Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe, Steps 47-51. Engine, firewall and frame.

Harv, Shaka, Dennis, Shoggz, Peter and Don, thanks guys. Your continuing support is much appreciated

For step 13 we tackle the rhs cockpit wall and the MkII gyro gunsight.

Tamiya would have the builder assemble the whole cockpit tub before installing this sub-assembly inside the fuselage. Using this process requires a little lateral thinking however as there are a couple of pipes that run from the gear retraction lever over the forward IP bulkhead.

I chose to attach them to the bulkhead and bend them into place so that they sit properly after the assebly is together.

tn_Mk.%20XVI%20Spit.%20cockpit%20005_zps

We also get to build the gunsight which consists of seven parts! For something less than a centimetre square that's alot of parts. I think other kit manufacturers would have made it in two parts, maybe three.

tn_Mk.%20XVI%20Spit.%20cockpit%20008_zps

I decided to add some pipes and wires but much of the extra detailling is hidden by the seat as Don warned it would be. I think I'd better a get a torch as Shaka suggested.

tn_Mk.%20XVI%20Spit.%20cockpit%20012_zps

The fuel tanks that fit behind the seat are beautifully crisp bits of plastic which are entirely hidden once the seat armour and headrest armour are in place.

tn_Mk.%20XVI%20Spit.%20cockpit%20009_zps

So with this done, now it gets exciting. Step 15 is assembling the fuselage.

I shall need to take care as I've seen a couple of you guys have had a teeny amount of filler here and there. Filling is one area where I suck most. That and decals. Oh, and paint...and clear parts.......and getting things lined up.....and

Cheers for now.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi guys,

Thanks Don. The gunsight is a mini model in itself. Although the colour callout is for black I chose the colour based on a reference photo. I've little doubt that the detail on a resin version would be crisper but this looks ok I think.

Hi Max,

So why do we build models?

Ha ha, good question and one I ask myself regularly. If I ever come up with a viable answer you'll be the first to know ;)

Hey Shaka, thanks man. That means alot as I've seen just how good your stuff is.

Hi Kev, I appreciate your support and motivation, cheers.

Hi Carl, I hear you. That is one of the pleasures of building these magnificent Tamiya kits in my humble opinion.

Talking of closing the fuselage, step 15 has us doing just that.

tn_Fuselage%20and%20wings%20001_zpsxgzfk

As Carl mentioned this went together beautifully. I've yet to clean the seams but it all looks ok at this point.

Steps 16-19 have us constructing the rudder and horizontal tail surfaces. These trap a metal bar and etched hinges between the two plastic halves to allow movement.

One thing that I've found curious is the instruction to remove the link rod from the rudder actuator. I'm guessing this is to allow free movement of the rudder but it is n't prototypical unfortunately.

tn_Fuselage%20and%20wings%20002_zpsajtgb

I'm not a huge fan of working parts but the way Tamiya engineer it the fit is exemplary.

Step 20 sees the horizontal tails and rudder fitted along with the tail wheel assembly.

tn_Fuselage%20and%20wings%20005_zpsipwuv

That slid neatly into the mounting point that was trapped between fuselage halves in step 15. In the above photo you can see where the rudder control rod is missing.

Step 21 is opening holes in the wings for the wheel bay blisters (option C) or bomb racks (option B. ) plus nipping off a small portion of the wheel well opening.

Stes 22-24 allow us to assemble and add the wheel bays to the lower wing and the brace that helps set the dihedral. Another neat touch by Tamiya.

tn_Fuselage%20and%20wings%20009_zpsihsot

I've used silver for the interior of the wheel bays as that is the underside colour of the airframe I intend to model.

I spattered some oily shades into the wheel bay toward the leg mounting point to suggest a certain amount of use but kept the main portion reasonably clean. Just a little dust in the corners.

tn_Fuselage%20and%20wings%20007_zpst0hga

From what I can make out there is n't much going on in the Spitfire's wheel bays. I may add a hose or two later if the need arises.

The next raft of steps involves assembling the main wings so I'll be back next time with news of how that went including how those pesky cannon mounts fit.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Great progress Guy.

For the rudder link rod, I actually left mine on and instead drilled a small hole in the fairing on the fuselage where it should connect to. This way it can fit in and not have a disconnected look. Since you've already removed yours, maybe replace it with a small metal rod?

Carl