2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

So... that question answered, I cut some sheet for the doors... but found the bottom of the wing curves concave both front to back and side to side...

4Kp9dVT.jpg

Front and rear edges were sanded down but strips of scrap sheet had to be glued in on the sides and sanded to fit...

xrI5RZR.jpg

and finally the door glued in place..

AcXpPln.jpg

With the bay issue settled it was time to start joining the wing surfaces...but before I did I checked out the molded belly plate... and quickly decided it was being thrown in the parts box... it looks nothing like what the season 1-3 one is...

2XMTv9s.jpg

Also... the inboard groove had to be added... roughly drawn on..

sdjv3kC.jpg

A strip of sheet added in the inside of the wing as the groove is deep..

A4nxh5u.jpg

And finally the detail worked with files and sanding sticks..

PRWbyKw.jpg

The seam on the inboard side is rather large and the alignment pins and towers allow quit a bit of flex... so I had to firm that up..

jQR8llC.jpg

these pin points were cut off as they will not be used...

EjsZR5N.jpg

and glued onto these pin towers (the two smaller ones) to extend them slightly..

kdpjdIB.jpg

and the flex is gone, the parts line up better...

FbTGSie.jpg

Just a bit of overlap in one area.. not an issue.

FZcGkMc.jpg

The two holes for the belly pan had to be filled and the raised detail removed..

AwPkSWh.jpg

As well the two large tubes had to be removed (you can see the ones for the other side at the bottom of the pic)..

cUTog8W.jpg

and finally the wing starts going together... a large 'step' at the front that will need to be filed and sanded to match the curve of the wing..

s4ljSso.jpg

I've had people in the past comment on my showing how I do things being helpful to them so I thought I'd throw this in for those who perhaps have never tried heat shaping plastic.

This was primarily for the doublers on the three ribs on the kit, but the technique can be used for a variety of things. It's an 'old school' trick and takes a bit of practice but one can do amazing shapes with heated styrene.

First up are whats needed.. in this case a small flat (thin) file chucked into my mechanical arm, a candle, a lighter (or matches) and a bit of .020 styrene..

4wR6hf6.jpg

Light the candle and hold the edges of the plastic (only using one hand here so I can hold the camera)... move it back and forth in a line from bottom to top edge.. you will see the plastic change and soften.. this is where practice (and failure) will teach you how close to come to the flame, how long to wait, ect...

X2tk6vd.jpg

Drape it over the file and gently help it find it's shape ...

Sa3tOFi.jpg

Mark off what you want..

wjb9PzY.jpg

and use a saw or sharp knife to cut out the part.

CFu1Jdn.jpg

Making your own parts is more knowing how than difficult.

8eLz951.jpg

And that's how you do it.. too much heat and it droops, pulls, thins too much.. practice on scrap till you find what works for you.

Edited by spacewolf

Onward !! The first wing took forever because I was figuring out how to do it, making patterns and parts...The second side seemed to fly together.. The extended panel grooves were the biggest tension for me.. getting those subltle lines the same as the other wing had me sweating bullets..

En4cxIW.jpg

Getting back to the upper wing bulges.. you can see the difference between the kit and modified part..

WRvFliU.jpg

Gb11rs9.jpg

As before, thin strips of .040 help conform better than trying to cover with a bigger sheet and allow you to get good glue adhesion..

EfFOfQw.jpg