Bf109F-4/Z Trop, 3./JG27, Hans Joachim Marseille, N. Africa, Feb. 1942

dodgem37

Thank you everyone for your most generous comments and compliments.

Martin, My apologies, but no cut-a-ways for me. I have no desire to do cut-a-ways, they are much too time consuming. I would remove panels and open hatches, though.

A few images of some stuff I did this week. Nothing very sexy.

DSCN6676.jpg

This probably should go in 'Make the others jealous'. I had been wondering for some time about a flexible scriber. Something that would go around fuselages, and wings, and stuff, when I came up with this as a test bed. It is a relatively hard plastic section of mini-blind. I just need to track down some scrap aluminum mini-blind now. The other item is a sanding stick. The really fine sanding heads are very flexible soft sponge. The more course the abrasive is the less flexible and harder the head is.

This is some of what I did this week:

DSCN6681.jpg

After gluing the intake to the panel and letting it dry overnight I gooped on some Tamiya white putty and let it set for the day. Then I used a home-made sanding tool to rough sand and a sanding stick to finish sand. The sanding strip is 2mm and 1mm.

DSCN6679.jpg

After removing, shaping, and taping each control I applied some primer to simulate the fabric wrap-a-round. Once dry I'll sand it down to the tape.

DSCN6685.jpg

Sanded the tailbone to receive the rudder. I used a black marker as a helping hand.

I've also put a few additional structures into the rear wheel area, but most of my time was spent building and shaping the rudder front.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Grant. My desk is so congested with tools and supplies lying about I'm surprised what I do is so clean as well.

Well, SWMBO gave me a few minutes of basement time this morning on MY BIRTHDAY so I could work on something I had been thinking about.

DSCN6686.jpg

I squished and cut some solder and then brass rod.

DSCN6687.jpg

The reason I squished the solder was to try to make what looked like a hinge. Here you can see the end result of the tape and painting to make the impression of the fabric reinforcement wrap-around.

DSCN6688.jpg

Checking the fit.

DSCN6690.jpg

Checking alignment. At the time I was sanding the rear of the front left stab I couldn't find my black marker so I used a dark brown one. The reason for the dark brown.

DSCN6689.jpg

Checking it all out. I think this might work.

Thanks for looking in, on MY BIRTHDAY!!

Sincerely,

Mark

How did you all know Sunday was MY BIRTHDAY? Thank you one and all for your wishes and wonderful comments.

Matt, 1/32 Regensburg. I like that.

Thank you, Rich. Just following your lead on that magnificent B-17 build.

I've been finishing up the tailwheel well.

DSCN6692.jpg

Before. Most of the parts in place. The oval is the base for the rudder control.

DSCN6699.jpg

The rudder control. The right section connected to the oval: I squeezed rod twice, 90degrees to the opposite to make that part. Everything is pinned with .010 rod. It flops around like a limp legged spider. So the 'T' could rotate I just drilled all the way thru the top, glued, then cut it. Being that it was not going to be seen I didn't bother finishing it off.

DSCN6700.jpg

Sunny side. A little off. Oh well. .010 rod, .010 x .020 strip, 2.5mm long.

DSCN6701.jpg

In place.

DSCN6704.jpg

Hellllooo in therrrre. A little big. Guess I've got to use .005 strip instead of .010.

More chores to do.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark