ANR Macchi C.205

DaveJ

Hi Dave,

The 'Aero Detail' shows the interior as a medium (slightly yellowish) green color.

All the internals were green including the gear bay although the inside of the gear

doors were the underside color. 205's could have had a grey interior also.

More here: http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronau...rsinWWII_3a.htm

Lifecolors interior green works fine but is rather translucent and need multiple coats.

It is quite pale.

Hi Dave,

The 'Aero Detail' shows the interior as a medium (slightly yellowish) green color.

All the internals were green including the gear bay although the inside of the gear

doors were the underside color. 205's could have had a grey interior also.

More here: http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronau...rsinWWII_3a.htm

Lifecolors interior green works fine but is rather translucent and need multiple coats.

It is quite pale.

Excellent link! Bookmarked that one...

Thanks!

Dave,

The 205 is looking good.Watch out for the fit of the cockpit.The fuselage needs to be thinned down to get the proper fit.

Regards

Gregory Jouette

PS check out Ian Robertson Macchi 202 build it shows what you're up against if you get the cockpit misplaced.Jeez I forgot to tell you the article is on Hyperscale.

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably too late but the information that I have on the Macchi fighters is that the 202 had "apple green" cockpits, the 205 fighters had a dark buish-grey color in the cockpit, not green. I believe German RLM 66 (hope that is right) is the match, same color as for a late BF109G unit, ME410, etc...

Hope this helps,

Scott Gentry

Dave,

The 205 is looking good.Watch out for the fit of the cockpit.The fuselage needs to be thinned down to get the proper fit.

Regards

Gregory Jouette

PS check out Ian Robertson Macchi 202 build it shows what you're up against if you get the cockpit misplaced.Jeez I forgot to tell you the article is on Hyperscale.

Thanks Gregory... Wasn't aware of that so I'll be on the lookout.

I am probably too late but the information that I have on the Macchi fighters is that the 202 had "apple green" cockpits, the 205 fighters had a dark buish-grey color in the cockpit, not green. I believe German RLM 66 (hope that is right) is the match, same color as for a late BF109G unit, ME410, etc...

Hope this helps,

Scott Gentry

Thanks to you too Scott! I have very little reference material for this one. None in fact, just a Ali D'italia book for the C.202. It is a bit late to re-do it now. Correct me if I'm wrong though but weren't some 205's simply upgraded 202's? I thought I read that somewhere... If that were the case then possibly there were some with both interior colors?

The office is nearing completion. It's had an initial sludge wash and the main boxes and panels have been painted and given some dry-brushing.

I need to pick out the tiny stuff, scrape the paint off the floor a bit and then maybe another wash. Next up is the seat!

IntPaintOne.jpg

IntPaintTwo.jpg

IntPaintThree.jpg

IntPaintFour.jpg

Dave,

There's a new Ali D'Italia out now on the Macchi 205,available from PCM.As to the interior of the 205 most if not all would have been painted in Italian Interior Green.I use RAF toned down white for this.It's possible some may have had the interior painted gray but not RLM Gray66 it would have the same gray as the underside. I've found nothing to confirm this in the 205,however some early MC 200's did have a light gray interior. You're right some MC 205 were rebuilt/reengined 202's.Except for the engine ,oilcoolers, and 20mm wing guns both are basically the same airframe.I've gathered as much reference as I can find for the Macchi's 200,202,and 205 PM me if there's anything I can do to help you out.I look forward to seeing the complete project.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Thanks Gregory... Wasn't aware of that so I'll be on the lookout.

Thanks to you too Scott! I have very little reference material for this one. None in fact, just a Ali D'italia book for the C.202. It is a bit late to re-do it now. Correct me if I'm wrong though but weren't some 205's simply upgraded 202's? I thought I read that somewhere... If that were the case then possibly there were some with both interior colors?

Dave, it is all good. Your cockpit looks great - so does the kit. I think when it comes to the 205, there have to be variations due to the situation in Italy when they were being assembled and maintained. Also, I believe 90% pf the builds I have seen are completed with green cockpits, so perhaps I am mistaken. Using reason, my suspicion is that some groups in the Italian AF were using Veltros alongside BF109G fighters, and perhaps these units were the ones using RLM paints, both in the interior and on the exterior. I am sure you have seen it, but there are some nice builds of this kit over at Hyperscale.

At any rate, great job and great pics. Keep up the good work. Watching you build yours - I may consider getting one myself.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...
Dave,

How's the Macchi progressing of late?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Thanks for asking, Gregory!

Truth is this one is moving at a snails pace. It seems a great kit and all but it's possible that a limited production kit (my first no less) might not have been the best choice for a three-month GB. I've made the final tweaks to the cockpit, installed the seat, removed those nasty air bubbles in the tank you can see in those pics up there and started thinning the kit side walls so I can fit the cockpit and close the fuselage. Not much else. Short of a real breakthrough moment it's unlikely I'll make the due date, but I'm determined to finish it at some point! :lol: