1/32 Me 262 A-1a/U4 Kanonenvogel Conversion

alaninaustria

1/32 Me 262 A1-a/U4

Kit: Trumpeter 1/32 Me 262 (02236).

Resin conversion: Shatton Models Umbausatz Me. 262 A1a/U4 mit BK 5.

Details: Scratch made/converted from Trumpeter kit + old Revell Me 262 Kannonenvogel kit (kit number ??).

Paints used:

Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya Aqueous colors; thinned with isopropanol alcohol (ISP).

Clear coat: Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III cut at 50/50 using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

Miscl. paints:

-Gunze Aqueous RLM 76 (H417) & RLM 81 (H421).

-Alclad II (various metal shades).

-Primed in Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black primer (rattle can).

Washes:

-Tamiya Black & Brown washes.

Resin details:

-Mastercasters resin Me-262 tyres (1/32).

Other details:

-Seatbelts - RB Productions German Luftwaffe seatbelts (1/32).

Masks:

-TBD.

References:

A. Bently drawings and the Classic Publications: Me-262 by J. Richard Smith & Eddie J. Creek. Vol. 02. 

Hey everybody! I've been fooling around for years with the idea of finally building one of these birds!

I am using a 1/32 scale Trumpeter Me-262 A1/a donor kits with a few parts from the Robert Schatton resin conversion and the venerable Revell U4 conversion kit.

There is a lot of fiction built into this... I am still trying to source the A. Bently U4 drawings but, without success! I am trying to scratch build the parts I need - I want to use this build as a skills exercise!

This is what I have so far:

IMG_5148_zpsgtbkl5xc.jpg

IMG_5146_zpsxezp1lmb.jpg

IMG_5147_zps2cckf2aj.jpg

IMG_5149_zpsfri18yyo.jpg

Edited by alaninaustria

Thanks guys - much appreciated! Standby for some more! I have some days off and really want to plow ahead on this! Does anybody have any details on how the two rear gear door (on the nose gear) actuating mechanisms functioned?? Am in need of some intel on this - otherwise I'll just be winging it!

I did discover that the port side vent (round hole) was a gas vent for the cannon. Interesting actually!

Cheers

Alan

Very nice work, Alan! What a great subject to do in 1/32 scale.

On the door actuation I woul have you look at pics of the old Trimaster kit as I think they got the details on this. Or the Hobby Boss kit.

Look here and see if it helps:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10121732/70/1

My opinion is that the retraction arm for each small door was located inside the fuselage and connected to the edge of the door where it meets the fuselage. Once the nose wheel and struts are secured if you look it over there simply is no room for any suze of external retraction strut within the bay itself. Again, that's my 2 cents...

Nice work my friend!

Later,

Lee

Edited by Nanook

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Quick update - I've sourced the correct A. Bently drawings and work continues! So far I have got the fuselage all closed up and the resin nose attached along with the beginnings of the inner wheel wells and wings. I had some serious warping in the kit outer wing panels and had to add some spars... and a few rivets in the nose wheel well!

IMG_5276_zpsjitaqy4o.jpg

IMG_5277_zpsdzjydweb.jpg

IMG_5278_zpskpjgwi3i.jpg

IMG_5279_zpshaitftre.jpg

Cheers

Alan

Ps. Thanks Lee! Yes, I believe the old Trimaster kits were quite accurate with regards the the various exotic variants of the Me-262! Good tip - thanks!

Edited by alaninaustria

I have the Tri-Master kit. It's mostly built and on the shelf of doom. I may resurrect it one day. 

I'd be happy to photograph and/or measure up anything you need reference of. IIRC, the gears were metal and the front gear bay pretty decent.

Greetings from the bench! A short update... lots of little jobs to do... next up the rescribing on the engine nacelles and the cockpit! I was able to get the twist out of the main wings and straighten them out! She's starting to come along nicely! I added the Riedel starter exhausts and pull-start PE parts! I also chucked the exhaust "onions" in the lathe and trimmed off about 1mm from the rear so they won't sit to far out. The white stipes will be sanded down - I'm adding them as I've seen some photos with a slightly raised reinforcment strip along the panel seam.

For your viewing pleasure!

IMG_5317_zpsed13axx2.jpg

IMG_5319_zpssnpfotmj.jpg

IMG_5318_zpsatzh23h6.jpg

Cheers

Alan

Ps: Thanks for the offer Sluggo - I think I got it all covered! Thanks again!

Edited by alaninaustria