CF-104 - Hasegawa

LSP_Ron

I'm going to enter this Hasegawa F-104J kit done up in RCAF livery using the Canuck models CF-104 decal sheet.  I already have a NM 104 built so I am either going all green or the later variegated green/grey (leaning to all green). I've just spent over an hour trying to find the 503-101 Olive paint color which isn't easy. The decal instructions say the FS equivalent is FS34063.   I have the IPMS Canada, Canadian Color Chip guide and there are four different shades of 503-101 used over the years. The chip book is the actual paint and MM FS34086 seems like a dead match for the 104? which is closer the the Dutch mix of 503-101 used on the 104. :shrug:

4R70FV8.jpg

ADWizoU.jpg

Thanks guys.  I'll be doing the center 1976 tactical air meet scheme.  1976 is about a year after I started modeling as a kid. I have to research the green more for this one though. It's not standard issue RCAF mix 503-101 Olive. 503-101 is the green used in the variegated scheme below it and the usual green used in the solid all green schemes. It's much darker.

cf104.2.png

I like the coke bottle Red Indian scheme Carl.

MiG%20Story21.jpg

I kinda like the second scheme with the 1 CAG wing tanks. A little more color to break up a monochromatic scheme. That green is always a hard one to nail down, new/old/faded/touched up....I think this is a time to use the "looks good enuff" choice. Do the Variegated scheme, see how much fun it is to match up 3 colors.

Don

Interestingly the Canadian Starfighters book has photos of various shades of green popping up on individual airframes due to retouching etc. My pick would be the CAG scheme with its splashes of colour against the drab finish.

Cheers,

Mike