• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Markjames1968

Markjames1968

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

The m1 motorway north......the longer you are on it, the better london gets..
  • BiggTim likes this

#32 vince14

vince14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

The m1 motorway north......the longer you are on it, the better london gets..

Until you get north of Leicester, then it's all downhill again.

#33 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

I'm with Bill, fav foods in the UK  is anything in a pub, and Indian.  

• Bill Cross and Zero77 like this

#34 MikeC

MikeC

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

• BiggTim and Bomber_County like this

Michael
IPMS MK
; IPMS Avon Life member; member of quite a few SIGs, including of course LSP/32SIG.

“A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.” – Dmitri Shostakovich

#35 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

If you go to Stonehenge then I'd suggest going to Bathe also.

Actually if you go to Stonehenge, which is a pretty boring place to be honest, I would recommend two places within about 50 Miles

http://www.fleetairarm.com/

and

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

last isn't cheap but a lot to see and do once in. Good chippie across the road if you want to try some authentic British Fish and Chips.

Edited by TonyT, 06 September 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#36 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Until you get north of Leicester, then it's all downhill again.

Hang on, I live north of Leicester you peasant.

• Kagemusha and BiggTim like this

#37 Bill_S

Bill_S

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Stonehenge might be boring, but it's on my bucket list. The same could be said for Little Big Horn here in the US. Historic, but there's not much there.

I started building my shelf of doom, but I never finished it.

#38 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Stonehenge might be boring, but it's on my bucket list. The same could be said for Little Big Horn here in the US. Historic, but there's not much there.

Not boring at all. The visitors center has some exhibits that explain things, and it's awe-inspiring to stand outside alongside the stones (you can no longer approach and touch them unless you're a famous dignitary, but that's all right by me.

And sometimes you can hear the Royal Artillery shooting off rounds on nearby Salisbury Plain.

• Bill_S likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#39 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

The one thing you MUST do is stand on the right hand side of the escalators in tube stations - unless you really, really want to learn some new swear words. 

Really?

They drive on the left side of the road, but stand on the right in the escalators? :hmmm:

• BiggTim likes this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#40 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

I'm with Bill, fav foods in the UK  is anything in a pub, and Indian.  

Deep fried Brie cheese salad, with strawberry jam vinaigrette. Awesome !

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#41 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Really?
They drive on the left side of the road, but stand on the right in the escalators? :hmmm:

So people on the left can move quickly, makes perfect sense.
  • Zero77 and MikeC like this

#42 richdlc

richdlc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

an hour South of London is Tunbridge Wells, not only a nice place but home to the Aviation Bookshop, the best in the country. You could spend hours in there while your missus does some sightseeing. Also they will send stuff anywhere in the world for you

another vote for the RAF Museum. It's a fair trek to Colindale on the tube, but worth it.

I'd give the Imperial War Museum a miss. I found it uninspiring, even though I love my history

for good eats I can recommend:  The Chandos Pub, St Martin's Ln (off Tottenham Court Rd.) for lunch, or failing that, Brown's (also on St Martin's Ln).  For evening meal, there's a fantastic Punjabi restaurant called Tayyabs, which is on Fieldgate St, Whitechapel.

also an hour from London - Brighton. A nice day out by the seaside. Failing that, there are plenty of South Coast towns an hour from the smoke, such as Eastbourne

• Zero77 and MikeC like this

F4U-4 Corsair:   F4U-4 Corsair  B-17G Fortress:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=47228  A-1H Skyraider:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=53052

Current Project, 1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless:  http://forum.largesc...showtopic=53741

#43 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

And sometimes you can hear the Royal Artillery shooting off rounds on nearby Salisbury Plain.

In my past RAF helicopter force life we did a night escape and evasion exercise on Salisbury Plain, to make it more interesting the objective was a pub some 5 miles away and the prize for first arrivals was free beer all night... Needless to say the incentive was there and we had maps marking all the danger zones off and a compass, the two of us arrived second :( having determined the quickest and less obvious way there was to run across the live firing range lol, the biggest brightest red danger zone on the map... 

I still shudder to think what was underfoot and luckily no one fired, though the boom and a couple of starshells lighting up the distant firing points got the old ring puckering, but free beer is free beer... the winners made it in under 1/2 hour as leaving the camp they spotted a car on the public road, flagged him down and some nice Civi drove them to the pub. Grrrr

Also near Stonehenge is

http://www.tankmuseum.org/home

Edited by TonyT, 07 September 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• Bill Cross and BiggTim like this

#44 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Also near Stonehenge is

http://www.tankmuseum.org/home

Bovington is an excursion all in itself. Here is a wonderful account by my friend, Georg Eyerman, of his trek there for their annual Tank Fest.

• BiggTim and Zero77 like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#45 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

So people on the left can move quickly, makes perfect sense.

Indeed, that makes perfect sense.

But it would make even more sense if people would stand on the left side so people on the right side can move quickly, just like on your highways, with the same side to overtake. :)

But that's what makes the british so cool. Totally unpredictable. Who would put some strawberry jam in a salad? But once you taste it, it's damn good !

British : the only people where one can find pilots ready to risk their lives to bomb german wooden dummy aircraft with wooden dummy bombs.

You burnt Jeanne d'Arc, defeated Napoleon, and destroyed our fleet twice at Trafalgar and Mers-el-Kebir, but now you're forgiven because you designed the Spitfire and almost every Game of Throne actors are british. :)

Edited by Zero77, 07 September 2017 - 03:26 PM.

• Bill Cross likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users