the Tamiya flat acrylics I used on the upper surfaces just soak it up like a sponge. In the end I resorted to polishing it with Micromesh pads, but this simply took the paint off the raised details, and dulled the overall finish. Anyway, I made it work. I'm just waiting for the most recent application of Microsol to take effect, and then I'll do some more gloss coats, followed by the stencils. I haven't added the underwing decals yet, as I still need to mask and paint the wheel bays. Speaking of which, I can't remember what colour they're supposed to be. Any ideas?

Kev

Moving along crisply Kev,

Not being familiar with the technique of which you speak, I think you're right in saying the final process may tie it all in. I do prefer the upper side to the lower. From memory the wheel bays were underside colour, so MSG, on the Mk IX going forward. Sadly, it is one of those things we used to be able to rely upon Edgar to solve at a moment's notice.

Eduard give it as MSG in their Weekend Edition of the boxing of the Mk IX late which has this scheme.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Sadly, it is one of those things we used to be able to rely upon Edgar to solve at a moment's notice.

Thanks, Kent. I was thinking exactly the same thing while pondering this question. I also had a vague idea about them being the underside colour, and that makes things super simple for me, so that's what I'll go with.

Kev

Thanks, Jim. Progress has slowed somewhat due to the decals being a little unyielding. They're printed by Cartograf (from 2003), but are much thicker than I'm used to seeing from them. They respond only partially to Microsol, so I'm having to cut in the panel lines with a toothpick and reapply the softener. The small bumps under each roundel on the upper wing are proving especially difficult. Last night I tried the new AK Interactive decal solution on them, and the result was much better. One decal now completely conforms to its bump, while the other still needs work. I should be able to achieve something worth photographing today.

Kev

Haven't tried the AK one. I use Mr Mark softer & setter exclusively (for no better reason than I found bottles of both at Hobbyco in Sydney seven years ago, and haven't gone close to finishing them). Never met a decal they couldn't soften, with the exception of a set of Hawkeye decals I tried on a 1/48 RAN Skyhawk - those were completely impervious.

Anyway, looking good, not far from the finish now!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks again, Jim. I've got a bottle of Mr. Mark Softer, and have never had any success with it. It simply beads up and burns holes in every decal I've ever applied it to. I'm finding that the AK stuff has similar potency (too early to tell for sure), but with a reduced tendency to bead up. Oddly, when I did my review of the AK product, it behaved exactly the same as Microsol; only now am I seeing a difference. Just goes to show what a difference the exact combination of decals and softener can make.

Kev