F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

Anthony, do a quick google search for something like 1/32 KASL F-16 exhaust, you will get a bunch of hits. I ordered mine via a link from their FB page but looks like a few online stores carry them now. They are teally friendly and professional to deal with.

I have the exhaust. I was looking for the 1/32 F-16A/B tail. I know they do the 1/32 Parapack, and the A/B tail/fuselage in 1/48 but not 1/32. 

Thx Mark :-)

Thought I'd show some pics that illustrate how I'm approaching the cockpits.

First off the Tamiya Block 30 cockpit... I spent a fair bit of time cutting plastic to make the Avionix resin fit as well as possible. By my standards, that's as good as it gets (all dry-fitted at this point).

DSC_0175%202_zpsf9uzvsep.jpg

So the above is nothing new, really.

But here is some nice news on the B cockpit, which is that I am able to fit the True Details F-16A cockpit meant for the Hasegawa kit into the front hole... it really works out quite nicely:

DSC_0174%202_zpsxqtklvww.jpg

As for the rear cockpit, I will need to spend quite some time dressing it up.

Here is a comparison of IP's. From left to right Avionix Block 30, True Details F-16A and then the Academy rear IP. You'll notice that I have started adjusting the rear IP to turn it into a B.

DSC_0176_zpscnemiurg.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, just a quick update: I am rescoping this project. I will continue with the F-16C Block 30 Alaska blue aggressor, but am parking the B and will be substituting that with a NSAWC F-16A as shown here:

https://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/55.-F-16A.-NSAWC.-NAS-Fallon-with-Mount-Augusta-in-the-back-ground.jpg

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/image.php?src=/operators/usn/f-16/img_5779.jpg

http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/8/7/1304785.jpg?v=v40

I really love that blue-nosed F-16A plus I was finding limited synergistic value between assembling the Tamiya and Academy kits (I will now be building/modifying two Tamiya Thunderbirds kits). The Academy kit can be build into a great model but needs a lot more attention than does the Tamiya kit. An example of this is the gun area which is wrong on the Academy kit and will require some intricate work.

I definitely intend completing the B at a later time, maybe even right after finishing the A and the C. 

In the mean time, I have come quite a long way with the cockpits, will be showing all of that shortly.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

Can't beleive that I missed the start of your duel build. But I've already pulled up my favorite chair, and I just recieved my supply of dieter's popcorn  :popcorn: , so I'm set to go. This should really be a cutting edge build thread with your skill set, plus I consider you one of the best painters I've ever seen. While I know almost nothing about jets, your decision to switch to a F16-A, so that both builds will be the Tamiya kit makes perfect sense. 

Joel

Once again Marcel I'll be on the front row following along!! great choices and I'm sure the outcome will be as usual great!

I'd love to see your models together with that Eagle Chuck is building!! I'm sure they will look awesome at the end!!

The only question is where will the two of you meet up so you can do a full photo shoot? You two don't even live on the same continent.  :shrug: 

Joel

Oh sweet! I'm glad you are doing the blue jet.  I'm building the gray version of that jet so I will be watching your build for sure.  Let me know how you source the decals for that.  I was thinking about having masks made but I have no Idea who or how. 

Bryan

Guys, really appreciate the enthusiasm!

Jari, thx for the links... I was going to do "55" but may change gears to "61" instead.

Chuck, yeah, there will be some serious weathering going down. But I will be following a more "natural" path, i.e. start with a much lighter faded shade and then apply the unbleached shades and touch-ups as seen on the pics.

Harold, you'll be seeing some of your pods here :-)

Bryan, I will do a post which details the masking specs I have come up with for this, the Masks will be sourced from Maketar.

Vandy, Two Bobs did do a sheet but it is impossible to come by. Microscale covered the F-16N's.

Cheers,

Marcel