B-17G 'A Bit O' Lace'

Iain

I mentioned I had a few more bits on the way - so great to get home to a small box and an envelope waiting for me this evening...

More of Eduard's finest - for the Cockpit and Nose areas, along with some Eduard Brassin exhausts which really are quite exquisite:

IMG_8146_zpszms4y32s.jpg

And thinks to a very, very kind person of this parish (thanks Phartycr0c!) I now have the Kits World decals for 'Bit O' Lace' - absolutely magic!

IMG_8147_zpshhqy1eix.jpg

Should be one more small parcel en-route from Hannants - then calling it quits on 'aftermarket'!

Iain

Iain,

are you building Bit O Lace?  Dumb question...did you not that BOL has none staggered waste windows with the 3 panel windows?  what are you planning.  The future HK Fmodel has the none staggered waist window configuration but doesn't have the 3 panel windows in the kit.

Bruce

Cheers Peter :)

Hi Bruce - yup aware - moving opening back on starboard side should be straightforward. Going to make some patterns for the windows and vac in PETG on my machine. That's theory anyhow.

BTW - aiming to get some of the engines we discussed in post at some point next week - will advise.

Iain

What issue of air modeller magazine is the B17 article?

Mike

It was spread out over several issues, across the course of about 18 months or so, if I remember rightly. That's why David ultimately packaged the articles together and released them as a standalone publication:

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/product.php?productid=18622

Kev

Cheers Peter :)

Hi Bruce - yup aware - moving opening back on starboard side should be straightforward. Going to make some patterns for the windows and vac in PETG on my machine. That's theory anyhow.

BTW - aiming to get some of the engines we discussed in post at some point next week - will advise.

Iain

I've wanted to build my B-17 with the non staggered windows and 3 panel window and had planned on vac-forming new ones but just can seem to get a master really started.  I've gathered all sorts of pics of the waist window and you have to do 2 masters because the windows aren't symmetric.  Thanks for the heads up on the engines.

Bruce

Bruce - yup - handed left and right - and they overlap onto the skin around the opening...

We'll see how it goes!  :)

Dan - I'm doing her as she appears in the Charles E Brown photos taken during a Squadron flypast after VE Day - very weathered and a real patchwork quilt of effects!

Iain

OK - no presmies in the post today (maybe tomorrow Mr Postie?) - so this evening I have mostly been pondering on first moves over the weekend...

• Moving the starboard waist gun position back - this looks straightforward - have worked out where to make cuts - but will have to be very careful when reinstating the rivet detail when I fill the old hole with styrene sheet.
  • Waist windows - a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox!  ;) Involves sheet plastic, the kit windows, a round file and some Milliput to make a master for vaccing - will do Port side first - and if that works...
  • Wingtips - there's a vent moulded in the kit - Bit O Lace had two vents (known as TT vents I believe?) that are further forward. Need these to be neat and symmetrical - have thoughts around making a mould in RTV rubber from some of the other wing vents and casting a couple of resin 'inserts' for the wingtips. Watch this space...
  • Front fuselage 'flattening' in front of windshield - probably drop a few mm - have plan - will execute.

I know you want to see photo's, or it didn't happen, but I need to be structured in my approach to this or, oh look, another squirrel!

And I don't want that!!

Steve - try to get to Telford this year - suspect you'll see a few!!

Have fun!

Iain