HpH Supermarine Walrus MkI

Guest Dekenba

Guest Dekenba

I'm back on the Walrus now - funny how being ill means you stop work which means you have more time for modelling!

I've removed all the internal spars from their resin "puddles". This took a long time and involved a lot of sanding. I did try to shorten the process by using a dremel at slow speed, but immediately regretted it when I snapped a spar in two. So back to a rough sanding stick.

It can be tricky to judge how much to sand off, but some of the spars have holes moulded into them, so I just sanded until the holes became visible through the reverse.

Here it is with just the large spar added and the wall behind the pilot:

20140203_203036_Woodruff20Way_zpse7prizn

I'd recommend careful dry-fitting with the big spar - it's far too big to fit and close both half's of the fuselage up & needs a lot of sanding to allow the fuse to close over it.

I'm just tidying up the multiple spars after my marathon sanding session - I'll stick them in tomorrow and get some more pictures.

My original canopy had a crack, so HPH very kindly and quickly sent a replacement. I think I'll take advantage of having two to show the canopy open, with the top pulled back over the fuselage. There is so much detail inside that I'm trying to make it all as visible as possible.

Hopefully I can get the spars all glued in and get the interior zinc chromate layer down. The interior paint scheme is pretty simple, it's 95% zinc chromate green!