S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Thank you all for your kind comments, I am glad you like it!

I'd love to hear more about this PU foam you're using. Looks like interesting (and useful!) stuff.

Kev

Kevin, I use a PU foam called Puren which has a quite dense structure, is easy to sand and rather hard at the same time. There are several different types of that stuff around which differ in density and hardness. There are other foams around, some of which are intended for diorama building, but I found these to me way too soft. I got a batch of Puren from a friend of mine a few years ago, now I have to figure out how to get some more as the manufacturer only seems to sell directly to industrial customers.

Wow! Great progress so far! The combination of laser cutting and 3D printing looks like it's making short work of what could be considerably more laborious than you've been able to make it (although I can see there is still an awful lot of work going on here :) ) Well done so far mate, I'll be following for sure :)

Craig

Kev, expansing foam does not work at all. Puren is available as blocks in different thicknesses (if you are able to buy it)... I would try to check some shops for architectural modeling, they should have what you need.

Craig, the lasercut parts certainly helped to gain time and I personally consider the wheels to be almost impossible to perfectly replicate by hand - for me at least! But you are right, it took me a lot of time to prepare the drawings - and I'm not done yet. I am currently working on the wingfolds. More pics to come! :-)

Fantastic project ! The S-3 certainly deserves a 1/32 model.

It may look ungainly, but it is a very important aircraft of the 80s/90s.

Hubert.

PS: These PU blocks are great. They cost an arm and a leg, and you have to be very cautious sanding them (the dust is very dangerous), but they are fantastic for masters and scratch-building.

Sign making supply houses have PU foam sheets in various thicknesses and densities, but be warned, the stuff is EXPENSIVE. I bought a 1/2 inch thick board (12mm) about 10 years ago, 4'x8', cost around $300 back then. Great stuff, although the 15 lb density I bought is a bit soft. And, yes, do not breathe the dust.

I would like one of each please.. the plane and the dog! .. We have 2 Siberian Huskies, when they finally pass on I'm getting one SMART dog instead of two beautiful but sadly not so smart ones!  keep up the great work on the S-3, its going to be gorgeous.

Paul   

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! Great work on the fuselage. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

By the way, have you got a copy of the old Aerophile magazine on the S-3? It has some very useful drawings and other information on this classic aircraft.

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks a lot, gentlemen! :)

Paul, you really should get a Golden one day - they are just lovely.

Rainer, yes, I have a copy of the Aerophile. The drawings are pretty nice but not 100% accurate in a few areas. I am pretty sure that all the Koku Fan drawings are based on them as well. 

Thank you very much Hercules! I have mostly used scaled up Koku Fan plans (which are almost identical to the drawings in the Aerophile as already mentioned), but I never base my models on one plan alone. I also cut a 72nd Hasegawa fuselage into slices to get some cross sections... and looked at many pics of the real thing.

Hello, Starfighter, thanks for your comment.

Interesting my friend you do like me, also I base plus drawings, photographs and technical data. I also own many magazines including Koku Fan maybe that you have the S-3A Viking, December 1988.

From 
Hercules de Araujo