Starfighter

vvwse4

After finishing the Dauntless this will be something out of my comfort zone. Usually I build WW2 but after Italeri had the 1/32 Starfighter out there was no way of not getting it. 

I was based at Volkel Airbase back in 1982 and the plane I am building, D8063, was there also. I have no memory of seeing it but I must have.

d-8063-1.jpg

d8063.jpg

I am planning on a out of box build, the only thing I add are decals from Dutch Decal. Jack pointed me on a mistake I made,  D8063 is not a 306Sqdn plane. According to the decals it is a 311Sqdn plane but the pictures above say it is a 312Sqdn plane so that is what it wil be. 

IMG_0029.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

I made a small start with the cockpit and offcourse the progress will be slow. 

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Rick.

Edited by vvwse4

Rick, PM inbound......

disregard, unable to, your personal mailbox on LSP is apparently full with messages.

Edited by Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Made some progress on the 104, finished the cockpit. Thanks to the freezeing weather not much work so bench time available!! Was a lot more work than I thought it would be, The dials are from Airscale because I did not like the decal provided in the box, the rest is what Italeri put in the box. When I was in the airforce I sat in them and I remember a lot of buttons which I dare not touch, hope this gives the impression of a buzzy place. Hope you like it and commends are welcome.

110_0092.jpg

110_0091.jpg

110_0088_1.jpg

110_0089_1.jpg

101_0086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

With a long weekend and alone in the house finally plenty of bench time.

First some preshading, I just like doing this, and after that it was time to put colours on it. I made a mistake by using the wrong colour gray but I could correct this. After a couple of hours it starts to look like a Starfighter.

110_0728.jpg

110_0729.jpg

110_0730.jpg

110_0732.jpg

110_0738.jpg

110_0773.jpg

110_0774.jpg

110_0775.jpg

110_0776.jpg

110_0777.jpg

I like the look of it. Let me know what you think, comments always welcome.

Rick.

Decals.....you love them you hate them. 

After putting the model in Future to make it shining I figured it was time to put the decals on. I had purchased a nice set and I was gonna use Mr Mark setter and softer to make sure that the result would be good. Well, I thought.

110_0802.jpg

The first decal went to pieces before I even touched it. I saved them in an envelope and dry and they are a year and a half old, should not be a problem right?

110_0810.jpg

Try again. Number two seemed good at first glance but when dried it also was cracked.....

110_0813.jpg

This was a kit decal. After drying there was a airbubble. So I punctured that with a needle and applied some more softer. With this result somehow everything melted and the colours went "strange" ......also the softing fluid affects the future so not really happy right now.

I just hate decals.

Wat is the best way of removing them off the model without ruin the paintjob. And more important what am I doing wrong????

Rick

Hi Rick,

to bad to read You're having problems applying the decals on this iconic bird... In answer to Your question "What am I doing wrong ?", it look's to me that there is nothing wrong with the way You are applying the decals. What kind of strikes me is that You are having problems with both the DD-decals, as well as the Italeri-decals. Could it be that Mr. Mark is the culprid at hand...??? From my own experience I know that some decals react quite differently to some decal-agent then others. Maybe You might wanna try a different brand of decal-agent. I found that Micro Set & Sol is quite "soft" and work's with most of the decals out there. In cases I don't have any luck with Micro Set & Sol, I often find that DACO decal-agent does the trick. ("Medium" in most cases.)

Kind regards Rudy.

P.S.:

Which colour did You use for the basalt-grey ? (Paint-brand & colour-number) TIA !

Edited by Shujaa