Bedford 6 Pdr AT Gun

TaffyMan

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to really look like a truck. Very nice, glad to see this one ...ah... moving forward. :popcorn:

Moving forward :lol: Just about need to get out of first gear .... then thats better than reverse!

Nice work Taff, looking really good! Can't wait to see how your tarp works out.

Kev

Cheers Kev - Just found a cool pic on tinterweb of just how I want it to look ..... Just need to try and do it!!!!

For rolled tarps and such, you could also roll up some Super Sculpey, add wrinkles to your liking, then nuke it with a hair dryer.

Never tried the sculpey Did nearly do it in Milliput but wanted to see how this paper worked out. Silly thing is I get a nice roll with the Tamiya Allied Accessory kit - I forgot about them :doh:

Glad you found your missing bits on the Mossie - She's looking very nice!

Jiminy Whizz!!!

:speak_cool:

Your workmanship is one to be admired....

Pretty impressive build so far.. :punk:

MARU 5137

Thanks mate lets hope I don't muck it up!!

Hi folks time for a little update

Saying little it took me most of Sunday. Yep I don’t think I qualify as a speedy modeller!

I have been working on the bits to finish the truck off. These are ready to be painted – so I thought I would make the gun up so they can all be painted together.

The gun barrel didn’t line up and took a lot of fiddle and faf plus a lot of rubbing down to get rid of the join ridge. The fit on all the gun parts isn’t great and there are a lot of pin marks – some in really awkward places, so out with filler and the files. It's a shame there is no Photo-etch for the gun it could do with some IMHO.

I also thought I would replace the telescope sight. This was carefully snipped and the brackets drilled to take some thin aluminium tube. The eye pieces was punched out bit of plastic and some tape.

041-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I also tried to drill and file out the holes on the elevation adjustment – hum!!!! not the best but better than the solid that it was? Also the hooks that come in the kit to hold the bottom armour plate up are massive. So I made some lighter ones out of a bit of fuse wire

042-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Here is all the gun bits cleaned up and ready to go to the paint shop. Having now looked at the pictures there is some bits I might revisit before I start slapping the paint around. In the background you can see some of the other bits ready to be painted.

043-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Thanks for looking in - Hope you enjoyed any comments always welcome

Happy Days Taff :D

Looks very, very good!

I love those armors and you are doing great ;)

Cheers Loic I am learning loads on this one!!! And Love what you are doing on the Do 335 - That is well just :wow:

Taff,

The armory is very impressive.

I can't imagine to begin how fiddly that may have been..

Great work... :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thanks Marus Yep I think I have invented a few new swear words on this one - but then being blessed with the fatest fingers with the dexterity of a Bull Yak isn't helping!!!!! But I am getting there.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi Folks – Time for an update

Think I have turned into a Kwik Fit Fitter (can’t get better than) who says advertising doesn’t work!!!! :whistle:

Masked up and painted all seven tyres. I had already given the hubs a spray of the sand paint so just the tyres needed doing! I sprayed these with a dark Grey and then applied a very thin matt Black. After they had dried I mixed up a lightish muck colour of the Grey, Sand and a drop of white. I used this to lighten the tread and around the hub area. More muck to be applied but I will be doing that by furry sticks and stuff.

044-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Whilst I had the airbrush out I sprayed the flat sand colour on the gun bits. Quit pleased at how the hooks came out – but I found some more pictures of the gun and they could have gone even smaller and lighter.

I will paint in the detail and weather all these bits before assembling as I think it will be difficult to get into some of the nooks and crannies otherwise.

045-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay Tomek you asked how I did the sandy bits on the inside of the front mudguards?

I am no expert at this - in fact this is only my third attempt at weathering any stuff so I am making it up as I go along. So there could be better more effective ways to do this I will keep looking and experimenting! But isn’t that the fun bit? :hmmm:

Right my weapons of choice plus my sacrificial victim on the altar

046-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

First up I ground up some sprue on varying grades of sand paper to give me different size granules of plastic. This can be a bit of a finger ache but haven’t thought of any other way of doing it! Did think about using talc but thought it might just turn to a past – but this might work for mud – must try and remember that if I ever have the need. Next with one of my old knackered brushes I paint on some matt varnish in the area where I want to apply the effect. I will then splodge some more on making it thicker into areas and recesses where I think the sand would build up.

047-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Next with an old brush with more hair left on it I pick up and mix together the different grades of plastic. Then like you used to do with glitter when you where little kids sprinkle it over the area. I then put more over the thick applied varnish. This needs to settle for a minute or two, then with some more of the ground plastic mix on the brush I start brushing and pushing the varnish plastic mix into the corners and build up areas and thinning it on the other areas.

Oh such an artistic pic with the brush :rolleyes:

048-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I leave this to dry and move on to other areas doing small areas at a time. Once this is dry I give it a good blow over and a very gentle brush with a large soft brush to remove any loose particles. Then you are left with this – looks like I might need to get may dandruff treated! :rofl:

049-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay will be back with a bit more in a minute. - Taff :D

Hi Back with part two

I then applied the chalks to the areas. This then had a light spray of matt varnish to fix it down. I didn't spray direct on to it as I learnt the hard way that this blows most of the chalk away :BANGHEAD2: So I kind of drift it on to the model - if that makes sense?

050-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

A closer look at the back axel.

051-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

This was then given a very light and thin layer of sand paint sprayed over to flatten and blend it in a bit more.

Now I have all the sand in place I have moved on to do more detailed work on the underneath. First I mixed up Burnt Umber, Sienna, and a little Lamp Black oil paint. This was thinned down with a little bit of linseed oil, this is used as a carrier in oil paint anyway but by adding more will make it more thin and transparent. The downside is it will take a lot longer to dry. I am using very little here so it wont make that much difference to the dry time!

So with this mix I started to add some oil marks and streaks to the bottom of the truck. For the oil streaks a thin brush with a smidge of Black oil paint I painted a thin line in the centre of my thinned oil stain, using the first wash to help thin and make it runny.

As I have said I am making it up as I go but I quit like the effect – what do you think?

052-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

053-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

054-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay thats all for know Hope you have enjoyed it? And Tomek I hope that helps explain and it wasn’t to wordy!

It will be a little while before I get back to this one, as I am of to get cultured in London this weekend at the David Hockney and Freud exhibition and if I can persuade the others a trip to the IWM or Hendon.

Thanks for looking in and comments or tips always welcome.

Thank you Taffy!

A lot of information to digest. The dandruff stage wasn't looking too promising, but after the chalk treatment I'm sold! Very nice effect Taff! I like it. The wheels color looks very convincing too :speak_cool:

Could you tell me what kind of matt varnish you're using?

Thank you Taffy!

A lot of information to digest. The dandruff stage wasn't looking too promising, but after the chalk treatment I'm sold! Very nice effect Taff! I like it. The wheels color looks very convincing too :speak_cool:

Could you tell me what kind of matt varnish you're using?

Hi Mate Yep the chalks help! Plus a little bit of paint!. - It is just old common Humbrol Matt Coat!

Taff :D

Nice work Taff

Something I think you may be able to use for dust/dirt/sand is dried tea. Not the good stuff that comes as leaves (either loose or in a teabag), rather the cheaper tea bags. The tea inside these is like dust and, when dried out looks very much like a reddish soil.

Just a thought.

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Hi Matt - :hmmm: tea rather be dunking a Choccie HobNob into it and scoffing it!!!! But no not a bad idea we get loads in the bottom of the old tea caddy. This stuff is very fine so will give it a go.

Thanks for looking in and the suggestion.

Edited by TaffyMan

Hi Folks – Well I got all cultured out in London this weekend and my wallet got emptied several times :o – Not cheap!

But got back early Monday so did manage to get some work done on this project.

Update :-

I finally got the gun together and weathered in. Had a bit of a disaster as trying to do a dry fit with the cup that holds everything together managed to snap the pin for elevating the barrel!!!!! Have tacked it together with a bit of supper glue but still a bit wonky. I think I will wait till the gun is on the flat back and will cut it free and then stick in place. But enough waffle :blah:

Picture time.

055-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I have tried to experiment with some water streaking? Looks a lot more blended in reality but could be a bit subtler so will try something else on the truck.

056-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Also added the manoeuvre ropes to the wheels. Not easy with banana's for fingers :rolleyes:

057-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Need to do a bit of a clean up and some dry brush but still waiting for the matt coat to dry – hence the shine on the tyres.

058-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

059-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

060-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Hope you like – any comments tips always welcome.

Till next time - Happy Modelling Taff :D