Simulated weight on tires

ericg

As to the compliment culture, yes, there's way too much of that happening on the forums and modelling pages. I see way too many poorly done kits, that are followed by a string of "great job" stuff, and it really seems to serve no purpose at all. 

Personally, I think discretion should play a large part in deciding how critical one should be. I've seen hopes and dreams crushed by negative comments.

One wonders why model companies release perfectly round tyres in the first place? It's 2017. 

Personally, I think discretion should play a large part in deciding how critical one should be. I've seen hopes and dreams crushed by negative comments.

One wonders why model companies release perfectly round tyres in the first place? It's 2017. 

I agree. When I see nothing that I feel I can genuinely compliment, I generally say nothing. If the OP asks for input, or I know the person fairly well, then I may offer up some observations or ideas.

For the tires also consider if it's on a carrier, their tire pressures are higher than those operating on runways.

I'm sure there are better examples but here's just a quick collection of pics that were handy to attempt to show the effects too of pretty full ordnance loads on the tires compared with no ordnance. There are all shore based A-6s:

tire.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

As to the compliment culture, yes, there's way too much of that happening on the forums and modelling pages. I see way too many poorly done kits, that are followed by a string of "great job" stuff, and it really seems to serve no purpose at all.

But must not offend anyone!

Sometimes I'd prefer to see unweathered models after seeing how some end up so blackened that it looks like they survived a fire.

I think Dale has a good point. There does have to be some discretion involved, as sometimes an "attaboy" as-it-were, might be just the thing a struggling modeler needs.

However, on the flip side of that coin as Dale said, some harshly placed words may just push a struggling modeler to quit the hobby entirely. Weve all seen that 1 defining particular moment that descends on a modeler and they just give up on modeling right then and there; (at least for a while) seen it happen a couple of times. 

However, I do agree that saying "great job" when clearly it isnt, or is just really poorly done, doesn't serve any purpose either. I also agree with moms/K2s philosophy of if you cant say anything nice............

Edited by Out2gtcha

I kind of have mixed feelings too. I have to agree strongly with the discretion approach, although I see the point of helping people improve. You wouldn't be a member if you weren't more serious about building and learning. But these websites shouldn't feel like a competition too, where certain standards have to be met to before someone feels "worthy" of posting his latest. Like others have said, sometimes a wrongly worded criticism or just a superiority complex (there are those out there who are self-proclaimed experts, who don't build anything themselves) can destroy someone's enthusiasm. There's enough of that at the contests. There are a lot of average modellers, like myself, who don't have the time and skill to reach those sorts of standards. I would hope this is a place where the members would feel safe sharing photos of their latest build. I think of it more of a community where we share a love of these aircraft, and building replicas of them.  We've all seen models built with slightly wonky landing gear, silvered decals, ragged paint edges and glue/paint on canopies. For some it's an accomplishment to just get one finished, and it could be the best they can achieve at the time. What's wrong with saying good job? If it encourages them to build more, and keeps the hobby alive, then that's a good thing. They can quietly learn from some of the better modellers here.

At the same time, if I put landing gear doors on backwards, or a prop with the wrong rotation, I hope someone would point that out. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, being helpful while being sensitive. All that being said, I find this website very kind and helpful with suggestions and corrections. It's the only site where I would show builds or in-progress threads. I've had suggestions and honest observations on my first build here and I've taken them the way they were meant, and changed some things. Made my model better...even if it's not going any faster. :)

One website has two galleries, one where you post your builds and constructive criticism is expected, and another where builds are just posted so that people can share. I don't see any evidence we need that here, but it's one approach. It's supposed to be a hobby, and to apply evaluations and criteria to something that's supposed to be fun seems to be counter-intuitive. You can build for contests if you want that, and some do. And that's fine.  I think the worst I saw was an "editorial" in an IPMS Canada "RT Magazine" issue a while back by one of the well-known modellers talking about this same issue. It was the most self-serving, pompous and pretentious piece of crap, basically saying if you can't build to my standards then don't show your stuff. Made me angry.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, and I'm not sure what I said. :-) Just some thoughts.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Surely, this is all ultimately down to observation, looking at the real thing and then using your skills to replicate what you see. So much can give the game away, and physical stuff like unweighted tyres will the most obvious problem, to anyone, not just an aviation enthusiast!!