ZM 1/48 F4J Phantom: 7/19/17: WONDERS NEVER CEASE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thank Gary

I should have guess but what can you do. I kind of like the idea of the red FOD covers and Remove Before Flight Streamers that will be used.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl

I finally have the FOD covers fitting and looking pretty good.

As far as the F4S ... not a chance :fight:

Peter

Guest Peterpools

JA

Nope, have a bunch and since the F4 isn't a vignette, using them here and there is just fine.

Bro

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE; 7/19/17: WONDERS NEVER CEASE

I never thought I would be actually lightly weathering a model from the outset but one of the goals of this project was to try my hand at black basing and see how I could achieve modest results, breaking up the the single tone of the grays and the whites.

No better place to start then the drop tanks and I found the entire procedure very easy to do and didn't take that much time at all. The three drop tanks went through the normal procedure of pre-primer prep work: cleaning up any seams and restoring any panel lines that were removed along the way. Instead of priming with MIG Gray Primer, I just switched gears and primed with MIG Black primer – no surprises .. smooth and consistent.

I didn't want the mottle effect to be too 'in your face' so instead of doing the squiggles with white, I went with MRP medium gray. After the black basing dried, I thought I needed a bit more in the way of squiggles and this time instead of using MRP paint paint, I switched to MIG Gray Primer and the two colors are almost identical; I didn't see any real differences in shooting MRP or MIG .. the results seemed to be the same.

All the paint work was accomplished using an H&S Infinity Plus with a .2 tip and while the work went very fast, I was surprised how easy it was.

The next step was applying the color coats using MRP Navy White. Shot straight from the bottle with no thinning, numerous layers went on, allowing the paint to set up and dry a bit in between every two coats.

I'm still up in the air with how this is working, as the black basing effect is very light but is there. The white has shifted a bit to a grayish hue and I'm not sure if this is the effect I am after. Over the next few nights, I'll experiment a bit more with all the gear doors and see how I can play with the white and still obtain a light mottling effect.

Next Up: The gear doors.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

avNXZa.jpg

2cbMcA.jpg

6qzvhr.jpg

TrfUZ1.jpg

EX9YCk.jpg

OwJT08.jpg

I really like this marbling effect that you're doing. I've been black basing now for the last 3-1/2 years as I stumbled onto it in auto engine building and haven't looked back since. I am going to have to try this marbling though. Very good results so far there Pete.

Thank Gary

I should have guess but what can you do. I kind of like the idea of the red FOD covers and Remove Before Flight Streamers that will be used.

Peter

Problem with fod covers is if we put the intake covers on we also put the exhaust covers too. Intake covers are only half the job. Edited by ScoobyDoo

Problem with fod covers is if we put the intake covers on we also put the exhaust covers too. Intake covers are only have the job.

Gotta completely disagree with you on this. I've seen hundreds of model builds with FOD covers, and rarely have I seen any model with exhaust covers.  There is a fine line between what we do as modelers to what actually is the correct procedures for real military aircraft. 

Joel

Has anyone ever modelled these:

9401143831_00498ce1e3.jpg

I was TAD to VMFP-3 in 1984.  These FOD screens were used to allow people to work near the aircraft while the engines were being run up.  It too me a little bit of searching to find this one photo of them.  I was hoping for a side view, too.  They were held onto the aircraft by the same kind of pins that hold on safety-type pennants if I remember correctly.

Personally, I think it would be a PE nightmare.  It's another option for the hardcore scratch builder.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Gotta completely disagree with you on this. I've seen hundreds of model builds with FOD covers, and rarely have I seen any model with exhaust covers.  There is a fine line between what we do as modelers to what actually is the correct procedures for real military aircraft. 

Joel

Which is exactly what I said, but looking back I didn't write that well. I was talking about the real thing. When I bagged a jet I put intake and exhaust covers on.

Modelers generally only put intake covers on.