HpH MiG-15bis

Dragon

I am not impressed with the kit. Given the pricetag casting quality and fit should be much better.

But I am sure you will turn this one into a nice model.

Regards

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

Mike

Nice start on the MIg and there sure is always a lot of 'extra clean up work' with resin and limited production kits. But in the end, it's well worth all the work, as you have a gem to take center stage in the display case.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

All resin kits have their little oddities compared to mainstream styrene kits.

Think about this: Say you had never seen a styrene kit before and had built nothing but resin kits your entire life.  The first time you opened and started building a plastic kit, you'd be freaked out as well.

75 parts all cast together on strange looking joiners, meaning you have to somehow cut them off in one small area and risk marring the surface, instead of a normal casting block on the inside of parts where it should be, thereby saving the surface detail.

Strange construction techniques that make you use solvents to actually melt the pieces together rather than use CA or epoxy like the rest of the world does....

And why do they insist in having something as easily cast in one or two pieces in nice, familiar resin be molded in plastic in 4 or 5 pieces, increasing the chances of surface imperfections with stupid unnecessary join lines?

And why do they use this plastic that melts and crazes so easy with certain paints and finishes?

Yup, this was a dumb idea, I'll stick to familiar resin.

:rofl:

Looks really good so far!  As Ernie pointed out, there are indeed some oddities with building resin kits, but I dont deem them any different than IM plastic, just different construction methods, and processes.

I am not impressed with the kit. Given the pricetag casting quality and fit should be much better.

Agreed on some levels as the price is a bit steep, but I have come to the conclusion that there always will be some amount of resin shrinkage in most every resin kit, and you just have to work through/around it.

However, one of my first 32nd kits in my return to modeling was the Trumpy Mig-15 BIS.............................

Lets just say no matter WHAT problems you encounter with this kit, the detail and construction are still worth the price when you consider your alternative if you want a Mig-15. That had to be one of if the THE worst fitting kit I have built to date.

Guest Clunkmeister

This kit IS on my list of gotta haves. I'm no MiG fan, but I'd like to have just ONE decent MiG-15 on the shelf finished and ready to go.

Edited by Clunkmeister

I'm still after the Holy Grail of resins : one that has a long enough pot life, dégazes quickly, is very fluid, is strong for very thin parts and details (think training edges for instance), has very minimal shrinking in curing (a fraction of a percent), cures quickly, sands easily, and is easy to clean in thé molding workplace ....

From the very interesting video posted about HPH operations, it seems their resin has a lot of qualities, but is prone to some (variable) shrinking...

If a pure Galahad has found this Grail, I'm a taker...

Hubert

We all know very well that that is the nature of the beast.,, good luck with the build.

Cheers

M.

Here is an interesting conversation in which

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949599-mig-15-korean-war-camo-colours/

Yuri Tepsurkaev took part in it, helping to answer few questions about color used on Mig-15.

Edited by Martinnfb

But I am sure you will turn this one into a nice model.

Regards

- dutik

I hope I can do this kit justice dutik!

Mike

Nice start on the MIg and there sure is always a lot of 'extra clean up work' with resin and limited production kits. But in the end, it's well worth all the work, as you have a gem to take center stage in the display case.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Agreed.  From what I've seen and read of resin WIPs, extra clean-up work is what you have to expect from a resin kit, and I knew that going in and that it would be a big element of this build.  But I figure it adds to the experience and journey of a resin kit.

All resin kits have their little oddities compared to mainstream styrene kits.

And this makes a nice change of pace from styrene kits.  Of course, I say this before I've finished the kit!

Looks really good so far!  As Ernie pointed out, there are indeed some oddities with building resin kits, but I dont deem them any different than IM plastic, just different construction methods, and processes.

Agreed on some levels as the price is a bit steep, but I have come to the conclusion that there always will be some amount of resin shrinkage in most every resin kit, and you just have to work through/around it.

However, one of my first 32nd kits in my return to modeling was the Trumpy Mig-15 BIS.............................

Lets just say no matter WHAT problems you encounter with this kit, the detail and construction are still worth the price when you consider your alternative if you want a Mig-15. That had to be one of if the THE worst fitting kit I have built to date.

Yeah, I figured the price for this kit was well worth it compared to the frustrations I'd experience trying to tackle the Trumpeter MiG-15.  

Thanks for the comments guys - Mike

Edited by Dragon

This kit IS on my list of gotta haves. I'm no MiG fan, but I'd like to have just ONE decent MiG-15 on the shelf finished and ready to go.

Agreed, gotta have at least one MiG target on the shelf!

From the very interesting video posted about HPH operations, it seems their resin has a lot of qualities, but is prone to some (variable) shrinking...

From my very limited experience, resin and shrink are synonymous......

We all know very well that that is the nature of the beast.,, good luck with the build.

Cheers

M.

Here is an interesting conversation in which

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949599-mig-15-korean-war-camo-colours/

Yuri Tepsurkaev took part in it, helping to answer few questions about color used on Mig-15.

Thanks, and I came across that discussion while researching which MiG-15 kit to get.  Interesting discussion......

I was able to get a little time on the bench tonight, and continuing with my approach of working on simple components of the kit, I worked on the ejection seat.  I cleaned up the ejection seat assemblies and glued the first couple of pieces together.  Using CA glue proficiently is going to take me some time to master.  So accustomed to Tamiya Extra Thin cement....

Mike

Guest Clunkmeister

Mike, I'm glad you're rolling with this one. I will build one, one of these days, I'm sure.

Bait for the Sabres and Panthers.

Fox 2, buddy. Ya better suck in your feet, yank the handle and leave, cuz there's gonna be an earth shattering kaboom! :rofl:

Agreed, gotta have at least one MiG target on the shelf!

From my very limited experience, resin and shrink

Mike

I currently use an epoxy resin that has an 0.02 % shrinkage in its specs. BUT it has a curing time of 16 hours !

As far as PU resins are concerned, most have a shrinking spec much higher than that, you're right... But I have not given-up finding this rare bird. Another learning was that I also had to watch for the shrinkage of the RTV for the molds. Of course all of this can be factored-in in designing the masters IF one can be sure that the shrinkage will be consistent from one session to another.

Back to your WIP: keep the pics flowing :popcorn:

Hubert

Edit PS: sorry I cropped your quote.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hello All,

Here are some pics of the ejection seat I worked on the other night.

First the parts:

DSC_0587_zpsug2wcai5.jpg

Here are the parts removed:

DSC_0589_zpscur7iamc.jpg

I glued the rails onto the seat:

DSC_0590_zpsmvv7ksft.jpg

Need to attach the head rest then the seat will be ready for some paint.  

My plan is to work on all the smaller assemblies first to gain confidence with using CA before tackling the main components.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike