You guys voted, here is my "Help me pick" Ki-84 Hayate (Frank) bui

1to1scale

• 2 weeks later...

I neglected to take pictures after I put it all together and primered it. Today I was able to get an hour and a half and shoot the base coat, I'll let it dry for a day and then I spray on a coat of chipping medium, then I will start masking and spraying the paint layers.

Edit: I lied, I found a few pics during assembly.

In this pic, test fit of the wing, it just shows the little corner that needed sanding down to get a perfect wing root.

nwWZbii.jpg

This side needed nothing

oBw3yb8.jpg

I lost the little instrument cowl, so I had to scratch build one from sheet styrene, I lost some detail, but I didn't want to stop the build.

k8nnd5n.jpg

I am just lightly sanding the fuselage seam.

84ethDa.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

I sprayed a coat of Vallejo Metal Air Aluminum in a splotchy irregular pattern, then a spayed various panels in Duraluminum.

This will all be hidden under IJA Green and IJA Gray, until chipping uncovers it.

HY2OR14.jpg

l8tzNRV.jpg

Y6IEi68.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Made a little more progress today, sprayed down the chipping medium and let it dry. I then did a bunch of masking, finally I sprayed a light mottled coat of IJA gray on the bottom. I plan to paint the wells the same color as the interior. IJA dark green will go topside, followed by white for the markings, following up with a custom orange yellow mix, red, and finally NATO Black for the anti glare panels.

17WmRnI.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Oh man, I have two of these, both with Eduard PE and Aires interior etc. I love this aeroplane and am looking forward to the day I can do them justice.

As such I found this thread with glee. I have a few questions, if you don't mind?

I gather you use PE tools for straight bends and curves? If not, I'd love to hear what else you do.

How do you get such pristine results in bending and affixing the PE?

How do you secure PE parts when gluing them or simply working in general? (For example, I accidentally bend them at times)

What do you use for the coat upon which you are to chip? (I've seen hair spray mentioned, but know nothing of it)

When you spread the wing roots, was there any fit issue with the cockpit?

Is that the kit IP, and you painted it? 

Something else?

How do you approach painting the IP so well? Are you using any special brush, a tooth pick etc?

Great work. I am absolutely thrilled. Well done!

No problem, glad to help.

I gather you use PE tools for straight bends and curves?

I have a PE bending jig, but I only used it for a few pieces, the Eduard PE was so well engineered, you could bend it by hand. I used a small set of PE bending pliers and tweezers. I also cut a piece of sprue for the curves in the seat. the dimpled slots were done wit a ball point pen (Eduard has instructions for this). The little parts were all hand bent by tweezers. Did I mention I hate bending PE? I do, its so stressful, but the effect for small scale parts are beautiful. If it wasnt for the IP and the seat, I would not have used the PE at all. The seat is worth the price of the set, but if Yahu made a IP for it, I would have bought a resin seat.

How do you get such pristine results in bending and affixing the PE?

I bent by hand and used medium thick CA glue

How do you secure PE parts when gluing them or simply working in general? (For example, I accidentally bend them at times), I pre-fit the parts, but didnt glue them in until the very last step before priming. Then I used CA glue with a glue looper tool for applying a precision amount of glue.

What do you use for the coat upon which you are to chip? (I've seen hair spray mentioned, but know nothing of it). 

I used Vallejo's chipping fluid mixed 50/50% with their Acrylic thinner, then it sprays very smooth and shiny like a gloss coat. From what I understand, once it gets another coat of acrylic on top, it mixes with the new paint, then you can chip the top coat, but the bottom is undisturbed.

When you spread the wing roots, was there any fit issue with the cockpit?

None, but I only spread it maybe 0.5-1mm with plastic card, so it was not a large spread. I actually planned on putting a little filler down the gap, but it was so tight, i completely forgot about it, and it ended up not needing it at all.

Is that the kit IP, and you painted it? No, i shaved the kit dials off with a knife and used the Eduard IP. if I did it again, I would have painted the top panel with the bezels, as I am not happy with Eduard's color choices.

Edited by 1to1scale