Past completed phantom builds

Rob Colvin

"Build mass quantities!!"

Brian

thanks guys...it was a thirteen year project. I hauled it from michigan to georgia to alaska and back to georgia where i finally finished it as part of a "worst kit" contest in our local club. anyone who had the kit was supposed to build/finish it. this is what my early resin cockpit parts looked like.

earlyF-4resin.jpg

Bruce

Guest Nigelr32

Hi all, here's my completed build of the Revell F-4F.

finished9.jpg

finished8.jpg

finished7.jpg

finished6.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

finished.jpg

In summary, this kit is a bit of a handful..

The Nose is totally the wrong shape, so needs replacing or a rework. I used the nose section of the kit supplied, plus the not required belly tank, to reshape the nose and reproduce the proper droop you see here.

The cockpit is totally wrong. The IP's are far too big, and the floor is way too deep, so I used an F-4E Tamiya 'pit and Eduard etch.

The intakes are the wrong shape, and are radiussed in too deeply, so need to be split and bent out, with the slits filled with plastic card and sanded to shape. They are also too tall at the front edge, and need to be curved down on the top face. I noticed too late.

There is also no intake trunking. This needs to be made with plastic card.

Upon completeion, I have noticed the splitters are too long, and leave no room for the ladder!!

The Sparrows are too long and dont fit in the recesses in the belly.

The wing tips require reworking if you want to represent the correct angle.

The Decals are quite difficult to work with and do not respond well to microscale setting and dissolving agents, even over a coat of future. You'll notice some silvering on the model, even after pricking with a pin and re-applying micro-sol.

I would seriously recommend anyone who wants to build a 1/32 F-4 go for a Tamiya kit.

Thanks for looking in, I'd like to say I enjoyed this build, but I won't!!!

Edited by Nigelr32

Since i'm not, at the moment taking part in this GB, but I have spent a large chunk of time building 32nd F-4s I thought I'd add pics of some of my completed builds, some mayhave been seems before,some not..

Ok here goes , a Tamiya OOB build , CE decals , making a Niagra ANG F-4D

f4d-1.jpg

Close up of the Rhino head

f4d-2.jpg

F-4B , CE Conversion , CE intakes etc - I've posted this before here

f-4b-1.jpg

Tamiya based F-4G , , lots of after market - again been on display here before

f-4g-002.jpg

I've also got , competed , an early Tamiya E, Tamiya EF-4C & D, F-4J, and an almost complete F-4S...

And if I break my vow , and stary another one , it may well be an F-4J(UK).. who knows!

yup we were born in the same year 1958 , me in Febuary, and the Phantom in May , so its sort of genetic!

(BTW the Phantom went to sea for the firstime on board the USS Enterprise , VF-32 I think,

Enterprise's keel plates were lain down on Feb 4th 1958 , the day I was born... and yup I have the Tamiya enterprise somewhere in the attic )

yup we were born in the same year 1958 , me in Febuary, and the Phantom in May , so its sort of genetic!

(BTW the Phantom went to sea for the firstime on board the USS Enterprise , VF-32 I think,

Enterprise's keel plates were lain down on Feb 4th 1958 , the day I was born... and yup I have the Tamiya enterprise somewhere in the attic )

...Phated!...:)

Derek

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add a couple of pics of my first F-4 build now that I've joined the GB....!!

My all time favorite aircraft in my favorite markings.

I did post this one before in the Ready For Inspection forum.

f4_1.jpg

f4_8.jpg

f4_5.jpg

f4_7.jpg

f4_12.jpg

Edited by joe

Great models all - Thanks for sharing your work guys, very inspirational.

I wonder if we could see Russ Camp's (Russkampf) completed F-4S here - He did a really good job on that kit.

Cheers

Derek

• 1 month later...

I wonder if we could see Russ Camp's (Russkampf) completed F-4S here - He did a really good job on that kit.

Ask and ye shall receive...........Twas a spectacular build. As a matter of fact, my future F-4S build will be based on a lot of Russ's work here. Spectacular result Russ.............

ruzlkampf's F4-S build thread

Some shots of Russ's bird -

post-4413-1232013959.jpg

post-4413-1232014021.jpg

post-4413-1232014071.jpg

post-4413-1232014121.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Guys,

Since we are all showing off our good old Phantom builds, and there are some beauties here I want to say, I would present here my attempt at the Revell 1/32nd scale F-4E kit. This was built over ten years ago. At that time Tamiya had not yet released their "E" version, so I went with the new tooling Revell kit. There are no major conversions here as the "Phantom philes" will surely notice, BUT....it looks like a Phantom, not doubt about it. The markings were the high point of this build as I was provided with photos that had never been published of this particular bird. #187 was the only Israeli sharkmouth, and never had any kills. It was a testbed for the leading edge slats that following blocks of F-4Es acquired by Israel all had, excepting the RFs. I am currently working on the Tamiya early F4E with all the bells and whistles and maybe it might even make it into the group build.

Best regards to all my fellow Phantom Phanatics !!

Ed Okun/ Frogman

DSC06887.jpg

DSC06889.jpg

DSC06890.jpg

DSC06891.jpg

DSC06895.jpg

DSC06896.jpg

Edited by frogman13