Soooo...... Moderators, any thoughts on the next group build?

dmthamade

How about building a diorama with a 1/32 aircraft? Can be simple: a jet with all kinds of equipment around it, or a WW2 aircraft with the crew contemplating about their mission while looking at some bullet holes in the rear fuselage.

We've had a lot of good ideas from the "aircraft transportation" topic too. Or a factory scene, maintenance, landing mishap, a WW1 aircraft in a tree, a Navy jet landing, ... Could be good to try out some new techniques too!

Maybe?

Nic

Like this?

Caution - somewhat grafic topic.

Regards

- dutik

Not that I do not like the diorama idea, but given the 6 months timeframe of the typical GB, building a 1/32 subject and the diorama to go with it, is likely to result in very few folks finishing the GB, just my two cents. A WWI GB would have my preference but a theme like "hot conflicts of the Cold War" to cover decolonization wars, South American clashes, VN and Afghanistan, would be great, lots of subjects (props and jets, superpowers or exotic countries) to cater to most tastes. David

David you have a point too. Cold war also sounds like a great plan with all the aircraft available too in our scale.

One thing i have been able to sense for a while now is more and more fellow LSPers are interested in trying out building a ww1 subject. Some have already bought kits that are in the stash and just waiting to be started. Maybe a ww1 gb would be an environment that would be conducive and supportive enough to get those friends to actually pick the box up and try it out. What do you guys think?

That's my .02 but I'll be happy with anything the consensus fall on!

Edited by karimb

There was a Wings of the Great War GB about 4 years ago; perhaps it's time for a revisit. A lot of new kits have been released since then.

Personally, I'd love to see a floatplane/seaplane/flying boat GB, but I'm not sure if there is enough interest or an adequate selection of subjects.

How about a "Clear the Shelf of Doom" GB? Kits must be at least 25% complete prior to start. I'd bet that there are a lot of us that have something that would qualify...

Karim made an excellent point on the WWI theme: seeing all the rave reviews on the quality of WNW kits, the great builds on LSP and an increasing number oh WNW kits going OOP, I have accumulated a small stash of WNW kits (8 kits) but I have not yet built one, bring rather intimidated by the prospect of rigging. As I love participating in these GBs, this would certainly push me to start my first WNW kit. Can we start planning?:)

Ooh...building the Revell P-51B out of the box!!? That's too high a price to pay for a new kit lol!

I physically and emotionally cannot build a kit out of box with the new exception for me of dinosaur kits that have only 10 parts. They slap together using epoxy and with a bit of filler (darn thing still wants to be painted how ever). The Revell P-51B is really off the bench for me.

Rick

Karim made an excellent point on the WWI theme: seeing all the rave reviews on the quality of WNW kits, the great builds on LSP and an increasing number oh WNW kits going OOP, I have accumulated a small stash of WNW kits (8 kits) but I have not yet built one, bring rather intimidated by the prospect of rigging. As I love participating in these GBs, this would certainly push me to start my first WNW kit. Can we start planning?:)

.... and there are a few wth minimal rigging complexity.

Rick

We ran a WWI GB not that long ago, and I think it's too soon to repeat it, to be honest. We've also had a multi-wing GB since then, too. So far, I'm liking the Cold War and Clear the Bench ideas. We did the latter several years ago, but I think we could repeat that idea successfully with fair regularity.

Kev

Sub-saharan Africa is still underrepresented. If you have to have a Tiger Moth there are different options available too: Congo, Rhodesia, South Africa.

There was a plethora of aircraft types used that are available in 1/32: Texans, Do-27, Gazelle, Hinds and Hips, Mirages, Migs of all kind (even the Mig-25, if you choose to scratchbuild one) (yep, in Sudan, leased from Libya), Hunters, Vampires, Meteors (Biafra and South Africa), Crusaders, Albatrosses, Suchoi 25 and 27/30. Guess I still missed a good number. Just in case you want to do some scratchbuilding: Junkers F-13 and Potez-25 also made it into African Air Forces...

Regards

- dutik