56 squadron Hurricane I (Revell)

mozart

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one Max.......nice to see another Hurricane build as they seem to be few and far between.

Regards. Andy

I decided to do the Revell one first Andy, an old man's whim I think. Hopefully the PCM one won't be too far off though.

Max

Cool project, Max! I've got roughly 4 (I think they're complete) Revell Hurricanes in the stash, with an assortment of aftermarket for them, including 2 full ragwing conversions from Warbirds. Would love to drag them out some day.

Kev

Do you think you'll have any time for modelling once you get your new iMac then Kev?!!!! Less than you have now I suspect. :)

Max

Following with interest - might even tempt this die-hard Spit fan over to the Dark Side and persuade me to do a Hurri.

You might want a look at this...

Filmed at Rochford in mid/late August 1940 (I was an ATC cadet there in the early 1980's), there is some great footage of 56 Squadron to be had here. (There's some 65 Squadron Spits in there too!)

Thanks for sharing Steve.  I think that's "Jumbo" Gracie at 1:52.  Also pretty sure that clips of this were used in Angels One-Five.

MikeC;

No problems...glad you enjoyed it! I think that is Maurice Mounsdon at 1:46...I think his regular mount was US-C. Like to work out who is climbing into US-X...clearly not Geoffrey Page, he must have been having a miserable time in hospital at the time this was filmed. Must re-read my copy of Tale of a Guinea Pig again!

Edit;

Looking at the footage, US-X could be R4198 which was lost on 28th August over the Thames Estuary. Pilot Officer F B Sutton bailed out badly burnt. Could this be him climbing into US-X here? Incidentally, Mounsdon's US-C was R4197.

Max...sorry if I'm hogging your build thread here...

Regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Not at all Steve, I find it fascinating that you are able to talk so knowledgeably about the squadron and its pilots. Model-making to me is so much more than just the machine, it's very much about the boys who flew them and all that they went through which is also why research is an integral part of my modelling.

Max

Thanks Max, glad you are finding the information useful.

Further edit...

Just checked my copy of Men of the Battle of Britain, and the pilot climbing into R4198 is Frank Sutton. I found a reference that suggested he may have been shot down by a Spitfire on the 28th August, where he then spent a year in hospital! After that, he was posted to the far east.

Another point from the film worth noting. It seems that the Hurricanes have different coloured spinners....I wonder if they are in flight colours? Sutton was in B Flight.

Best regards;
Steve

Interesting Steve, here's the ORB for that day just saying "Crashed, enemy action" though it's clear they were dogfighting with 109s at the time.  I wonder if any Luftwaffe pilot made a claim for R4198?

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-27%20at%2013.48.

R4198 could be a contender for my build especially with that possible history. Is she US-S at the end of the footage, Blue Section scramble?  :)

Max

Edited by mozart

Thanks Steve.  Yes the ORBs are available online from the National Archives but at £3.30 a shot, for say a month's ORBs or perhaps one combat report.  Beware though, it's very easy to waste money because there is no mechanism for previewing the content of each file and the descriptions are of no use whatsoever.  With Summaries, ORBs etc the content varies enormously depending on the skill, the interest and probably the time available for the Adjutant or his clerk compiling the record, and they are not infallible - human error does exist especially when quoting numbers like aircraft serials etc.  If you want to do a bit of digging at the NA online let me know and I'll give you some more detailed advice and precautions.  I go up to the NA several times a year for research purposes, all is free to view then but you have to pay for any printing!

Max

I've been doing a little work on the Hurricane but instead of starting in my usual place, the cockpit, I decided to get stuck into the wings, so major surgery straight away with cutting a whacking great hole underneath:

DSCN9548_zpsncjmc2mn.jpg

...so that it's ready to take the new and exquisite cast wheel well conversion:

DSCN9550_zps8q7j452u.jpg

The main spar with the airtank (plus piping from lead wire) and the two retract rams fitted (piping yet to be added:

DSCN9553_zpsdr7sjxj4.jpg

An overview of the main items:

DSCN9551_zpsfn6gxbdq.jpg

More soon!
Max
Edited by mozart