Air War Over Korea Group Build Discussion.

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

I've been so busy lately that I completely forgot to announce this one! Our next Group Build, following on from the Vietnam one, will be a similarly-themed GB entitled The Air War Over Korea. And it kicks off tomorrow. Again, apologies for the late notice!

Kev

Err, the Koreas are formally (and from time to time really) at war until today. So is this GB limited to 50-53 or open for Mig-29 and F-15s too?

Regards

- dutik

Well, I think we'll have to limit it to that period during the 1950s that we commonly refer to as representing "The Korean War". If someone more knowledgeable than I would like to proffer some workable start and end dates for the conflict in that context, we'll frame it around those.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

John Smith and I are planning on doing a Buddy Build for the Korean War GB with Meteor F.8 conversion kits from Paul Fisher. We should be ready to go in a week or so. Just wondering if there has ever been a BB/GB before?

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

Both Paul and I have Fisher F9F-5s that have been burning holes in the stash. We've been talking of a BB here, but I've still to completely decide on which Navy bird to build. Of course for me, it'll always be Navy. If it was flown by more than one Branch! Navy will win, always.

I've been staring at this box for months now, hoping and waiting for this GB, it's been tempting me awhile. I will snap a crappy pic of the kit, and will be able to set a firm timeline of tomorrow when I begin.

I will probably only ever build one of these, so I want it to be memorable.

My historic mind says Sen. John Glenn's mount, but my heart is crying out for the most iconic F9F-5 in the world; the Golden Dragons bird flown by Lt. Harry Brubaker in the "Bridges at Toko-Ri".

It is instantly recognizable by millions of people worldwide.

Then, if, and only if time remains, I will do a Glossy Sea Blue AD Skyraider, maybe the "Kitchen Sink Bomber" to go with the Toilet Bomber.

Edited by Clunkmeister

John Smith and I are planning on doing a Buddy Build for the Korean War GB with Meteor F.8 conversion kits from Paul Fisher. We should be ready to go in a week or so. Just wondering if there has ever been a BB/GB before?

Peter

Peter, You have the pair of F-100's from the Pair of Dice Squadron 90FS that Ernie and I almost got completed in the Air War Over Vietnam group build, so yes its been done, though not the theme of it if thats what you were asking, no I don't believe LSP has ever had a purely buddy build group build. 

Ernie and I will be building Fisher F9F-5's in this one.

Paul

I generally like enemy aircraft, but there isn't much on offer here in kit form apart from the MiG 15 and Yak 18. If there was a 1/32 Ki-54 or Ki-36 or Yak 9P I'd do one of those but I spose I could do the alleged Ki-43 seen as an airfield decoy. There were quite a few left in Korea after the Japanese surrender so it's at least plausible the reports are accurate.

Guest Clunkmeister

That F9F-5 was acquired by me for the specific purpose of this GB, although it has been on my list of gottahave's for a long time.

Why is it I now wish that the RCN flew their Sea Furies in Korea, instead of leaving them deployed at sea? :shrug:

Peter, break open a Panther and join us. Dust off a -2 and do the "Blue Tail Fly"  It could be a 3 way.  Oops, that didn't sound right. :rofl:

Oops, Belay that!  I read your previous about working with John Smith.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Peterpools

Hi Ernie

Thank you for the offer but John and I are going all out on the F.8 Meteor conversion for the GB. Looking forward to some great modeling as the GB gets going

Peter