Great low vis FA/18 Hornet carrier landing

Guest The Southern Bandit

Came across this the other day while browsing, seriously impressive stuff, as many of you know I like to do realistic flight simulation but its been a while since we have had anything sim wise that does modern jet carrier landings really well ... but with the DCS Hornet coming out this spring I'll be able to virtually do this again as realistically as possible and I'm looking forward to doing this stuff more than the actual combat elements the sim will offer ... go figure!

Fascinating to watch the pilot at work here, the constant slight throttle movements (glad to know that when I do this in sim I'm doing it right) the swapping hands on the stick while other hand adjusts instruments ... you can see a lot of pertinent info on the MFD's and other instruments relating to this phase of the landing ... lots of detail to soak in from this short video ... a lot of high focused work in a short time from the Pilot and this is not even a night trap or a bad weather heaving deck night trap ... these guys really earn their pay, respect is due.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSnlWJjRLNw&feature=youtu.be

Edited by The Southern Bandit

I  was talking to a F 18 pilot once at an airshow.  I asked him about his scariest time in the jet.  he told me they had to launch in a gail to shoe off  Russian   bomber testing the fleet response.  Getting it back on  board was hard due to the lack of visibility and the fact the  carrier was  heaving so much it's propellers were out of the water   as it dove into the waves.  

Guest Smitty44

US Navy and Marine Corps pilots are among the best, if not the. Day in and day out they do this, probably more dangerous then the actual missions sometimes.

All Naval Aviators the world over have balls of steel and are cool as cucumbers under pressure, the absolute Elite ... and I'm from an RAF family! :)

I agree Smitty, who would do this? its a passion for sure, a desire to fly and do it in a controlled but still dangerous environment and thats with no hostility involved to even start with.

Much respect from me to all who do this now past and future.

Going back to realistic flight simulation for a moment, wanted to go do a simulated carrier trap on a modern Jet as realistically as possible after watching this, but best I could find just now amongst my installed simulation software is a semi realistic FSX carrier trap mission in bad weather, still quite hard to do if realism is ramped up, but really looking forward to Eagle Dynamics DCS F/A-18C Hornet module, this will be hi fidelity and as near as it gets for home simulation and I will be able to dial in as much realism as possible ... Hopefully :)

Pretty neat - just a different bag of flying. Reminds me of my days in the Indian Ocean landing a DHC-6F in two meter swells 600 miles from nowhere behind a freighter that needed a medivac for a heart patient - another different bag of flying. One way in, one way out with no margins for error... some areas of aviation are at the extreme ends of the normal envelope - Naval aviation is one of them and the DHC-6 is at the other end. Lost a fair share of colleagues and friends in that remote corner of the envelope.

Cheers

Alan

Nice vid.   I found it interesting how many small adjustments he made to the throttles. 

WIth regard to flight sims, I used to love Janes Super Hornet.   Just flying around shooting traps was great fun.