76 replies to this topic

#46 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

You burnt Jeanne d'Arc

We are not fussy, We and our box of matches get around you know.

What’s more, in the expectation that their army would beat the British, the American President and his wife had ordered a slap-up meal prepared for 40 guests. They’d been counting on celebrating a victory. Instead they found themselves fleeing for their lives.

When the British invaders in their blood-stained uniforms burst into the White House, they found the table elegantly laid for dinner, meat roasting on spits and the President’s best wine on the sideboard.

Delightedly, they tucked in. One young officer said of the President’s Madeira wine: ‘Never was nectar more grateful to the palates of the gods . . .’ Afterwards he nipped up to the President’s bedroom and swapped his sweaty tunic for a smartly-ironed presidential shirt.

One of his comrades bundled up the silver White House cutlery in the tablecloth. The British commander then calmly told his men to pile the chairs on to the tables and torch the building.

Before the night was done they also burned both houses of Congress, the War Office, the State Department and the Treasury. It is the only time in  U.S. history that outsiders have raided the capital.

:D :P

Edited by TonyT, 07 September 2017 - 03:44 PM.

• Zero77 likes this

#47 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Game of Throne actors

That works because they use Southern and Northern British actors to portray Southern and Northern subjects

• Zero77 likes this

#48 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

an hour South of London is Tunbridge Wells, not only a nice place but home to the Aviation Bookshop, the best in the country. You could spend hours in there while your missus does some sightseeing. Also they will send stuff anywhere in the world for you

another vote for the RAF Museum. It's a fair trek to Colindale on the tube, but worth it.

I'd give the Imperial War Museum a miss. I found it uninspiring, even though I love my history

for good eats I can recommend:  The Chandos Pub, St Martin's Ln (off Tottenham Court Rd.) for lunch, or failing that, Brown's (also on St Martin's Ln).  For evening meal, there's a fantastic Punjabi restaurant called Tayyabs, which is on [/size]Fieldgate St, Whitechapel.[/size]

also an hour from London - Brighton. A nice day out by the seaside. Failing that, there are plenty of South Coast towns an hour from the smoke, such as Eastbourne[/size]

How could I forget the Chandos? More like a gentlemen's club upstairs with leather sofas and chairs, but that was 20+ years ago! While there, just up St Martin's lane and in St Martin's Court, is Motor Books, always worth a visit - downstairs for aviation.

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#49 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

You do realise he would need to emigrate here to fulfill this list.

• Bill Cross, Zero77 and DeanKB like this

#50 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:27 AM

Ah but what a wonderful list.  

Thank you all and I'm so looking forward to this trip, though I must say it's really for the wife to make up for the 'European gap year trip' that she spent with in in Los Angeles as I tried desperately and ultimately succeeded in wooing her.

Great general advice too.  I so want to drop into Hannants shop…. but me thinks the good lady would brain me.  :fight:

Dan

• Bill Cross likes this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#51 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

I so want to drop into Hannants shop…. but me thinks the good lady would brain me.  :fight:

Dan

Tell her it's a fact-finding trip for your modeling buddies in order to evaluate pricing and selection (then have them Uber the kits to your concierge).

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#52 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Just be honest and tell her the truth, you brought her along to help carry all the kits you intend to buy at Hannants.... what could possibly go wrong.

Seriously, tell her it makes economical sense as WE are saving a fortune on postage etc to Auz... you can miss out the bit about it meaning you can buy twice as much. You know women like the feeling they are getting something for less.... it brings over them a warm self contented glow.

#53 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

I've heard through reliable sources hat Maru makes a mean curry. Just sayin' :)
  • MARU5137 likes this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#54 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

Eel pie

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#55 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

London is a truly wonderful place and so much to see and do but for the love of .... why didn’t anyone mention STAIRS! The underground is fantastic, no two ways about it, it’s ace. Fast, flexible and clean & neat and well signed once you know what you are looking for but chocked full of winding twisting passages that always end in one or two flights of stairs. To say it is maze like is no exaggeration ( I keep asking for my bit of cheese like a good lab rat ) Thankfully we were warned at the airport and took a cab to our hotel after the Express dropped us at Paddington cause we’d have been boned trying to get our luggage through the tube. Great place that only gets better the more we look around.
  • TonyT, Bill Cross and MikeC like this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#56 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

You mean escalators? There are odd stations where there are none, but those will have lifts (elevators).

#57 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

Sounds like you're enjoying it so far. 

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#58 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Isn’t it Elephant and Castle, near the Imperial War Museum that has a seemingly endless spiral staircase? I seem to remember one in that vicinity, was a long long time ago.
  • ScanmanDan likes this

#59 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Welcome to our Country to you and your good lady, enjoy it :)

#60 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

I just reread the whole thread and considering the UK normally gets a bad rep on the world stage for our food, it is surprising how many of you like it, including our pub grub. Though I admit we have sort of taken ownership of many countries cuisines and adapted them to our tastes, especially our Indians.

Edited by TonyT, 17 October 2017 - 06:13 PM.

• MikeC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users