IL-2M3 Sturmovik by Hobby Boss

Hello all!! For my second entry in the GB i'll try the Sturmovik from HB. I can't remember the last time i built a Soviet/Russian aircraft, might have been a MiG-21 in Cuban markings a long time ago. I know less than zero about these aircraft, great opportunity to learn about them. I have no aftermarket for it beyond an Eduard canopy set, haven't tried looking for more yet. The decals that came in the kit do look attractive will probably use them. First Hobby Boss kit for me, looks ok on initial inspection

IMG_4888_zpsh3zpfngo.jpg

Couldn't find info on the variant Winkle flew, i understand there were a few of them. I'll go with this one, honestly didn't care for the one with skis.

Don

I will say, this isn't a Hasegawa kit, lots of parts, engineering looks "odd", the aircraft itself looks....odd.Will take longer than the Tony and i should get  Drs. ok to go back to work next week, so time will be back to normal. 

Don

Yup, this is going to be fun!! Had a look around last night, did find a Montex mask set that i liked and a set of HGW belts. Ordered these up, hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have these. Kit comes with a good assortment of ordie, will have to sort through for what i'll use. There is a lot of good info on these aircraft, lots of links on some of the builds right here on LSP. This is definitely not pretty aircraft, not like the elegant lines of a Spifire. I read it being described as "agricultural" in looks....like farming equipment....

Don

Well, i've found a way to drive myself nuts!! Never done a WW2 Russian aircraft, so i did a search on paint colors and camo layouts.....after many many hours, i find there seems to be a LOT of controversy and opinion on proper colors. Builds i've seen of the same aircraft show vastly different colors and patterns, paints by AKAN and Mr.Paint seem to be the best matches but even they are open to controversy and opinion.....I have found some good sites for references

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/index.html

I think what i'll end up doing is using a bit of the "looks right to me" accuracy method, i have found mix formulas for Tamiya paints, and found they did a 1/48 kit that i should be able to get colors or mixes from.

The kit comes with two BIG 37mm underwing cannons that i wanted to use, come to find this version with the swept wings or Arrow wings didn't carry them. Wings are metal so the kit wings are OK, but the rear fuselage is wood, so all the panel lines and rivets on the rear fuselage need to be filled. Looking at the parts for the cockpit they looked simple, but  looking at pics of the real pit show it is pretty simple, will be adding HGW belts. There is a big omission of a panel line around the wing root area, need to do something about it, hopefully rescribe is enough.

Don

Great to see this one, Don!

I totally agree about the color controversies. I went with AKAN lacquers on most of mine and liked them, but this is just one area where it's really hard to prove what's "right". Go with your gut and how you think it should look and it will be fine, I'm sure.

:popcorn:

John

Great to see this one, Don!

I totally agree about the color controversies. I went with AKAN lacquers on most of mine and liked them, but this is just one area where it's really hard to prove what's "right". Go with your gut and how you think it should look and it will be fine, I'm sure.

:popcorn:

John

Hello John!! Saw your excellent build, gave me great ideas on colors. The Tamiya instruction sheet gave their choices, not too thrilled with them, but they give me a base to work with. The tan color i've read is close to coffee with milk, XF-57 Buff looks close but i think needs to be greyer. XF-55 Deck Tan looks close but needs to be browner. Going to try the Buff with Light Gull Grey, see what that gets me. Not looking for exact but " how you think it should look" as you said. 

Yup!! That's one of the places i looked that gave a lot of info and links...also made my head hurt :lol:  Been playing with paint all afternoon, getting there...Thanks, Dennis!!

Don

Nice choice of subject Don. I haven't seen one of these built so I'll be happy to follow along.

Carl

Should be fun, Carl!! I'm going to wait 'til the Montex masks arrive before choosing paint ( truth is it's starting to make my head spin ) so i went on with the build. Assembled the stabilizer parts, fit on these were great, won't need more than a quick sanding. The trim tab actuators are a little thick, might rework these. Built enough of the engine to hang the exhaust and prop, what little i built went together well. Did some work on the wing/fuselage joints, dryfitting showed they were going to need a bit of work.pics show seams and uneven fit.

IMG_4892_zps6p8kuqox.jpg

IMG_4894_zpsb9xla6vf.jpg

IMG_4895_zpsjp5izncb.jpg

I found by trimming edges of some of the parts, shown highlighted in red, i could improve the fit.

IMG_4897_zpsiqjqsobn.jpg

IMG_4898_zpsbthjbade.jpg

IMG_4899_zpsrdsfqsbx.jpg

IMG_4900_zps5let6eyb.jpg

IMG_4903_zpsmmgiwrfg.jpg

By scraping away plastic at these areas and constantly dryfitting i got this.

IMG_4901_zpsuf5dnx9d.jpg

IMG_4902_zpswkic99mo.jpg

IMG_4904_zpsskyi61ig.jpg

I would rather rework and scrape away to try and fix the fit than apply putty/filler, makes things easier for me. I think the fit of the kit is definitely not like Tamiya or Hasegawa, but with a little work is very good

Don