56 squadron Spitfire IX LF

Hello again chaps!  Off we go again on another Ranger, Rhubarb, Ramrod or whatever type of op you want.  I'm doing a Spitfire IX LF of 56 squadron (using Tamiya's sublime kit) during the brief time that they were equipped with them in May 1944.  A sheet from the squadron's ORBs shows the kind of thing they were up to and, bless him, the Adjutant included both the aircraft serial and squadron code, how jolly efficient! (If only they knew how important the ORBs were to be in future years to researchers, they may have all tried to be this good!).

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-05%20at%2010.06.

Nothing to show yet, though I have started on the engine and that is going to be my focal point for a while.  Some progress to show soon I hope.

And here's my subject:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-05%20at%2016.26.

18 June 1944, the squadron's first V1 (Diver) destroyed

Max

Edited by mozart

Ah ha, the Three Musketeers onboard then! I'm planning to add detail to the engine but so far I'm so impressed with the fit of all the parts, once or twice I've even considered not gluing, but in every instance it's just a light touch with some very thin cement and capillary action.

One thing that I've learned about LF Spits is that the LF designation applies to the type of engine, Merlin 66 tuned for low altitude work and not, as I'd previously assumed, clipped wings. So I think the standard C wing applies.

Max

Hi Max, good to see you back with another Spitfire. It's great to read the backstory on this build and I look forward to seeing how you progress.

I'm fairly sure that you'll love building the Tamiya offering. It would be excellent to see some engine shots when you get there as I'm fast approaching that section on the Mk XVI so I'll be able to crib ideas.....

Cheers.

Thanks Guy, I hesitate to put this picture in because this is what I aspire to achieve!  It's done by Julian Seddon, a very fine modeller who writes for Scale Modelling Now, an online "mag" to which I've made modest contributions.  I've downloaded the whole of Julian's Spitfire build and will be using it as my Bible:

24.ipr-ac-tam-spit.ix-engine-left-detail

Max

A few shots of the engine build, so far OOB.  As I'm sure many of you will know, it's an absolute delight to build, from the quality of the plastic to the precision of the fit of each tiny part....I reckon there are about 60 so far:

DSCN9730_zpsnzspined.jpg

DSCN9732_zpsmnddnjdf.jpg

DSCN9731_zpsufdgvysf.jpg

DSCN9733_zpsysueuvbt.jpg

DSCN9734_zpsrvqyijun.jpg

Starting to add fuel lines and various wires next.
Max
Edited by mozart

Thanks Guy, {~snip~} this is what I aspire to achieve! 

Max

Very inspirational Max, thanks for showing this engine assembly. I really like some of the details on that motor. So many different shades of black. I'm a big fan of his rocker covers. The chipping and patina look perfect on this monitor. Great job.

A few shots of the engine build, so far OOB.  As I'm sure many of you will know, it's an absolute delight to build, from the quality of the plastic to the precision of the fit of each tiny part....I reckon there are about 60 so far:

Starting to add fuel lines and various wires next.

Max

Lovely crisp images of the parts Max, thanks. If it's not too much trouble I wonder if you might do a step-by-step of the fuel lines and wires please? I've begun studying one or two pics of the real deal and there's alot going on which makes it difficult to dissect.

Cheers.

If it's not too much trouble I wonder if you might do a step-by-step of the fuel lines and wires please? I've begun studying one or two pics of the real deal and there's alot going on which makes it difficult to dissect.

Yes of course Guy, though don't take my meagre efforts as gospel, I'm still on a learning curve too. Julian's images help though some are not very clear.

Max

Thanks Guy, I hesitate to put this picture in because this is what I aspire to achieve!  It's done by Julian Seddon, a very fine modeller who writes for Scale Modelling Now, an online "mag" to which I've made modest contributions.  I've downloaded the whole of Julian's Spitfire build and will be using it as my Bible:

..Pict removed...

Max

Oh my...I could never try that, because It would bother me too much. I'll probably dream about spraying some degreaser to clean it up (just like my cars)!