Messerschmitts of North Africa: Bf-110E-2 and Bf-109F-4 Trop

ChuckD

Last question before I get too much farther along: The instructions - for whatever they're worth - call for the instrument panel to be RLM 66 regardless of what the rest of the cockpit was painted.  Is that accurate?  I ended up base coating the rest of the parts RLM 02 and did the IP as 66.  If that's not a viable combination, I'll be breaking out the airbrush again tonight.  :)

Last question before I get too much farther along: The instructions - for whatever they're worth - call for the instrument panel to be RLM 66 regardless of what the rest of the cockpit was painted.  Is that accurate?  I ended up base coating the rest of the parts RLM 02 and did the IP as 66.  If that's not a viable combination, I'll be breaking out the airbrush again tonight.  :)

Yes, I believe that is correct. I know it was for the Bf109.

Jens

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone.  Back with an update at last.  I should've mentioned in my original post that this will be a somewhat pokey build log.  I don't get a ton of free time in my life and what I do get, I balance across several different hobbies.  I also like to update when I actually have something substantive to post.  That said, I've made some pretty good progress in the last few weeks on the base coating and detailing of the cockpit.  I've got everything pretty well tidied up and will be moving on to irrevocably botching the weathering here shortly.  :)   I have to admit that I found a really great thread here from 2011 and have been using it as my primary photo reference.  So there are some special thanks necessary to poster Ralph Riese for his photos and reference.  

As a fun aside, this is the first kit I've actually started tracking time spent on the build.  My goal is to get a fun picture of just how much time and labor this build represents. As of this post, I've spent 3.8 hours on building, 8.2 hours on painting, and 2.8 hours on ancillary tasks like prepwork, photos, posting updates here, etc.  A total of 14.8 hours across 10 different bench sessions for an average of 1.48 hours per session.  What can I say, I'm a stats geek.  :)

Anyhoo, here we go.

Here are the major sub-assemblies laid out.  I opted for the RLM02 cockpit with RLM66 panel.
bAqa86N.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls with wiring:
Lp9XD9n.jpg

The radio stack:
Z8czDU3.jpg

Cannon tray and oxygen bottles:
xeeOnSb.jpg

The instrument panel.  This is straight out of the box.  I finished it with a mix of paints and colored pencils.  I believe the latter has some real promise for tight detail work, but the Mr Paint finish I used leaves such a fine, smooth finish, there wasn't much for the pencil to grip on.  Due to the fine detail of the molded plastic, this was a joy to paint and detail.  
6nFLXOv.jpg

Instruments and ammo counter (and mold seam - damnit) for the gunner/radioman:
DBu0ioy.jpg

Ammo drums that will never see the light of day once everything is buttoned up:
ja6wnws.jpg

The cockpit.  For the amount of detail on the IP, the amount of detail here is a little lacking, in my opinion.
Me5vdEs.jpg

2g8Q9KH.jpg

The rear gunner's mount:
z5slj72.jpg

dJJXS9n.jpg

Edited by Gewehr 43

Thanks, guys.  Did a quick filter with burnt umber oils last night to tone down the RLM02 then hit it with Future for the gloss coating.  I'm hoping to start washing and chipping tonight.  While the Future was drying, I started work on the engines.  I'm debating leaving one of the cowls open.  Anyone know how much plumbing and whatnot is visible and would need to be scratched together?

Edited by Gewehr 43

I'm debating leaving one of the cowls open.  Anyone know how much plumbing and whatnot is visible and would need to be scratched together?

The RAF Museum's Bf110G at Hendon was disassembled a few months back, including removal of the cowls (to facilitate removing the engines), I've spent the last 20min trying to paste Flickr links for you to use as reference but to no avail! Hopefully typing them works because for some reason I can't post into a reply:

https://flic.kr/p/FiaHxE

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?137720-Battle-of-Britain-Hall-Hendon-23Jan16 (that was painful to copy and type out!)

Edited by KiwiZac