I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

After getting over the initial shock of realising how much my modelling skills had  slipped some-what over the years... I then rolled my sleeves up and gave it a good crack!

This is the results....

Front Landing gear - Soldered brass/copper.  A lot of hours here and a few burnt fingers too!

ZM1zd04.jpg?1

bpxdEyM.jpg?1

Yep - I got serious here!

I did this in metal for the reason of the Canberra being a big model and supposedly will be a  little heavy when completed.

My thoughts were at the time, that copying these Landing gear parts in resin- to support a big model as this, will not be strong enough for my needs.

Especially the front landing gear, being as 'rickety' looking as it is...

So, what I am looking at doing now is copying these landing gear parts in metal!!!  (Yep guys! .. Ballsy call!)

Edited by Piprm

Nice landing gear.  I would recommend bolstering that stress point.  But that's just me.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yeah mate.. you have come to the same conclusion as I did - focusing  on the 'stress-points' of the landing gear - as I have!  Copying them in resin or a soft-medium with a big model as this will see it 'sag' or break over time!

That's why I have decided to copy these items in metal.

I agree with you on this point! ....we are on same page!

Yep - that's me too!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Love your work! how do these parts relate to a B-57? i thought about doing a vietnam G model. i know the canopy is totally different, the sensors and all too.

Hi Blackbetty!

Thanks mate for the compliments!

Erh, not sure about the B-57 landing gear (whether it was same as Canberra or not)... Martin Company may have changed the undercarriage - but don't know.

I know they did change a lot of things between the two aircraft - but i think it was mostly flight systems and engine and wings - to my understanding!

If you find the landing gears are the same and want a set for your project- let me know!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Phil.....please don't consider yourself a "beginner", ...actually in everything at this point, DON'T DO THAT!!! i'm really impressed  by your approach to the gearlegs, they are awesome.

And as a side step: you were wondering if resin/styrene legs wouldn't be strong enough? Good point, but i found that the latter could hold the "beast", simply by the fact that the actual  legs aren't that long, and beside that they are pretty thick and massive and duplicated into plastic would do the job.

That being said, i wish i had your skills turning the legs into metal/copper copies, they look really great.

Jack.

Edited by Jack

I'd be pretty happy if my skills ever "slipped" to that level ... man, what did you used to be able to do?!??!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I assume you mean - what special tools did I use?

I used only two tools really Jim - they are called left and right hands!

i guess these days, with a choice of such high-tech tools to use quickly and easily and the master  parts could be spat out of a machine without much fuss!...

But that's not an open-option for me (maybe a last-resort) ...and I really don't have the luxury of a fully kitted-out workshop..  as my townhouse has limited  work-areas... So , for me - it's all basics!    ...But my approach is what comes to me naturally (and cheaply : materials - wise)  It challenges me and I enjoy it !

Oh well - That's my excuse!

Cheers

phil 

Edited by Piprm

Phil.....please don't consider yourself a "beginner", ...actually in everything at this point, DON'T DO THAT!!! i'm really impressed  by your approach to the gearlegs, they are awesome.

And as a side step: you were wondering if resin/styrene legs wouldn't be strong enough? Good point, but i found that the latter could hold the "beast", simply by the fact that the actual  legs aren't that long, and beside that they are pretty thick and massive and duplicated into plastic would do the job.

That being said, i wish i had your skills turning the legs into metal/copper copies, they look really great.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your compliments on the landing gear. It means a lot to me!

With the Beginner - thing....I think you misunderstand the current situation here - that is,  I am a 'beginner' as far as posting new build threads here - Eric had to guide me through the process of posting photos on threads ...because I had no idea how to do this. (up till now)

On the other hand, If it is perceived that I presented myself  as a new modeller to the hobby - then No, I never intended to portray myself as this type of 'beginner' at all... just someone who thought he had a modelling skill once (many years ago) and thought he could pick it up - where he left it off (25 years later!)... I guess , like any artist, if you stop practicing your talents... you gradually slip less and less ...

( like guitar playing - for example)... 

I guess I became frustrated and a little surprised to find  my 'So-called' talents had decayed or slipped down after 25 years of non-practise!

So, after starting this Canberra project - I think I'm on my way to getting my Mojo back - so to speak!... but I'm still working them fingers!

Cheers

Phil

P.S : your points are taken about casting in the resin landing gear direction.. but my concern (and it still is ) that the front landing gear part isn't very strong in my view- they aren't that 'beefy' and would be stressed more then the main legs. (especially around the lower shock absorber and lower swing arm area - which to me is the weakest 'stress-point' in the component).

I still am leaning toward the metal casting option!

Edited by Piprm

Looking forward to see you turn more of your magic on this one, Phil :popcorn:

Great start already.

Hubert

Hi Hubert!

Thanks mate  and I welcome your visit!

I'm still chipping away at this Canberra... i feel a bit more confident about things - by the day now.....( not so much at the start! )

I appreciate all the enthusiasm and encouragment by the guys - shown to me here! .. it has given me a little more gas in the tank to keep going!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm