Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

Hi Dan

Glad to see you are also using the CH kit now.

Are you modifying the Revell kit or building your own nacelles or waiting for the AIMS conversion?

Nick

I was working on the Revell G-4(group build, shelf of doom), I had to put it up for now as every time I modified one part I had to readjust two others in the pit. :hmmm: 

I'm doing my own mods to the nacelles on the CH kit. The G-4 has a lot of distinctive parts and a lot of variances. 

Dan

Hi everyone

This is the aircraft I intend modelling. I could only find the two photos of the actual subject, which would necessitate a bit of detective work and artistic licence. I need to start painting some sub assemblies so I am listing what I intend to do and run this by everyone for comment and suggestions.

Messerschmitt-_Bf-110_G-_Zerstorer-_Gesc

G9_AA.jpg

I believe this aircraft had the FuG 218, so it would make it a fairly late production. It is not from the batch of partly assembled a/c with the yellow fuselage bands and slightly forward facing exhaust pipes. Most profiles show no flame dampers but I believe these were ripped off during the crash landing after which these photos were taken.

So I will do a FuG 218 equipped a/c with flame dampers like the ones Mozart posted photos of on the AIMS conversion thread. I also believed the codes were dark grey (or gray) and not green as depicted on profiles (but I am open to suggestions).

The inside of the cockpit of the Me 110 at Hendon show some color different to the generally accepted overall RLM 66. The ammo bins and armor behind the pilot seat appear to be RLM02 but the interesting one is the armor behind the gunner which appear to be the red brown primer used on armor vehicles. Any comments? I will go with this unless any different proof.

In the mean time I have build the MG 151's and removed the rubber boots from the oleo's. Most late war photos do not show this fitted. The drop tanks all seem to be the flattened bottom ones later in the war. I initially thought of using Hasegawa Me 109 tanks but their fittings at the top are shorter.  I then tried the Hasegawa bottom on the Dragon top. Amazingly a perfect fit. 

The Mg 151's

IMG_2304.jpg

Drop tanks

IMG_2320.jpg

Smooth Oleo's

IMG_2321.jpg

Enjoy and feel free to suggest any improvements.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Great update Nick. Nice work on the Oleo's. I was looking at the different profiles on the fuel tanks, left mine as CH molded them and removed the last segment (pointed end) rounded it off and added some weld beads in the seams. Filled in the first seam. Not sure of the fill cap, may do some work on it... :hmmm:

151's look excellent!  :thumbsup:

Dan

Hi Dan

Nice to see you are on this forum with your build. I am in two minds whether to cut the rear part of the tanks. How did you add the weld beads? I was thinking of using sewing thread. In the mean time I have received the required Montex Mask set and Airscale instruments. The only photos I could find of the G-4 and the C-7 appears to show the kit IP is close enough to a G-4 , so I will go with the kit IP as is with the Airscale instrument decals. Unfortunately the build is not going as quick due to work pressure, but I still hope to have it finished by end of Jan.

Here is a bit of progress wit some sub assemblies.

Nose section and rear armor plate

IMG_2276.jpg

Vhf radio and FuG 218 display. They need to be still moved forward.

IMG_2290.jpg

The prop blades after reworking them. 

IMG_2314.jpg

I hope you like it

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi MMaben 

Hey Nick, here's a G4 profile from Kagero.

I think they're pretty accurate ...

G4%20Kagero.jpg

It's not scaled.

Thanks for the drawing. It seems very accurate. The problem I have with most of the drawings is that they show the DB601 and DB605 nacelles as the same length. The more I look at side on photos , the more I get the impression the DB 605 nacelle was about 3 to 4 inches longer. I have measured the relative lenghts of all the panel lines on all the photos I could get and made my nacelles 3 mm longer than that of the Me 110 E kit. I might be wrong about this but it is just something I noticed when starting this build. Any comments?

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi everyone

I started painting the IP yesterday. I also used the Airscale set of instruments. The molded on dials were carefully removed for a flat surface. The Airscale decals did not match the sizes of the instruments exactly, so I used decal softner on the first decal. This took ages to settle . I then used RP Tools mini punch set to trim the decals. It also removed the small carrier film. Much better result. The only criticism I have of the set it the size changeover between the large and small set. In 1/32 you probably need both sets. The large set maybe for Christmas 2018!

IMG_2335.jpg

Now onto the IP itself. I lightened RLM66 slightly for scale effect. I did not coat the instruments with gloss clear. The German instruments had an anti-reflective coating , so I have not figured out how model something which is there but cannot be seen. :hmmm: ( If the coating is scale,It will not work in the Visible band :rofl: )

IMG_2336.jpg

Here is some more completed parts.

The nose is primed (with he 1/48 inspiration) 

IMG_2333.jpg

The air intake on the right engine Looks a bit rough here but should be better under a coat of primer.

IMG_2332.jpg

I hope you enjoy. Get Pastor John's conversion and join in a group build.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi MMaben 

Thanks for the drawing. It seems very accurate. The problem I have with most of the drawings is that they show the DB601 and DB605 nacelles as the same length. The more I look at side on photos , the more I get the impression the DB 605 nacelle was about 3 to 4 inches longer. I have measured the relative lenghts of all the panel lines on all the photos I could get and made my nacelles 3 mm longer than that of the Me 110 E kit. I might be wrong about this but it is just something I noticed when starting this build. Any comments?

Nick

Hi Nick, the 601 and 605 were the same engine externally.

The 605 had a bigger bore and different timing and a few

other internal differences. I don't know if there were other

changes to the engine compartment that would require a

lengthening of the nacelles but it wouldn't have been

because of the engine change.

Looking very nice so far :speak_cool:

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest.

Mike thanks for the info on the engines. I should have measured the nacelles two years ago when I visited Hendon, but at the time were more concerned with a Ju 88 C6 build. I did not at the time think I would need the info.

Not much progress apart from painting the cockpit. Still a few details to add. This is it so far.

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

If anyone has a picture of the gunners seat in a late G-4 I would appreciate it.

Nick