USMC Skyraider

TimW

• 2 weeks later...

Never give up, never surrender!

IMG_20150816_083212847_zpsdok2zogb.jpg

IMG_20150816_083207343_HDR_zpsorgpaswe.j

IMG_20150816_083201847_HDR_zpsxjb7ziyl.j

Working on the weapons as well, which will consist of a couple of 500 lb bombs and a bunch of 5" rockets.

In the home stretch...was stressing a bit about all the PE that goes behind the pilot's headrest---then I noticed most operational SPADs appear to have a canvas cover over all that stuff.  

Ha--problem solved!

Stay tuned,

Tim W.

Hey Tim, really looking great. I'm going to build mine with the same -121 markings, as Dad was in that squadron with the AD's in 1952. Gotta a couple questions though. Couldn't really tell in the pictures, but what color did you paint the interior? If it's green, what brand/shade did you use? thanks for any help.

Chuck

Hey Tim, really looking great. I'm going to build mine with the same -121 markings, as Dad was in that squadron with the AD's in 1952. Gotta a couple questions though. Couldn't really tell in the pictures, but what color did you paint the interior? If it's green, what brand/shade did you use? thanks for any help.

Chuck

Hi Chuck--

Per the instructions that came with the Aires cockpit set and based on my own understanding, the interior is grey.  I think I used Model Master Neutral Grey 1725 with a bit of black added to darken things up just a tad.  You can see the grey I was aiming at here:

http://misc.kitreview.com/bookreviews/images/skyraiderbookreviewrk_back.jpg

The landing gear bays are Interior Green with a bit of yellow added to make it more Zinc Chromate-y.   I did weathering with a dark wash with black paint/thinner and drybrush silver highlights for wear and tear.

Hope this helps--I'll be taking more pix shortly.

Cheers,

Tim W.