1/48 Tamiya Corsair F4U-1a

Maurice

I am aware it still isnt finished, but blackbasing (and with it marbling) would yield different results than what you have. The thing is to go with a lightened dark blue with spots of subtly different colors (I go with yellow) and then blend it with a regular dark blue to get that marbled,faded look.

You do what you do, I really have no issues with it, but it's not blackbasing :)

Try it on a paint mule,one in black and one in grey and you will see what Im saying

I really like the whole black basing approach. I used it for the first time around 3 years ago on an automotive engine and it worked fabulous. I like the mottled approach that you are taking here and am looking forward to what the paint will look like when you're done. Killer work Maurice.

Yep, tread heads have been using the black as a base coat, for many, many years now, and it is a very interesting option. I like what I see so far, Maurice, keep up the great work.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, though its quite different to what I would like to achieve, a worn, sun blasted, dusty, dirty corsair, which was a common picture in the theatre of the pacific. 

More advancement, I faded the dark blue to what I think is what I would like to see, next is the faded fabric on outer wing. 

I expect also in next cycle to start staining the exhausts on the belly, and the fuel leaking in front of the windshield. 

Cheers :piliot:

35795464561_4aa96b6951_z.jpg

35118167603_9ee080ebca_z.jpg

35795470531_3dab277b50_z.jpg

35118415013_132525ac42_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Thank you Quang for the kind words, these aircraft were heavily weathered considering the conditions in a tropical environment, from dusty to muddy, heavy sun, and the way these noble machines were serviced by great mechanics. Oil, grease, fuel stains, mixed with dust it's an endless source of colors mixing trying to replicate such effects.

Cheers  :piliot:

I've got this kit in my stash!

Thanks for demonstrating a technique I only became aware of by a model figures teacher a while ago, but have not yet practiced it yet.

WWII Marine Corsairs are in my list of top subjects.

:innocent:

Tom

Thank you Quang for the kind words, these aircraft were heavily weathered considering the conditions in a tropical environment, from dusty to muddy, heavy sun, and the way these noble machines were serviced by great mechanics. Oil, grease, fuel stains, mixed with dust it's an endless source of colors mixing trying to replicate such effects.

Oh yea, the ones in the Pacific, in particular, got really skanky.

I've got this kit in my stash!

Thanks for demonstrating a technique I only became aware of by a model figures teacher a while ago, but have not yet practiced it yet.

WWII Marine Corsairs are in my list of top subjects.

:innocent:

Tom

Glad this approach is of your interest. 

Just to mention that not only the Marines Corsairs where land based in the Pacific, giving to this magnificent machine that wear and tear appearance. The Navy also had land based Corsairs in the Solomon Islands, the VF17 Jolly Rogers which is one of the markings I will do this time, is one of the most famous and lethal Navy Squadrons of the WWII. Ira Kepford was one unique ace of such squadron. The Corsair in the beginings was considered not suitable for carriers operations, only the Royal Navy developed procedures that made the Corsair suitable for carrier landings when the US Navy reconsidered it. 

35581375460_1407589925_z.jpg

35130442164_40da93bc8b_z.jpg

35581375740_4d7c6e2809_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Not forgetting the highly-abrasive coral sand thrown off by the huge propeller!

Way to go, Maurice