Revell F-14

LSP_Mike

I liked the comparison thread featuring the new Trumpy MiG-29, and the Revell MiG-29. I got to thinking that as constructive as that was, why not get the same info stream flowing for the relevant F-14 models on the market. I have a Revell F-14, and I've heard the 'pit is the better between it and the Tamiya F-14. I have no idea where the Trumpy kit fits into the lineup, but I'm interested to learn, say from the 'pit going aft.

The F-14 is one of my favorite aircraft, so as I said, I'm keen to learn something.

I've done all 3 of the f-14 models. In my opinion all 3 have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Tamiya cockpit had little to no detail and is completed with decals for the side consoles. However the general shape I thought was very good, but needed to be rescribed as about half of the aircraft was raised detail and half recessed.

I've heard the Trumpeter called a F-14 eagle, or a F-15 Tomcat, due to the squared off air intakes. There are resin replacements for the intakes from Zacto models which are a near piece of art. And as for the Revell Tomcat, I built that many years ago, as a child when it didn't matter how something fitted, you just squizzed more of the tube glue into it and away you went.

But as for the cockpit, I don't think you can go past the Aires resin replacement, amazing detail and flawless casting.

Currently I'd still say the Tamiya maybe the way to go, but it will take a lot of work to bring it up to the standard of some of their latest models. But considering it's a Tomcat, I think it's worth it.

I have a fondness for the Revell F-14, which to my eye catches the proper 'jowly' look of the forward fuselage.

But the nose cone is shockingly off, with the tip placed too high, and a lack of bulk on the underside, and in addition - a common Revell failing as per their Phantoms - the transparencies appear too squished.

The Tamiya forward fuselage all looks a bit too sleek to me, though I've acquired the canopy and the radome to see if they can be grafted onto the Revell kit.

Having seen the glaring Trumpeter errors when they released their F-14, I took no further interest in it.

Ideally, if Tamiya scaled up their 1/48 kit, I'd settle on that.

I've built two and have bought all three firms' offerings.

The Revell really needs more detailed LG legs and the Tamiya rescribing and an updated cockpit, but only the Trumpeter (which needs new Zactomodels inlets or DIY surgery, regardless of mark) offers a GE-powered B and D all three Chinese Tomcats fully deployed flaps.

The Trumpeter has the best stores options but the poorest Phoenix launch pallets. There are also the tricky wing boots made from rubber, which somebody recently raised as an oily mess which need replacing with - anything.

TBH, if I really wanted another Tomcat I'd buy a Tamiya 1/48 A or coming-sometime AMK 1/48 D.

For the heft of 1/32, and for an A, I'd be happy with the Tamiya + Aires pit + scriber. The Trumpeter is a "gert big projekt" which I have in the stash but I wouldn't rule out the circa 1982 Revell. I built one thirty-five years ago and it was a hoot.

Tony

So, wanting to get a little(subjective, I know) more accuracy, the Revell kit, w/Zacto intakes is a good start, esp. since I have a Revell kit. Is there a resin nose that captures the correct look? I can clean up and plumb/wire the U/C bays, and it may be possible to get Tamiya canopies, if they can be fitted.

I like the discussion, very helpful.

For it's age, the Revell Tomcat is not a bad kit. When I got back into the hobby, I pulled one - partially assembled (with tube glue) out of the box. I popped all the pieces apart, and started it as new. Bad nose or not, it sure looks like a Tomcat. I only wish I had finished it in Hi-vis markings.

So, wanting to get a little(subjective, I know) more accuracy, the Revell kit, w/Zacto intakes is a good start, esp. since I have a Revell kit. Is there a resin nose that captures the correct look? I can clean up and plumb/wire the U/C bays, and it may be possible to get Tamiya canopies, if they can be fitted.

I like the discussion, very helpful.

The Zactomodels inlets are designed to replace the (bad) Trumpeter ones. The Revell inlets are shaped quite well.

You can try and get Tamiya canopy parts, and for the blobby Revell gear legs replace them with G-Factor bronze F-14A legs (designed for the Tamiya, if you can find some), as they're exquisite.

It is, of course, possible to try and use the Aires cockpit, wheel well and exhaust resin designed for the Tamiya or Trumpeter, but I cannot vouch for ease of fit on the Revell.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

Mmmmm. (Said thoughtfully)

The Revell intakes are well shaped, and if the Tomcat had razor sharp intake lips they'd be great. But in reality they're not, being more rounded.

While the Zacto intakes provide an ideal solution (if fitting them to an alien kit should prove only a a minor chore) being a cheapskate means that I've added whittling down a wooden form to vac a thicker inner liner to my 'to do' list.

I've also invested in the Aires cockpit, wheel bays and 'B' model nozzles, which my calipers tell me should be in the reasonable fit ballpark, though you can never be completely sure until everything is ready to glue. I was also able to get a set of G-Factor legs and Wheeliant wheels, from Australia with the wonder of internet shopping.

I'm not expecting the finished article to be overly weighty, but the basic OOB structure is quite flimsy, with even the nicely engraved wing halves requiring internal reinforcement. The centre body and tail end need both strip reinforcing plates on almost every glue  joint and I've also added internal 'pillars' of milliput and car body filler squished to size using waxed paper anti-adhesion shields for strengthening, which just need a generous blob of epoxy when joining time comes.

Currently working on trying to make that nice upper wing detail more '3-D' looking, though I doubt many would bother overly much with that.

The Revell kit is great value for money, just look at all the finished models that you can find on the WWW. Some are build OOB and they still look good.

Yes the Revell kit needs some TLC to get it up to today's standards, but it's not that difficult.

As for the nose being off ? Looks good to me :

7bbe3aec8a5d26131445cd62007c50b4.jpg

380547.jpg

There are certain things on models that are spoilers for some, and yet go unnoticed by others.

While not having quite the droop-snootiness of a Phantom, there is an element of that which should be present on the nose of an F-14.

Without wishing to join the red line police, the Tomcat's radome apex (with or without pitot) is actually slightly below a line continued forward from the

bottom frame line of the nose formation light strips. That geometry is lacking in the Revell radome, and the knock on effect is that the underside curve of the radome not only has to sweep up more to meet the too-high apex, but also begins doing so far too early on the Revell piece, leading to a lack of the required bulk at the bottom. Pascal's photos illustrate my point (no pun etc.) well.

If that's not something you've noticed, or you remain otherwise unaffected by the error (which is what it is) then that's great. For you.

But to others, it removes a big chunk of Tomcattiness which needs to be there for a representative, good looking model.

From a simple look point of view Tamiya wins.

From detail Trumpeter.

Weapons Trumpeter.

If you can be bothered rescribing the Tamiya kit(i cant), putting in a resin cockpit(i cant), are happy with a clean wing then go Tamiya.

To me the "easiest option for a great looking F-14 with excellent detail, ease of build the Trump kit wins hands down. Even the so called intake issue which i have Zacto replacements would not bother anyone who finds the Revell nose acceptable as it is considerably worse and far more prominent. The intake issue can only be seen from directly in front at eye level with the kit so would never bother many people it is so subtle.

Pay your money take your choice..

Yes, agree Chek. Given that Zeros and Tomcats (allegedly) are about the most popular aircraft in Japan it would be nice to see Tamiya scale up their 2016 1/48 offering.

It's in the original light gull gray over white schemes that the machine displays true elegance, so the 1970s era A model will forever be my own favourite.

Tony