BloorwestSiR

Here they are on the tailplanes:

IMG_20150228_215802.jpg

Then it was time to do the "No Step" on the starboard wing and the "No Push" on the port one. 

IMG_20150228_221515.jpg

Here are the finished results. It's a bit of work but I think they were worth it. I found a couple spots where I did get a bit of overspray but it's not much and will be a quick fix.

IMG_20150228_230706.jpg

IMG_20150228_230717.jpg

IMG_20150228_230724.jpg

Carl

Hi Dutik,

The stuff is low tack painter's tape. I pick it up here at our local hardware or house paint stores. it's low tack enough that it doesn't always stick especially to curves. I use it to fill in around the Tamiya tape. It's so much cheaper.

As for paint creep, I thinned the Tamiya paint to about 60:40 thinner to paint and very lightly sprayed it on. It was a bunch of light coats to build up the colour. There are a couple of places where it's a bit might but that gives it a bit of a faded look. You can seen on one of the walkway markings on the starboard wing  where I did get a bit of bleeding. I pulled the airbrush needle back a bit too quick and got a large spray of paint. That was the only time that I had any paint bleed though.

Carl

Small update. I have going through my options for the ejection seats. I'm planning to build this one with the canopy closed for once so I figured I don't need to get too detailed with the seats. The choices I have are the three: Eduard Brassin seats,  Black Box seats, and the kit seats with Eduard PE belts. With my decision to close the canopies, I decided I would save the Brassin seats for a later build. So I started on the other two. I painted the seats with Tamiya NATO black and the cushions Olive Drab. I then painted the moulded on belts dark green on the Black Box seats and started the labourious task of bending and attaching the PE belts to the kit seats. Here's what they look like after a couple of belts were on:

IMG_20150306_212901.jpg

To me, the Eduard belts just look too stiff, Since they're pre-printed there's no real way to anneal them and get them to have a more natural looking sag. Plus there are ridiculous amount of belts to attach. I wish that the HGW would make some modern belt sets. So I'm going to finish up the Black Box seats and get those installed. I like that they have a different belt layout on each one and they're not identical.

I also painted the MLG wheels. I masked off the wheel and sprayed Tamiya Rubber Black on the tires.

IMG_20150306_215933.jpg

So a bit more progress.

Carl

Thanks Jack, the seats need the ejection pull handles and some touch ups and I'll think they'll be ok.

I worked on the engines finally and painted the flame holder faces. I used Gunze Steel for this while the cone in the centre is Tamiya Desert Yellow.

IMG_20150306_222725.jpg

With my earlier test fitting, the pair of engines and burner cans were just slipped into place.

IMG_20150309_003052.jpg

For the cans themselves, I painted them with Alclad Jet Exhaust followed by a coat of Pale burnt Iron. 

IMG_20150309_003046.jpg

As you can see from the above pic, the small trim panel along the side hasn't been fitted yet. I noticed that it was leaving a small gap top and bottom probably as a result of the cans being larger in diameter. I've glued a couple strips of styrene to either end and will sand and re-finish it before I attach it.

IMG_20150309_003107.jpg

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

It`s been a while but I`m still plugging away at the build. I did a rare thing for one of my builds and sprayed a clear coat on the model. Mostly this was due to the nose being finished in a gloss Gunship Grey but I figured it could`t hurt with the decalling. 

IMG_20150318_224538.jpg

Close up of the nose:

IMG_20150318_224545.jpg

The instructions are fairly thorough as far as placement goes. They even outline the small difference in the Ejection Seat arrow markings on the aircraft between the London show and the later Dayton one.

IMG_20150318_224558.jpg

The tail fin and the intake splitter:

IMG_20150318_224632.jpg

Now the bad news. I masked and painted the canopies but I can`t find them anywhere on my workbench. I have a bad feeling they accidently went out with the trash...

I`ve found the canopies from my first Tamiya F-4 kit, but they`re light  gull grey so I`m going hti them with some Tamiya lacquer thinner tonight and try to strip some 20 year paint off them. Hopefully they`ll be usable.

Carl

So, here`s a set of canopies that have cluttering my workbench for close to 20 years for no real reason that I can think of and now they have a use. But first, I have to clean off their original Gull Grey, overspray and whatnot that they`ve picked up in that time.

IMG_20150319_213228.jpg

I started with the front windscreen. I used a cotton bud dipped in Tamiya lacquer thinner and slowly wiped off the paint and other stains. It left the clear plastic a bit hazy looking but, it did not affect the plastic otherwise. 

IMG_20150319_213535.jpg

The haze looks to be residue from the paint. To remove it, I used some fine rubbing compound. This is the final result. 

IMG_20150319_214102.jpg

I then repeated this with the remaining three canopy sections.

IMG_20150319_214315.jpg

IMG_20150319_214723.jpg

IMG_20150319_215909.jpg

I wasn`t able to completely remove all the paint from the centre section but that one is mostly covered so I`m not too worried. I still can`t believe that I had these lying around for so long and that I`d be needing them. 

Quick work !.........Harv  :popcorn:

I wish!

Actually, it was fairly quick. The paint came off a lot easier than I thought it would. I was a bit concerned if it would mar the plastic at all. Having used it to strip paint on a different kit I was fairly certain it would work andthankfully it.  I did it over two nights though. I stripped and polished the canopies Thursday night and then masked and painted them yesterday evening. 

I painted them tonight with the Neutral Grey and here they are in place to make sure it all looks right.

IMG_20150321_204435.jpg

While they dried, I finished off and applied the last few decals. I had the slime lights and a couple small stencils left so once they`re dry, it`ll be ready for a clear coat and final assembly!

IMG_20150321_224918.jpg

IMG_20150321_224946.jpg

IMG_20150321_224953.jpg

One thing I didn`t notice until now was that the checkers along the intakes are too far back. Not much I can do about now that they`re dry. Oh well.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Just catching up on your Toon ...Brilliant work .. Totally blown away ... just gorgoeus work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter,Mark, Harv and everyone else for dropping in all the time. No new pics but I have the final semi gloss clear coat on now.

I'll think I'll be able to finish it this week. All that's left is attaching the landing gear, flaps, and canopy. Since it's a show bird I don't have to worry about any pesky ordnance for it :P

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR