Lukgraph Vought SBU-1 Corsair

Jan_G

SBU-1ofScoutingPlaneSquadronForty-OneVS-

This is brand new resin model from Lukgraph.  :)

Was really looking forward for it because it`s not so well known plane, but really nice one. And you can choose from several colorfull schemes. Initially I was thinking that I will start build it after I will finish my current ongoing project. But I could not resist after I have opened box and saw all that resin parts and nice additions. 

So I will run this build along with my Uhu and Me-262 projects.

What is in box?

IMG_1384_zpso4vjz0da.jpg

several bags with resin parts

IMG_1391_zpsc51dzlwe.jpg

instructions

IMG_1417_zpsszrujmou.jpg

PE`s

IMG_1420_zpsugqwxx1o.jpg

nice additional stuff (personalized card, canopy masks, stickers with unit emblems....)

IMG_1419_zpskysyehpi.jpg

some resin parts details

IMG_1411_zpsklh7wrye.jpg

IMG_1412_zpsensckntz.jpg

IMG_1413_zps80buxapt.jpg

IMG_1416_zpsg6eh5au0.jpg

There is almost no evidence of armed SBU`s available (with machine-gun and bombs). So most probably I will build it with flaps closed, with wing bomb racks attached and without machine-gun. Want to build VS-41 or VS-42 plane (assigned to USS Ranger) and want to focus on cockpit area because it will be quite visible when finished.

I have started as usual with gluing of upper wing

there is no dihedral so quite easy step.

IMG_1425_zpsjt5fnchi.jpg

I decided to create new cockpit internal frames out of metal tubes, just because it looks better then resin parts

IMG_1421_zpsizw5flwf.jpg

IMG_1422_zps59i1oztj.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

Awesome work again Jan ... very much looking forward to this one. :popcorn:

Jim

Thanks Jim!

+ 1 !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert!

Cool project, Jan! How did you come across this one so quickly! We haven't even received our review sample yet, and it was destined to be one of the first out of the moulds. Looking forward to your progress!

Kev

Thanks Kevin! I have preordered one after it was announced. and its not so far away to my place, delivery took only 4 days. It looks like great kit.

jan

• 3 weeks later...

small update on SBU

started some work on engine

IMG_1484_zpstjh5hhc3.jpg

I have added just some wires in cockpit, now ready for some wash, fading and pigments

IMG_1485_zpsgpxdpusw.jpg

IMG_1486_zps31r7kb2o.jpg

IMG_1494_zps3hnbcbnq.jpg

IMG_1496_zpsabw3ttul.jpg

IMG_1497_zpslrbqffsb.jpg

IMG_1501_zpsgbqj9tib.jpg

fit is great so far...

IMG_1502_zpsr7sqcdjc.jpg

instrument panels glued with epoxy to create glazing effect

IMG_1511_zpstavvy4ms.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

Jan,

It is looking good and I am about to start on mine after its arrival yesterday. 

Not sure if you have closed up the fuselage yet, but if you have not, I would recommend that you adjust the colors used for the cockpit and crew area.  I know that Lukgraph calls out interior green, but the inner fabric surfaces should be white while the metal sections should be aluminum lacquer.  There is some debate as to whether the SBU-1s had their cockpits repainted when the Navy shift from the grey paint to the aluminum color since they were delivered before the transition, but I believe the consensus is that when an aircraft went through major overhaul they were repainted.  Interior green and bronze green did not start appearing in most Navy aircraft until late 1940 or 1941 for new production.   

Definitely not a criticism of your work, its top notch.  I have an erection and maintenance manual for the type, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

BW   

Jan,

Not sure if you have closed up the fuselage yet, but if you have not, I would recommend that you adjust the colors used for the cockpit and crew area.  I know that Lukgraph calls out interior green, but the inner fabric surfaces should be white while the metal sections should be aluminum lacquer.  There is some debate as to whether the SBU-1s had their cockpits repainted when the Navy shift from the grey paint to the aluminum color since they were delivered before the transition, but I believe the consensus is that when an aircraft went through major overhaul they were repainted.  Interior green and bronze green did not start appearing in most Navy aircraft until late 1940 or 1941 for new production.   

BW

Thanks Brandon for you input. I really apreciate all info which can bring some light into these not so well documented planes builds  :)

Did not close the fuselage yet, so I have no problem to change the colors but I just want to make sure.

I read an article about this shift from gray to aluminium laquer, that`s why I didn`t paint cockpti frame  with gray but with white aluminium.

I have only 2 pictures of front part of cockpit and for me, side panels looks quite dark. To be honest I would vote for interior green more than for aluminium laquer, but it can be just shadow because of light conditions.

0428_062_zpsiggtwywo.jpg

0428_060_zps28gnx4rj.jpg

I`m going to finish this one most probably as a 42-S-1, so pls what would be your recommendation? white and aluminium laquer for interior? if yes pls can you share with us some evidence for that or recommendation where this evidence can be find? It will help me a lot and other guys as well.

thanks a lot Brandon, really apreciate

ajan