FOKKER D-VII

ruzlkampf

Thanks for following along Håkan! These builds just wouldn't be the same without your constant support.....much appreciated buddy! ^_^ I don't know about 'talent' Kevin, I'm just too 'punkin-headed' and daft to know I shouldn't be trying half the stuff I do. Sure do have a lot of fun, but my results are usually less than optimal. :hmmm: Aaaaah, that's modeling though, I just try to do better next time.

But I digress; Speaking of less than optimal,....I've been having to whittle and shape every piece that's gone into this kit so far. Not blasting Battleaxe, as this is a limited-run kit and is part of the fun of working with these. They sure look the part in the end, with some careful fitting and sanding. Here's a pic of the fuse side with the cockpit in place, and my home-made motor support holding up the rear of the engine. Works OK. I ran out of pilots, so I'm going to be using heads/arms/legs from a plethora of different subjects to sculpt the last one I'll need. More on him later.

post-4413-1255945917.jpg

Couldn't resist (and it's very wise to do on these Battleaxe kits) the chance to mock everything up, and put this on it's wheels. Took a few tries, and flipping around to make sure I got those under-carriage legs going the correct way. I think.

post-4413-1255946097.jpg

Plastic is kinda weird on this particular kit. Carves like soap,....which is good,....but doesn't really like my normal glues. Turns it yellow too. Hmmmm. ^_^ Sooo, I'm using a bottle of Tenax glue for the first time, and it's doing the trick. More pics I took while looking at the progress so far. Guess I'd better figure out an 'ace' soon, so I can get a color-scheme going?

post-4413-1255946406.jpg

Looking good and love that rear engine support ! Too bad that motor will be mostly hidden, it looks sweet. So, going to have a Frankenpilot hmmm ? Can't wait to see this one. Keep up the amazing (and FAST ) work, It's inspiring... and a bit intimidating, to watch you crank these things out..but it's never dull ! ^_^

Some closer pics of the front. I'm going to be modifying the intake manifold a bit to make it look like the 185hp BMW motor, and adding a few other widgets to make it look busier. Last pics f the night, and just a small update on the progress. Gotta go surfing on the net to look for a nice D-VII ace paint-job tonight, so I'll leave things here. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1255946700.jpg

post-4413-1255946720.jpg

Whoakay, Finally got my Fokker D-VII Aces #'s 1-2 from Osprey so I wouldn't have to do all the mind-numbing research into a color scheme for an ace. Got it narrowed down to one Jasta at least Håkan! :) Because I already put some 4-color lozenge on the E-V, I really wanted to give the 5-color decals a go on this one. Whuh-oh,....first problemo. The early D-VII's with the olive-streaked fuse's had the 5-color stuff on their wings, and I've made my model up as a later Fokker-built version. They mostly had the 4-color stuff. BLAST! :huh:

I've found a work-around for that, with a little 'fudging'. More on that in a bit. Yep Kevin, the first thing I thought of when I started playing with this plastic was your Macchi. This kit doesn't fall together by any stretch of the imagination,...but it sure is fun to whittle on! I invested in these Osprey books, cuz I am definitely going for the Wingnuts D-VII when it comes out. But I digress;

Ben working on what-nots while waiting for my references to arrive. Got a pilot sculpted outta an old Hasegawa Me-109 pilot to look more like a WW! guy. Also played with the intake manifold on the kit engine to make it look more like a BMW 185hp motor. After some looking, I see I got my scratched radiator cap in the wrong place for this motor and it'll have to be moved further down. Here's some pics.

post-4413-1256382457.jpg

post-4413-1256382478.jpg

HI Ruz,

Be careful with the Jasta 15 skull and bones mate---it uses a different set of cowling side panels and totally different exhaust outlet position.

check refs.---and if you want anything that the DATAFILES can help with, let me know.

Dave.