WACO Glider in Dreaded 1/35 Scale Coming!!

Bill Cross

Guest Clunkmeister

I "get it" as far as the scale choice goes.  

Troop gliders fit with the armor guys who'll use them much more than the aircraft guys. 

But too bad for those who wanted to use it with HPH's upcoming DC-3.

No problem. :whistle:

All you have to do to convert the 1/35 model to 1/32 scale is apply many coats of a thick paint and apply it with a brush. Try an indoor wall paint. That's what the Israelis did in 1947. You can mix the color yourself. OD is a mix of yellow and black and some other colors, Use your own color tint preferences. 

You will have to experiment to determine the numbers of layers required to raise the scale.

:rofl:

An interesting aside. During the war these were  hurriedly made. At St. Louis the contractor who manufactured these simple gliders had a wee problem in the plant. 

At the presentation ceremony where the first completed glider was demonstrated there was a big to do held including a flyby of the first one produced at the plant. 

It was a festive occasion with bands, politicians, just lots of people. 

The presentation glider was loaded with politicians and people who had pull. Even the mayor of St. Louis was aboard. 

The glider was towed into the air and once up the wing broke off and it crashed, killing a bunch of politicians, including the mayor himself. 

Subsequent investigation revealed that there was a part that held the main wing strut to the fuselage. One of them failed and the wing broke off. 

When the tool worker who drilled out this casting was interviewed by the authorities if turned out that where was no stop on the drilling machine. He would drill into the casting to a depth he considered the correct depth, visually.  No measurements, it just looked good to him. No foreman taught him to set a depth stop.

Somebody always does not get the word. :shrug:  

:punk:

Wait...wait...is that a real story?  These things killed soldiers all of the time....  And they sent bigwigs up in one???

BTW... I find it ironic that a light body aircraft is being made in the heaviest modelling medium.

Gaz

Yes, it was a real occurrence. St. Louis lost a lot of big politicians that day. 

There was great pressure during the war to manufacture weapons of war and large quantities of untrained workers were quickly hired to meet the deadlines. "Deadines" was the appropriate word back then.

My dear father, who was a wonderful person, was the most unmechanical person I ever met. During the war he worked as an inspector in the factory where they made engines for B-29's.

We are only human. We do the best we can under great pressure.

Yes, it was a real occurrence. St. Louis lost a lot of big politicians that day. 

There was great pressure during the war to manufacture weapons of war and large quantities of untrained workers were quickly hired to meet the deadlines. "Deadines" was the appropriate word back then.

My dear father, who was a wonderful person, was the most unmechanical person I ever met. During the war he worked as an inspector in the factory where they made engines for B-29's.

We are only human. We do the best we can under great pressure.

I too was wondering if the story was true and not another one of your amusing metaphors.  Thanks for clearing that up.  A very interesting story indeed, one that I hadn't heard before.  Thank you for that.  I always enjoy reading your tong in cheek comments.

out of interest, what would the difference be between 1/35 and 1/32 in actual measurement terms - assume it's a few millimetres ??  I've never really thought about that before.

The way I tend to think about it ... is to take a 20m wingspan ...

1m = 1,000mm ... so 20m = 20,000mm.

20000/35 = 571.43mm 

20000/32 = 625.00mm

Therefore the difference between a model in 1/32 over a 1/35 - representing a 20m wingspan - would be about 53.5mm larger.

Rog :)

Not insignificant, then. Very significant indeed, I'd say! Stupidest decision ever in the entire history of scale modelling EVER, I'd say! But I am a fully paid up grumpy old git, so that might have a bearing on my opinion....

Edited by wunwinglow