New 1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- 322Sqn R.Netherlands East Indies AF-

Big Tony

Hiya Folks,

I was asked to run a WIP here on LSP so please be gentle,..... I`m not up to the standard of most of the fine modellers on this site.

Well having already built one as a RAAF Mk.VIII,.....I enjoyed this new Revell Spitfire kit so much that I went and bought another one yesterday and started it as soon as I got home!

Unlike the Aussie Spit I shall be building this one mostly straight from the box, with the exception of the decals as I`ll be using Flevo Decals FD32-021 to build my model as a Jungle Green and Light Blue (MSG?) aircraft from 322 Sqn of the Royl Netherlands East Indies Air Force during 1949;

DSCF0088_zpspkbk51pt.jpg

I`ve quite fancied building one of these ever since seeing this aircraft MH271, painted as MH424 at the Aviadome Museum at Amsterdam Airport back in the day,....this Spit is now at Duxford; 

28493051986_38f8f11169_b.jpg

This is a nice painting featuring the same colour scheme;

tek10.jpg

Anyway that is the intention,.....onto the model;

Here is the box art;

03927.jpg

Here are the parts straight out of the box;

DSCF0080_zpskrakdphu.jpg,

The fuselage halves;

DSCF0085_zps2yegb95p.jpg

The wings,.....these have the bulges in the upper surface found only on post war aircraft when larger tyres were fitted.

DSCF0081_zpsjojhqnwb.jpg

Under the wings the radiators are mounted level with the wings and are not semi recessed inside the wing,.... a mistake yes,....but one that I can personally live with;

DSCF0082_zpsnmdn7lxq.jpg

Another poor area of the kit is the seat, I am thinking of maybe adding a pilot figure but have a feeling that this Tamiya Mustang pilot may be too large?

DSCF0084_zpskktv4lpi.jpg

Tonight I`ve been pre painting the interior parts and assembling the cockpit,....I`ll add more pics in the morning,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by Big Tony

Right I`ve been hitting the books this morning;

DSCF0094_zpsth1ddwrf.jpg

DSCF0095_zps2logckbm.jpg

And as well as the above colours I`ve found that the Dutch Spits seem to have retained their wartime style wings without the post war bulges over the wheel bays,....so more sanding!

DSCF0097_zps3jv9gcg9.jpg

Also,.....here are the tailplanes which need to have their tips cropped to match the late style elevators;

DSCF0106_zpsmam3gfet.jpg

One of the poor aspects of this kit are the exhaust stubs,..... they are useable but need lots of sanding;

DSCF0103_zpstxmxqkdk.jpg

Now onto construction,

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,....well onto construction,....having painted the interior yesterday evening I burned a bit of midnight oil and got on with the cockpit. As the kit does not provide any armour plating for behind the pilots seat I made some from plastic card. The armour behind the pilots head has a circular mounting tor a head rest found on earlier variants and so this was cut away too. The seat is a weak point, mainly because the seat cusihon  is over simplified;

DSCF0102_zpsawykdjbn.jpg

DSCF0100_zpsbvwg0xss.jpg

Here are the fuselage halves painted inside;

DSCF0105_zps6wdsd9gw.jpg

And the cockpit in place ready for the halves to be joined;

DSCF0099_zps4pnjpz5l.jpg

Here is the fuselage with the optional rudders and the chin intake;

DSCF0108_zpskvviogrs.jpg

This chin intake is quite blunt and would benefit from a bit of sanding and filing. It is almost as if there was meant to be a separate lip part to be added on but then it was forgotten about;

DSCF0109_zpsi15etvha.jpg

After the fuselage halves were joined they were fitted to the already constructed wings which have yet to receive their ailerons and clipped wing tips;

DSCF0111_zpsbyosm2eq.jpg

As with the Aussie Spit that I made, plastic card shims were required along the wing root joint,......a 30 second job!;

DSCF0112_zps1s9rx1jn.jpg

So that is where I am up to,.....I`m letting the glue dry for a while now,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Big Tony

So glad to see you start this thread, Tony. I'm sure we can all learn a thing or two from your fantastic workmanship. A tutorial on brush painting would be most welcome!

Kev

Cheers Kev,......I`ll try my best!

Just a quick one to let you know that this one might not be as quick as expected,......I was almost at the painting stages but today I slipped another disc in my back, which has put back my recovery from 2 major spinal operations that I had in January!  I`m hoping that I won`t have to go back to hospital but I`ll have to lay off the models for a while as I`ve been over doing things,

Cheers

Tony 

Just a quick one to let you know that this one might not be as quick as expected,......I was almost at the painting stages but today I slipped another disc in my back, which has put back my recovery from 2 major spinal operations that I had in January!  I`m hoping that I won`t have to go back to hospital but I`ll have to lay off the models for a while as I`ve been over doing things,

Cheers

Tony

Been there - done that - got the T-shirt!! Get well soon!

Cheers

Alan

Cheers

Tony 

Ouch!  Hope you recover soon, without another spell of hospital. 

Hiya Folks,

Thanks for the kind thoughts everybody,.......yes the back is bad but thankfully it doesn`t seem to be back to pre op conditions,......although it has put my recovery back 2 months to just after I came home from hospital,.....so I have all of that pain and frustration to go through again,.....bummer! On the bright side, If I`m careful it shouldn`t mean another op `yet',..... plus there cannot be much to cut away next time anyway!

Back to the model,...... I`m doing a little light modelling from the settee using my trusty tray but not pushing it too much,.... I did some sanding last night and the model is ready for painting now, I cannot get out to buy the exact Humbrol shade requiired for the undersides but I have found a bottle of  Polly Scale French underside Light Blue Grey which I hope will suffice. Along with this I shall be using Polly Scale RAAF Foliage Green as an undercoat for the upper surfaces to build up the coats then will probably finish it off with the prescribed Humbrol 75 enamel;

DSCF0133_zpsrea48zau.jpg

I`ve brushed on the first coat of light blue to the undersides from my trusty trayy;

DSCF0137_zpsunrvzhnq.jpg

DSCF0138_zpsecjsuz1v.jpg

DSCF0141_zpsarlli8fa.jpg

I`ve been asked before about my technique for brush painting and all I can say is build up layers of thin coats using a flat brush and try to paint the model section by section,

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

After two coats of Light Blue I`ve masked off the undersides and applied the first coat of Foliage Green. It might look like a mess at the moment but I`ll build the coats up, one thin layer at a time;

DSCF0142_zpsbgogew3y.jpg

DSCF0143_zpspuesk6kr.jpg

For the spinner I used an old Halfords rattle can,.....VW Orange!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by Big Tony

Hi Tony, so pleased to see a WIP from you here mate. If you are the same Tony (which I suspect you are) from Britmodeller, then you need not be afraid ole chum! Your work is superb and personally from what I have seen you also have a good grip on colours etc.

Cheers and great update!

Anthony