I was curious about that tan color interior and wondered why everyone was going with that color. Thanks for the link!

(I too, have one in the stash now...)

I do the same as well with the exhaust. But I've been using Tamiya's low speed drill. Does the job and I don't have to take the Dremel out of the box and plug it in.

Edited by Shaka HI

Thanks guys!

I started a new job mid-week, so there's been no progress until this morning, when I tried plumbing the LHS cockpit wall. References are a little sketchy as to my knowledge there aren't any surviving Ki-61s (at least not in museum condition) and I had to rely on other modelers' scratchbuilds or views of the Aires pit to figure out how to plumb it.

But plumb it I did:

LHSpit_zps0wdxhxqf.jpg

I figure this should add a little interest to the pit once the fuselage is buttoned up. The putty at the top will of course be sanded down later today.

Have a great weekend!

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing's been done on this build for about two weeks due to various factors (work and home renos being chief among them), but with the long weekend here I hope to rectify that. So far I managed a whole 15 minutes at the desk this afternoon and textured the seat cushioning and headrest.

IMG_0040_zpstl2ivoxp.jpg

I also, at an earlier date, thinned out the sides of the seat tub; just bringing that up as this is the first time I've photographed that work. Next up: plumbing the right sidewall of the pit.

Darren

Edited by The1971Show

Adding texture to the seat fabric is a whole new level of detailing Darren, quite worrying really!!! :) :)

Max

LOL thanks! Speaking of a whole new level of detailing though, one of the photos which I'm using for reference/inspiration is of Douglas Craner's Ki-61 which I found (and quickly downloaded) a photo of on the Aviation Of Japan blog. I doubt I'll reach his level of artistry, but it's fun trying.

Darren

Progress this morning: the right sidewall is now plumbed.

IMG_0041_zpsrb8vz5of.jpg

The larger conduit is off at an angle for now because it'll have to clear the framing around the seat when the fuse is buttoned up. I had some leftover lead foil cut into strip, so I added straps to the pedals while I was at it:

IMG_0043_zpswi4lshba.jpg

Next will be finishing the assembly and plumbing of the cockpit floor. Probably won't get that done today.

Darren

Edited by The1971Show

OK, so as I threatened hinted at earlier today, I've got a Hasegawa 1:32 Ki-61 'Tony' and by gum I'm gonna build it. Cue the de rigeur shot of the box:

photo%201_zpsvchfv0fn.jpg

And the reference material I picked up for the occasion:

photo%202_zpsryd0hfp3.jpg

And what I hope will be the only aftermarket I purchase for this build:

photo%203_zpserywuzy6.jpg

The seatbelts look impressive, but they've got me worried because you only get a lap belt and at least one Ki-61 build I've seen shows a shoulder harness as well, which doesn't come with this set. I'm still trying to ascertain if I have to add one, but if anyone knows please let me know.

The Kagero book indicates that Brown flew a captured Tony in San Diego after the war, possibly the one captured by the Marines on Okinawa. If that was the case, it may well also have sported its distinctive red, white & blue paint job applied shortly after capture. I'd really rather do an example still in Japanese service, so this model won't be living up to the spirit of this group build 100% but I hope I can do something pretty neat anyway.

The cockpit is still under assembly, but once I start showing some paint there will be photos.

Darren

You may enjoy this interview where he speaks about a dogfight with Tony's.

https://youtu.be/6zFWpUUcoMA?list=PLvy6N6HWNj27RqMLDIKA9Ew6M3KCxPQln

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, MPK, I only watched bits of it because of its length, but I did catch the part about the Tonys over Clark Field... and the assault on the scheduling officer. :fight:

OK, this is probably the last progress I'm going to make on the kit for a couple of weeks as starting Friday my parents are in from Vancouver and my hobby room doubles as the guest bedroom. But anyway! I finished the canopy latches and some more plumbing on the cockpit floor before hitting the pit with some Tamiya XF-51. It looks a little light in these photos, but it seems pretty dark in real life and is essentially a primer coat/pre-shade:

IMG_0050%202_zpsuyl8b71i.jpg

IMG_0049_zpsnwe4vaob.jpg

IMG_0048_zpsnmi2i1kp.jpg

I'll be hitting this later with various coats of Vallejo "Japanese army khaki" - I'm gravitating towards the opinion that the cockpit interior and a few other areas on the airframe are probably the same shade of khaki the IJA used as a base coat on much of its ground equipment, as opposed to the RLM 79 the Hasegawa instructions call for. RLM 79 seems the best match for this in Gunze's repertoire, anyway.  ;)  For further reference, here's a photo of part of a Ki-100 cockpit which was posted recently on Panagiotis' Japanese Aviation page on Facebook:

14358733_1901292120099949_48658913185598

That's all for now, see you sometime after Canadian Thanksgiving!

Darren

Edited by The1971Show

• 1 month later...