Revell DH-Sea Venom 1/32

TaffyMan

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year's Taff!

Kai

Hi Kai – Cheers mate back at yer! Bring on the merriment and fireworks :beer4:

HI Taff,

Just wandered if you figured out how to mount the STREAKS?    Over of under? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!  :beer: :beer: :beer4: :beer4: :beer4:

watch'in you  B)

jack

Hi Jack – Thanks for the pressie mate! :bow:  They are made up and awaiting me to finish makeing the mounts. Thought I was there then whilst waiting for something to dry I found the pics that I had put safe – and then couldn't find – oldtimers kicking in!!! :mental:

So I now realise how out I am with my guesswork so am thinking about re-doing them. Oh the joys of scratching! Or adjusting what I have done already and living with it!

So Happy New Year mate and bring on those wizzzzz bangggggs! :popcorn:  

Hi Folks - So after overdoing the season to be fatter and now starting the season to be skinny, getting ready for next time, thought I would roll up the sleeves this weekend and start to bash some more plastic about.

Time to put some weapons on her - OH Yeah!!!! :D - Don't like the rockets you get with the kit they are a bit poor and will need a lot to whip them into shape. Plus after seeing some pics of the Vamp – oh errrr  :whistle:  - sorry Sea Venom with some big arsed Firestreaks hang off of them - there was no choice for me.

So massive thanks to :thumbsup: Jack for streaking them across the Atlantic to my rescue and giving me an early Crimbo Pressies with some Firestreaks from the Trump Lightning. I have seen others being very generous at LSP but this is my first time for receiving a nice helpful package from a fellow LSP'er. It's very humbling so once again massive thanks too you Jack!

So I now - thanks to Jack, the US and UK postal services, have the rockets in my sticky hands. So just need to make some thing to hang them off.

So this is where the Old-timers start's! :shrug: I had a couple of pics - one in a book of the Brit Twin Boomers and one off of the Web…….. Could I find them…….. I put them so safe I have no idea where I put them!

Okay I have the Revel Hunter so I took a look at one of its pylons and (Please forgive me oh gods of Rivet Counters) made it up. I drew out some plans in Illustrator. With the aid of some spray mount stuck them to some plastic sheet and started to cut and sand.

First centre part shaped - wow look at the dust! Next bit lets make some more dust.

052-SeaVenomFAW22_zps27bf4938.jpg

Okay - after a day of FAF and a bit more FAF finally got both pylons all roughed out and pretty much in shape……… So it's at this point that you move something on the desk ……. and ……. guess what there's the printout of the picture plus my book …….. and how far out am I! Oh lets try at least a couple of country miles!!!!! :(

At this point with the aid of bluetack did a test fit to the wing. I am so high that it would be sat on these and not it wheels. Oh the joy of scratching - time to think a bit. :hmmm:

So after some tea and biscuits that Santa gave me, the choice is either start again, re-draw the shape, re-cut etc. Or do some chop on what I had made. Okay nothing to lose so out with the measuring kit and the Dremel.

One before and one after the chop

053-SeaVenomFAW22_zps28e1a2aa.jpg

Then a quick check on the wing - these are pretty low-slung plane so there really isn't much room - and now I have found the pics I realise they are mounted practically on the wings leading edge. I will cheat a bit here as I am using the kit holes to make sure I am lined up so I am not going as far forward as the pic indicate.

Test fit of the Mk 2 - thats better, think I can live with the wrong shape, size and position - But I don't what to get to bogged down - Keep saying to myself, this was meant to be an easy therapy build to get me going again!

054-SeaVenomFAW22_zps6583e604.jpg

Also noticed as I was doing the pics that somehow I have managed to get lots of black dust from somewhere embedded in the gloss coat - Ah Well Onward! :unsure:

Next thing was to shape them to the wings bottom profile. First I marked up the wing lengthwise with a pencil roughly lining up with where it will sit. Next a combination of Spray Mount and tape was used to hold a piece of sand paper down. Then yet more sanding - whilst I trying to hold the pylon as vertical as I could. It's the only way I could think of getting the profile

A test fit nearly there

055-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsb7e2311b.jpg

So after repeating for the other side, I first filled the kit holes in the wings with some plastic rod and some supper glue. This was rubbed flat and smooth. Then using my paper template and pencil marks, marked up the drill holes - bit of drilling and some thin brass tube I did my final test fit

056-SeaVenomFAW22_zps661ad5b5.jpg

OHHHHH Yeay I do like that - worth the PIA! They look like a couple of booster rockets…… Cool! :D

Hers a couple more - just checking I'm lined up honest. ;)

Front

057-SeaVenomFAW22_zps8f536b26.jpg

Side

058-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsb6e7435c.jpg

Also from these pics you can see I have done some other bits - Gun Spent Cart chutes, I gave these a bit of a dig in the ends to make them look hollow. Really wish Revel had given me some holes to help line them up. In fact if I ever do another one of these I would most probably drill them out of the Fuse so that That they sit in - also looking at pics they do seem a bit long. Plus the aerial and the bottom air intake - this got the front hollowed out.

Whilst looking at pics there seemed to be quit a bit more detail around the nose area than you get with the kit. I did try and mask this to use paint like others I have seen around here use. But my skill factor let me down - uhhhmm  :hmmm:  wonder how much a little vinyl mask cutter would cost would come in handy for stuff like this plus roundels, markings etc. Anyway back to it so using some drytac micro double-sided sheets. I spray mounted my printouts on top and did some very careful cutting. Not sure how this will look when painted but an experiment - we'll see how it goes! Then used some Airscale cockpit brass bits to add some more detail.

060-SeaVenomFAW22_zps07e0f27d.jpg

Yep you guessed it the IFF aerial lasted ohhhh 2 minutes then pinged off somewhere. It did leave a slight indent bit that was the supper glue. This I will use at the end of the painting to replace it and line it up.

Some other bits done. The under wing launch hooks. And how FAF where they but should look quite nice with a splash of colour on the underside

059-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsd1dbbb8e.jpg

Then it was time to drill a bunch of holes in the wings, Fuselage and booms so I can put the aerials on latter. A quick wash and wipe down.

At last spray paint time! YEAHHHH oh look white plastic……. has now become white primer!! :mental:  Ah so much white!

061-SeaVenomFAW22_zps38998709.jpg

I will let this all harden up before a give it a gentle rub back then pre-shade next.

Hope you enjoyed it - starting to turn the corner to the end game. So till the next time have fun and Happy New Year to all - Taff :D  

Hi Taff,

Happy to help and I love they way they look hanging on the wings. Now if you were just painting it in a Desert Camo

that would be so COOL :thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm stuck on Desert Camo for some reason and I really love the Middlestone , Dark Earth and Azur Blue of the WW 2 RAF

I also love the In-flight pose.

watch'in you :punk: :punk: :punk:

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Kev, Jack, Loic, and Kai - Cheers guys for looking in and posting, helps to inspire me on! :thumbsup:

Hi All - Up-date Covering some of the White YEAAAAAHHHHH! :yahoo:

First - still all white so started to add some pre-shading cause the bottom is staying white I have used a lighter grey here. I also added a bit of brown to the grey to warm it up (looks a bit more dirt) around the wheels and jet pipe. These where pretty well looked after ladies so I am not going too dirty and trying to keep her clean-ish and give her a bit of shine! honist I am trying :whistle:

062-SeaVenomFAW22_zps0f287130.jpg

The top got a lot more black added to darken as this needs to show through a the Extra Dark Sea Grey. I have made up some of the panel lines as there is very little surface detail on the kit - just did a guess-d-mit on where they are as hopefully that should blend and just add a bit of interest rather than flatfish Grey and White areas. Well thats the plan we will see where my very rough painting technique takes me!

063-SeaVenomFAW22_zps4393557c.jpg

:hmmm: Hummmm Started to mix up my white enamel paint for the bottom but the paint had gone a bit gloop and it didn't spray very well - So I ended up using the Halfords White Primer. A bit industrial blasting and very difficult to control the coverage but am reasonably happy with the results. This primer goes off real quick, so I checked the can and turns out to be acrylic! Which I didn't realise, I thought it was like their Grey enamel primer so I hope it doesn't coarse me any issues latter?

The bottom base paint done

064-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsc7bd2240.jpg

After a couple of hours fiddle and FAF with masking the white areas off. It was time to start the top colour - YEAHHHH NOT WHITE!!!!! :yahoo:

mixed up some thin Humbrol 123 Extra Dark Sea Grey and started laying several thin layers as this will be for my base colour

Got this after 5 light coats.

065-SeaVenomFAW22_zps51be78f4.jpg

Okay let the fun begin - I am very aware of the dangers of large areas of flat grey so I wanted to try and add some texture and depth to the grey. So thought I would try and experiment with the Salt Paint Technique. So this is where it could all go horribly wrong!  :shrug:  I have looked into this and it sounds simple enough - water - salt - paint - more water!!!!! Danger! Danger! Will Robinson Danger!. Simple what could go wrong!

Okay here we go. I always work on the don't know if you don't try bias. I know some people put a clear coat on first but I am missing that step - just don't want to many clear layers.

So water sprayed on and several grades of salt added. Small finer on the vertical surfaces and bigger chunks on the flat.

066-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsf304097f.jpg

So after letting it dry, I mixed up a dark Gray (123 + black) and layed down several light coats. More towards the inner wing and back of the wings and around the jet areas.

HUMMMM spotty

067-SeaVenomFAW22_zps434bbb20.jpg

So of to the bath - Well more a scrub with an old tooth brush as I am try not to get the masked areas to wet - water and tape are not so good bed fellows!

Next round of salt for the light - repeat small on the vertical heavier on the flats. Then a mix of 123 + a light grey 126 + a dot of my gloop white.

After a scrub I achieved this - looks like its been attacked by a fungus! So still fingers crossed this works!

068-SeaVenomFAW22_zps3bcf9947.jpg

Then to blend it all back together and knock back the dottiness and fungus look - several top coats of the 123. Should of gone with black on the pre-shade as it is practically gone - but is still there........ just very subtle! Perhaps not so bad but would had preferred a little bit more. Suppose could try bit of post shade, Not sure my painting is up to that yet and I think I will run an hide whilst I'm ahead!

069-SeaVenomFAW22_zps1c95050c.jpg

So a closer look. Hum? My hope is as I apply the oil dot layer it should add a bit of subtle visual interest / texture. Well thats my hope and plan - only time will tell!

070-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsb9664abc.jpg

071-SeaVenomFAW22_zps7e3ce0cb.jpg

Back In a Mo with some more

Taff :D

Hi back with more!

This was left for a couple of days to really dry off. Then a knock back with a car finishing cloth to smooth out the surface. Next job is to mask up the nose and give it it's puppy dog nose - all black and shiny! Bit of Humbrol 85 - considering this is a Satin finish looks pretty darn glossy to me

072-SeaVenomFAW22_zps03f6ea11.jpg

Okay moved this to the side to dry and though I would get on with some of the little bits - The Hook, sprayed the white primer. Masked off for an undercoat of aluminium moved it over to dry and snap - bugger it caught an edge as i moved to dry. Doh!

073-SeaVenomFAW22_zps60a61621.jpg

Darn! Do I fix it now or the other choice is as I stick on the plane as it will have more support less chance of a droop out of line - but then it will be harder for me to get at it to make sure it is a clean join. It is now very early in the morning and I think I will give up for tonight and have another look at the weekend - So leave on a positive note - I'll give you a couple of pics with the masks off. Couple of little clean ups but not many!

The bottom

075-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsecae768a.jpg

and a couple from the side

074-SeaVenomFAW22_zps7ed58e93.jpg

076-SeaVenomFAW22_zps6aa40b45.jpg

Nice and I do like the big black snoopy schnoz look and at last it's not so white!!!

Till next time Happy Days - Taff :D

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Holy Cow what amazing progress and what a series of photo updates . Well done. The salt weathering and blending looks spot on and with the oils, should be dead on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter