• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,157 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

Wow, great to know Thierry. 

I have the Tamiya kit, and a bookoo butt load of AM for the kit, but did not know that. Not unlike a lot of kits (some like the PCM Hurricanes I can think of off the top of my head) that end up with huge fuselage to wing gaps if one doesn't glue the upper wings to the fuse before putting the lower wing halves on. But that one step can cure ills like that very well if you know about them before closing the wings and/or fuselage up. 

Thanks! 

I'm pretty partial to the Eagle myself (no doubt due to seeing them flying around here for years), and am hoping to snatch a Tamiya kit before this year is done.

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#17 dmthamade

dmthamade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

The problem of the fit of the Tamiya kit is essentially one single issue that results in a terrible problem to solve: the assembly instructions do not tell you to glue first the upper fuselage with the wings! If you do that you are solving most of that major problem. As Tamiya instructions are generally excellent, a lot of people had that unfortunate issue of very bad seam that asks for ages to be solved properly.

Yup!! This is how I've done all my Eagles, Revell and Tamiya. You still have to work on the joint with the Tamiya kit, but it will end up with a non putty joint. Revell is the same, but a lot less scraping needed.

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=47829

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=65263

Build threads covering both Tamiya and Revell. HTH

Don

• Tony T likes this

#18 dmthamade

dmthamade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Keep forgetting to ask, what markings/time frame are you planning on doing? Changes antennas, cockpits, etc.

Don

#19 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Yup!! This is how I've done all my Eagles, Revell and Tamiya. You still have to work on the joint with the Tamiya kit, but it will end up with a non putty joint. Revell is the same, but a lot less scraping needed.
http://forum.largesc...showtopic=47829
http://forum.largesc...showtopic=65263
Build threads covering both Tamiya and Revell. HTH
Don

Really amazing DJ build from the Revell Don. I would never have picked that scheme but, seen done, it really looks good!

On searching, Eaglekeeper seems only to have covered the Tamiya Eagles so maybe Thierry can give the Revell tweak treatment (?)

Tony
Finally spraying again

#20 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Well, very frankly, this kit is on a list of candidates for some years...! I just need a second life ;-)

I have yet to end the started ones (Tornado, X-15, F-105G, Spit Mk VI, etc.)!

• Kagemusha likes this

#21 blackbetty

blackbetty

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

i love the revell 15, i remember the fond reviews it got when it came out - so much better than then other revell 32nd scale offerings of the time.

built two and have one more C. its beyond me why revell doesnt reissue the C

39089020370_205ea02d93_k.jpg31 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

Edited by blackbetty, 19 March 2018 - 12:39 PM.

• thierry laurent, Luca, johncrow and 2 others like this

back after 20 years

DUE TO A HOSTING PROBLEM A LOT OF PICS OF MY BUILDTHREADS ARE GONE. ANYONE INTERESTED CAN REQUEST THESE VIA PM FROM ME

#22 Lee White

Lee White

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:51 AM

Every Revell C I've seen had the canopies molded with a ridiculously dark tint, so you might need to replace yours with a Tamiya one.

1/35 AH-56A Cheyenne-DONE!
1/32 Yak-38- Done!

1/32 F-111C for the ABIM Group Build!

#23 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:22 AM

Every Revell C I've seen had the canopies molded with a ridiculously dark tint, so you might need to replace yours with a Tamiya one.

It depends on the production batch. Mine are clear.

Thierry
  • Lee White likes this

#24 blackbetty

blackbetty

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:59 AM

the C above is also the batch without the tint

• Lee White likes this

back after 20 years

DUE TO A HOSTING PROBLEM A LOT OF PICS OF MY BUILDTHREADS ARE GONE. ANYONE INTERESTED CAN REQUEST THESE VIA PM FROM ME

#25 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

Indeed, I do not understand why they do not re-release that kit. They could even update it easily with some sprues from the Phantom (AMRAAM and better Sidewinders).

#26 mydesign

mydesign

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi

you may check out my modelling reports on 1/32 scale F-15's... including the Revell kit

look here:  https://designer.hom...5-32/f15-32.htm

(I still have a few in the stash including the large F-15C from Tamiya)

Enjoy Modelling!

Meindert

#27 eaglekeeper

eaglekeeper

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:42 AM

It's been awhile since seeing this kit and actually building it, maybe since the first release in the 80's when I was stationed at Langley. Let's see what I remember?
Starting nose to tail here goes, top to bottom, remember this from memory.
First kit to be released was the E model demonstrator or 71-0291, TF or B model. The C of course was released using most of the parts from this kit so guess what they are older B model fuselage parts with the addition of single seater cockpit, forward fuselage and canopy with some crude augmenters without turkey feathers.
So now we have a C model forward fuselage with aft early B model fuselage.
Cockpit was released with the CRT's in the cockpit with Bay5 needing replacement as it is far from detailed or even accurate. The seat IIRC on initial release had a ESCPAC seat so this will need to be replaced as the ACESII seat has been the standard since the mid 70's.
Panel lines are deep and wide and are the same overall the jet, but with a coat of paint can be toned down.
Secondary Heat Exchager exhaust behind the canopy or there and passable.
The Speedbrake on the real aircraft sits flat on top of the fuselage, not in a well as depicted on most models to include this one and faired in with side panels .
The engine humps are the correct shape but have the E model demostrator engine mount panels instead of the 2 ea C/D access panels and forward mount door.
Vertical stabs are missing the bullet torque box beef up plates but everything else looks ok.
The Auggies (Augmenters) are crude and should be replaced along with the engine exhaust ducing and flame holder with turbine wheel.
Tail stinger antenae's need to be added according to time frame your modelling your C model, the tail hook fairing will need to be removed depending on timeframe modelling your C model as well.
Next start at the nose on the belly.
First ICS Ant will have to made, 2 between the UHF blade antenae's and one large one directly behind the aft nose gear door.
On the lower left intake the Comm panel will have to repositioned forward and engraved half the size of the A/B Comm panel.
Also on the inside of the intake close centreline just forward of the top of the centreline pylon is the VTR access door.
,aim and nose gear is very nice but as stated earlier is fragile mad should be replaced with something stronger, I put a rod inside of mine but this does not help the oleo on the nose strut.
Servicing panels are in the correct positions.
Secondary power, CGB and JFS intakes and exhaust are in the correct position but the JFS exhaust should be hollowed out on an aircraft your modelling after Desert Storm.
Engine bay panels have the access doors for servicing incorrect positions and size, they made them,for the E model demo aircraft.
On panel 113 L/R instead of having the Sabre Drains (more on this later) the NACA intakes are their instead on earlier releases.of the kit but I think this was fixed on later kit mouldings. The sabre drains were removed off the rail aircraft after numerous gashes and scars ( got two myself) and they were found to,be redundant and did not,serve a purpose during the early 90's.
I am sure I will remember later but this,is,a quick rundown of the 1/32 Revell F-15C hope it helps

Edited by eaglekeeper, 04 April 2018 - 03:52 AM.

• David66 likes this

#28 DonH

DonH

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

What does it need?

Depends on what you want.

If it was me, it would need glue and paint. That's it.

Done and Dusty

Tamiya Spitfire IXc

http://forum.largesc...wtopic=42491=

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users