1:32 T31 Cadet glider kit prototype at Telford Show

wunwinglow

Hi folks, I've been working on this little project for a while, my first injection moulded kit, subject the T31 training glider used for several decades by the Air training Corps gliding schools. I've done pretty much all the kit design, including decals, and have had several 3D printed sets of parts made to check assembly. I'll have these on show, with some CAD images, at the forthcoming ScaleModelWorld show at Telford. If you are there, do call by and have a look if you can.

Scale is 1:32 so it will match the Revell glider kits, and a whole lot more besides! Kit will be injection moulded, as finely detailed as I can manage while keeping it sensible for moulding. Decals will cover a number of different colour schemes, and enough code characters will be included so you can finish the model as 'YOUR' aircraft.

I should stress this is still just a kite flying exercise at the moment, but all the hard work is done on the design. I'll be showing progress so far at Telford with a view to assessing financial viability and interest, before looking at funding the tooling. 

016ce7cdc7948c3b9952062d437ced55_large.j

97fd582f92f475a9ce9118f13d556369_large.J

0d3f253caa11b7eb3a428bc7a75bb1e5_large.j

bbca56cd8b638309c7925e17991f79dc_large.J

More details shortly.....

Tim Perry

Oooh!  Looks good so far.  I'll be very tempted if it comes to fruition, mine of course will be done in the middle scheme above as XN236, CGS(D) 1974, the one I soloed in many years ago.

Thanks guys! 'My' glider, was XA310, at 621 GS at RAF Locking, near Weston Super Mare. She is now privately owned, and flies at Hullavington. I did most of the research for the kit on this aircraft, thanks to its owner Al Stacey, without whom the project wouldn't have happened. Not only that, he enabled this 56 year old to relive a pivotal moment from his youth.... Thanks Al!

10154308_519795981465812_703917364804362

Tim

"All clear above and behind?"

Hi Tim,

Smashing project. Many fond memories of flying at RAF Syerston in Nottinghamshire.

I swear one very hot, dry summer was responsible for my hayfever. Fetching the winch cable in the back of an open-topped Landie. Jumpers for goalposts....is n't, eh?

If (when :innocent: ) this kit comes to fruition it will probably be worth a punt and mine will be in the final red/white/grey scheme.

I wonder if it's possible to find out what airframes were based where.  :hmmm:  I lost my log book long ago.

I can remember one particular instructor used to enjoy strafing trains on the railway that ran past the airfield accompanied by the "dakka dakka dakka" noises a la Rabbit Leader. :rolleyes:

Did n't get to solo on the T31 as the weather was poor. Had to do a week conversion and did mine in the Venture. Maybe another project for the future if this one works out eh Tim?

Good luck with this venture (see what I did there) Tim.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

gee, yes I'm sure you should be able to find out which gliders were where and when, the vintage glider world is a very busy and vibrant one! I flew some of my course over a snow covered field and landed just in front of a hailstorm!  And thanks for the hint! It will be a little while before I can go 'All Out!' yet though...

Tim

I would buy one! So please count me in.  :thumbsup:

Two years in the ATC, and I never even got to see a glider, let alone fly in one. In fact, in those two years, I didn't get off the ground once. I often wonder if our CO suffered from vertigo or something. :shrug:

All he seemed worried about was drill and parade ground bull. 

Regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Telford! Great show, loads of very positive feedback on the glider prototypes, some wonderful offers of assistance with the project, and loads of requests and suggestions for future projects. 

Thanks indeed to the show organisers, and to everyone who called by for a chat, and especially Iain and Derek, without whom I would have gone hungry!

But top thanks to my wife Hilly, who did all the`driving! Table booked for 2015 already...

10156064_651411161644766_170305597000988

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

A bit more progress, Al kindly sent a few more drawings, so I have adjusted the dihedral which was a bit excessive, and repositioned the front cockpit rear bulkhead, which is at a slight angle, not vertical. You live and learn....

f3d410ed39e33f141b9def218703e720_large.j

More soon, and thanks again to everyone who stopped by for a chat at Telford. Don't forget to drop me a line if you want to go on the mailing list. 

Tim