Tornado F3

ericg

I have been looking for a while for my next jet project and wanted to get started on something to possibly have ready for Model Expo next year in Melbourne. A few types were considered, being this one (although in its GR1 variant), a French Crusader and an F-15 E Strike Eagle. I decided on the Tornado F3 after a conversation with my last build subject pilot, being Sean Trestrail (TTAIL) who flew the Mirage that I had depicted. His close friend flew F3's during the Gulf war for the RAF as an Aussie exchange pilot. Knowing my interest in depicting military aircraft operated by the RAAF, or military aircraft in foreign service flown by an RAAF pilot, naturally I was drawn to the subject. After some research, I decided that it was almost going to be too hard, due to the fairly extensive nature of the conversion required to change a GR1 kit to an F3. There are no commercial conversion sets available, and the trail had gone cold on a few of the cottage industry conversions out there. Luckily, I was able to have sent to me an excellent conversion set, which will form the basis of this conversion. Details of the conversion, and also the pilot will come in due course.

First up, the parts! I have tried to get my hands on as much aftermarket as possible, although some of it is not suited to the F3, it will also be modified in due course. 

So far I have gathered: Aires Cockpit set, Aires exhausts, Master pitot tube, PHIMAT pod from an italeri Mirage IIIE, Zactomodels AIM-9L missiles and Eduard Brassin Sparrow's. 

DSC06705-X3.jpg

I got straight into the conversion. First up was the nose. The parts that I have been supplied are 3D printed and are pretty well drop in. I have been quite pleased with how well the parts have been designed and made. The white nature of the parts means that the detail is a little hard to capture in the picture. The parts will need to be cleaned up to get rid of the layered surface but there is hardly any there such is the quality of the printer used. Compared to the GR1 nose the shape is a fair bit different.

DSC06708-X3.jpg

The nose dry fitted to the forward fuselage, without modification. Fit is outstanding. I also filled the left side gun port as it was deleted on the F3.

DSC06717-X3.jpg

There will be a little bit more work on the panels required here, but a small length of styrene rod glued in with superglue and sanded to fit made short work of the gun port.

DSC06720-X3.jpg

The F3's were fitted with F/A-18 style stick grips before they went to the gulf, so I raided my Academy Hornet kit for one as they have 2 even in the single seat version.

Compared to the Aires joystick

DSC06724-X3.jpg

Grafted on.

DSC06726-X3.jpg 

Parts of the forward fuselage plug. These parts virtually snap together and are very strong. I am still quite pleased with how well it all fits.

DSC06713-X3.jpg

Once the two halves of the plug were glued together with superglue, the bulkhead was slid into place and also glued. The whole assembly is very rigid and will add considerable strength to the model.

DSC06715-X3.jpg

The built up part next to the fuselage ready for the razor saw to begin its work. I have started to mark out where the plug will sit, which by design is where the panel line is on the model.

DSC06721-X3.jpg

WOW !! This is one conversion I have always wanted to do after seeing a few friends builds and will be following your build. I would love to know if I can get my hands on one and where from please. B)  

:post1:

Oh, this'll be good. That 3D printing really looks like the way of the future ... I found myself thinking, "but of course it must shrink," before I realised that it isn't resin and it probably fits perfectly!

Rock on Eric. :punk:

Jim