Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Looking really nice so far. I really want to do an A-4F or VA-55 bird but do not have the decals for either. Anyone have a set of Two Bobs Tinker Toys decals for the no 55 bird they want to part with?

I really looking forward to watching your build and I like the work you have done so far.It will be nice to see a Kiwi bird.It really is a nice kit from Trumpy.

It will look really nice when it's completed.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

Thanks Cunumdrum61, I appreciate the feedback.

Well I worked on the engine vent on top of the fuse over the weekend. I started modifying a Hasegawa one from a previous project. It looked easier to finish than to start again. I widened it, opened the base of it up and boxed it in to more accurately represent how it looks. Then I added rivet detail around the edge.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

Then I sprayed it with Mr Surfacer, came out better than I thought it would!

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Dont know how much I will get done this week as we have had friends move in for the week and I need to clear the spare room!

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for looking

Hi Anthony,

Firstly, I really like your attention to detail and your very neat work. I've always wanted to build a 1/32 A-4K and finish it in the Euro 1 scheme but (to my knowledge) no one has made suitable decals in this scale. If you intend to paint your model in the Euro 1 scheme, what decals will you use?

Cheers,

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

OK time for another update.

I built the ARC-182 VHF/UHF antenna that sits on the fairing just behind the canopy. Essentially I cut a side profile shape from measurements I took at Woodbourne some time ago. Then I made an oval base plate and glued it onto the bottom, giving an upside down 'T' section. This was then filled and blended to an accurate aerofoil cross section to match photo's. I have just sprayed it with Mr Surfacer 1200 to identify any little areas of further attention.

IMG_1410.jpg

Next up was the engine vent on the spine. As previouusly mentioned, I made a new vent and riveted it. The trick now was to get a nice fit in the spine when it came to final assembly later on. The best way was was to make a box out of plastic card and make rounded internal corners with superglue to match the shape of the new panel. Once I was happy with the fit of the 2 pieces I then grafted the 'box' into the spine, by first enlarging the opening. I set the angle and this was when I noticed that the top of the kit spine has a very slight curve (across ways). I checked all of my photo's, drawings etc and have come to the conclusion that it should be flat. Which really is no big deal as it equates to barely 0.5mm off the top....easy.

In fact, barely noticeable from the side...

IMG_1411.jpg

The part was spliced in and filled with superglue and filed to the correct profile. Now when I come to final fuse assy this part is a perfect drop fit.

IMG_1409.jpg

Next up were the ILS/VOR antennas either side of the fin tip and also the strengthening plates at the base of the top fin extension.

I had rescued from an old Revell 32nd Tornado the fin tip antenna's as they looked a good start point for my Skyhawk ones one day (about 10 years later!!) I cut them down to the correct measurements and they look spot on. I then had to make up the associated mounting plates/brackets. Each side consists of about 6 pieces.

IMG_1403.jpg

I then made up the little plates at the base of the fin tip and sanded to an appropiate thickness and primed.

It was at this point that I figured the fin was a bit thick for my liking after test fitting the rudder. I had to be careful as I didnt want the fin antennas loose their correct angles etc. So I thinned out the fin going all the way back to the rear tailpipe fairing. The leading edge of the fin was pretty good so it only needed a touch removed.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

And there we have it.......

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Anthony

Excellent work Anthony.

The details you adding and dressing up are turning your build into a "Scale Model"!

Awesome modeling skills.

Barry