Tamiya Dragon Wagon build

Nick32

Thanks mate. Yes i agree, maintaining these things would have been pretty full on i reckon. Especially as you say those drive chains. I'm a motorcycle tech by trade, so i've seen how quickly a chain can stretch and wear on something like a Hayabusa - The chains on the Dragon must have taken pretty much constant maintenance, especially given the conditions. 

From the little i've found written about these on the net it seems it was the front axle that gave the most trouble, it just couldn't cope with the weight of the armoured cab, hence why they introduced the lighter cab. Also, the armoured cab wasn't needed as much as they thought it would be, i guess they weren't hauling tanks and equipment in the line of fire as much as they had anticipated?

Thanks Phil :)

Yep, i reckon you need one, it's a great kit. I wish i was a better builder to be honest so i could do it justice,there are some fantastic builds of this kit on the net. But i sure am having fun with it, although it is a very very involved build. I should have another update fairly soon, been working on it tonight and it's slowly coming together. 

Nick

• 1 month later...

Hi chaps, i've been quietly beavering away at it, i don't get a whole lot of spare time but nonetheless i have made a bit of progress. The bulk of the tractor unit is now built, the winch (which is a complete kit in itself!) is now done, as is the a frame and tyre changing crane (not pictured, i forgot to add it lol). All thats left now are the lights, tools and a few other small fixtures and fittings. 

39238830930_e3d1547657_z.jpg

27176121848_ee991afe91_z.jpg

39238840340_b31c7af9d7_z.jpg

26176777677_8467b048eb_z.jpg

39238842330_cdf567d83e_z.jpg

41005774102_2ef537ae80_z.jpg

26176777177_f540256e1f_z.jpg

Still really enjoying the build, it's a hell of a lot of work and easily my most demanding one yet - The Tamiya 1/32 Zero is nothing compared to this.. haha.

The fit of everything is perfect, typical Tamiya. 

I'm now starting to think ahead to how i'm going to display it, it will be big as the finished wagon is 20" long and i intend to have a few other bits and pieces too. 

Thanks for looking, 

Nick