Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Thanks again, lads. Today I found a bit of time to work on correcting the wonky reinforcing strip on each wing root. Here's a reminder of what we started with:

XsNx1Z.jpg

The first thing to do is back-fill the gap between the central part of the strip and the fuselage. For this I used Perfect Plastic Putty, smoothed over with a moistened cotton bud:

tI9x22.jpg

The white putty has crushed the contrast somewhat, so hopefully you can still see what's going on. Once the putty had cured, I cut a thin strip of Dymo self-adhesive labelling tape, and used it to cover up the inboard portion of the strip that I wanted to retain. This gave me a decent edge to run a #11 blade along so I could score a line in the plastic. From there, I used the 3mm micro-chisel from Trumpeter to chisel and scrape off the excess plastic.

Here's the result after some tidying up with files and sanding sponges, along with a thin coat of Mr. Cement to help smooth everything out:

xsUpHC.jpg

A squirt of Mr. Surfacer lets me check my work:

D0MEiO.jpg

There's a little bit more work to do, but the job's nearly done. While I was brandishing the Mr. Surfacer-laden airbrush about, I gave the tops of the inner wings a good squirt too, just to see how all that diabolical Apoxie Sculpt action turned out. I'm pleased to say that, apart from a couple of now-missing panel lines, you can't even tell! The intake inserts still need a bit of work, but are also looking pretty good.

At this rate, I might even get this thing finished!

Kev

Nicely done Kevin! Looks like you know what you're doing my friend.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf. I think it's fair to say that the final model, should there be one, won't stand up to all that much close scrutiny, but as long as no one says nice Spitfire, I'll be happy.

Kev

Sweet 190 Kev. , keep it up. :) No, JK,  I couldn't help it mate. LSP members, should put together a fund in order to collect cash for Tamiya Corsair, so you can recover once this monster is done. :)

Cheers

M.

Thanks, Wolf. I think it's fair to say that the final model, should there be one, won't stand up to all that much close scrutiny, but as long as no one says nice Spitfire, I'll be happy.

Kev

I think you might be selling yourself a little short Kevin. Based on what you've done so far I suspect you'll have a beautiful model and undeniably a Corsair when done.

I think you may also have coined another catch phrase Kevin. Kind o' like "fatal flaw" but now you've given us "nice Spitfire" which will mean a less than stellar build of any kit we see. I love it!

Cheers,

Wolf

I think this one should take pride of place in your display cabinet Kev after all the thought, hard work and determination that has gone into getting it into shape.There's a few in my display cabinet that are my favourites just because of the work that went into them.

Cheers

Dennis

Guest Peterpools

Kev

After you finish the Birdcage, Tamiya's offering will be a walk in the park and surely won't test your resolve anywhere as the Trump conversion has.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks again, chaps. The reality is, I'd probably find the Tamiya kit a little boring - much like I did when I built the Revell and Tamiya Zeros at around the same time a few years back. I loved all the detail and correction work I had to do on the Revell Zero, and enjoyed it much more than the Tamiya kit, which is indeed excellent, but produced nowhere near the same level of satisfaction as a project.

Kev

So, I've just discovered that in my excitement to get the wing assembly mated to the fuselage, I completely forgot to reinstall the control column into the cockpit.

:doh:

It's impossible to install post facto in one piece, so I'll either have to cut it up (after which it still won't be easy to install), or leave it out. Either way, I feel highly deflated by my own ineptitude.

:BANGHEAD2:

Kev

Well, I'm pleased to report that I managed to shoehorn the control column in after cutting away the rear bar. Gluing it in place was nerve-wracking, and the result isn't particularly secure, so I just have to hope I don't bump it now. If it comes away again, I think I'll cry!

Kev