1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

Great reference build.

May i ask how would you rate the kit in aspect of buildability (including issues and positives that it offers)?

Im deciding what should i take (hasegawa/eduard-academy or ZM) considering that the ZM costs nearly double as either of both, is the question if it is worth? Does it assemble itself so much better? Im no external contour fanatic, so if it looks like a F-4J its pretty much close enough for me.

I did not read carefully enough though, are the fit issues due to insufficient dry-fitting/or similar, or are a general design issue - i know that i should read it once more in detail prior posting, but somehow i dont get to it at this time due to work :(

regards, Marko

Great reference build.

May i ask how would you rate the kit in aspect of buildability (including issues and positives that it offers)?

Im deciding what should i take (hasegawa/eduard-academy or ZM) considering that the ZM costs nearly double as either of both, is the question if it is worth? Does it assemble itself so much better? Im no external contour fanatic, so if it looks like a F-4J its pretty much close enough for me.

I did not read carefully enough though, are the fit issues due to insufficient dry-fitting/or similar, or are a general design issue - i know that i should read it once more in detail prior posting, but somehow i dont get to it at this time due to work :(

regards, Marko

Marko,

if price is a consideration, I'd opt for one of the Academy F4 kits. I built the B and it's more detailed and a better fitting kit then the old Hasegawa kit. Buy what AM parts you feel you want, not what Eduard decides to include in the kit.  Like I posted, I'm getting a ZM J and the Academy C.

Joel

Great reference build.

regards, Marko

Marco,

since I haven´t built the Academy kit I can´t tell you which one is better. I liked the Z-M kit, dispite those problems I had. Considering the price and what the aftermarket offers, I would go for the Academy kit. Otherwise I would wait what Z-M releases in the future and what they did to adress the issue with the outer wings.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

thanks for heads up. Well, i jumped too early and ordered two of the ZM kits...darn :/ (not yet paid,..but still)

With a bit of blocksanding i figure the wing issue is easy solveable, is it? How about with the cockpit sides, can you give a good insight about that issue?

regards, M 

Edited by Marko

Hi Dirk,

thanks for heads up. Well, i jumped too early and ordered two of the ZM kits...darn :/ (not yet paid,..but still)

With a bit of blocksanding i figure the wing issue is easy solveable, is it? How about with the cockpit sides, can you give a good insight about that issue?

regards, M 

Marco,

the outer wing issue is solveable. Regarding the cockpit. Just make shure that the walls of the front wheel well ar fiting good together. And than add the cockpit on top of it. Just check if everything is there where it should belong. Then you won´t have any problems. I just didn´t pay enough attention, therefore my problems with the cockpit.

Dirk

Dirk,

At 1st I posted that the ZM kit seems to offer greater deal, and therefore I was going to buy the J from ZM rather then from Academy. Honestly, the wing tip issue has been nagging at me, as I didn't have any real dimensional issues with the Academy B, so I'm going to buy the Academy F4-C, & J. And then see if ZM address the wing tip issue with their S.

Joel