Revell MkIX to MK XII

Steve Eagle

I am the same one that started this post, and would like to clarify something. Jim,does this conversion work with the Revell kit or is it strictly aimed at Hasegawa and Tamiya? I have just pulled the Revell kit back out to work on it again.  As Elgar stated the Grey Matter is definitely not a good match up in height.  Hopefully we can get this figured out.  Maybe the nose and the lower cowling pan can be jockeyed around to work. :hmmm:  

I am the same one that started this post [...] 

Steve, would you like me to merge your two accounts? This way you get to keep your post count and history, and we get one less redundant member account.

Kev

That would be great Kevin. Just email me with the details.

No need. I'll just merge your old account with your new one. Just keeping logging in with your new account; there's no need for you to do anything differently.

Kev

HI guys I have reworked my griffin conversions after reading the feedback and hope that they are more accurate and would like any more feedback . Jim

Jim was kind enough to send me his new Mk XII nose (Mk XII Mk II :) ) and this morning I compared it to the first one, the Grey Matter nose, the Revell Mk II kit, and the Tamiya IX kit. Took some photos, here are the results:

p7vwQ4L.jpg

Overall view. The nose is much longer than the first one (=good) and the line at the bottom for the lower panel is straight (=good). The fasteners are quite pronounced but could easily be sanded down if desired. 

8cI6wd2.jpg

Old nose left, new nose right. Also notice that the overhang of the bulges has disappeared. Great improvement!

kfBoGOg.jpg

New nose left, old nose right. The new nose is much taller, which should make it considerably easier to fit to the Revell kits. The new nose doesn't have the step at the back vertical panel that the old one has. I don't know if the Spitfire XII had the step in the rear panel like the Merlin engined variants had.

Compared to the Grey Matter nose:

cdXABpb.jpg

Grey matter is flatter on top - Jim's nose is rounder. The other noticeable difference is the bulge in the middle - Jim's is longer which I think is more accurate. The little intake on the back of the cowl is taller on Jim's version, and is hollow as opposed to Grey Matter.

I only have the Revell Mk II kit to compare it to, and without cutting off the nose it's a bit tricky to see how well it would bit, but I think it should work just fine:

wNcVsnC.jpg

To satisfy my own curiosity I also tried to fit it to the Tamiya IX kit - it actually doesn't look bad and could be made to work relatively easily:

umCLmnD.jpg

Comparison to Tamiya nose panels:

jv3ihGq.jpg

Final picture:

Uu9wwlA.jpg

All in all I would say that at this point in time Jim's conversion is the best way to get a Spitfire XII in 32nd scale.

Edited by Elger

True, but if you wanted a nice Vb you could attach the Hobbyboss wings to a Tamiya fuselage. Nose is a bit tricky but the Hobbyboss nose parts could probably be made to fit...

surely now you use a Revell IIa and the Czech Model Vb conversion parts (just a few bits)?

and voila you have an early Vb

if you want a late one, buy a Revell IXc and kit bash (with some nose hacking)

given the two kits can be had for £40 total at the moment, it's not as crazy as it sounds, and still much cheaper than involving the gorgeous tamiya kits...

Hi Elgar thank you for review the revised cowl I hope that you like the changes that I made , I know that the Dzuz ? fasteners are a more pronounced than they really should be but adding these so small without losing them was almost impossible so like you have advised whilst building my own models I have rubbed them down so that they are just above the surface level ( much easier on the resin copy than on the master .best regards,  Jim . ps I will post my builds , both Seafire MKXV and MKXVII , I am bilding them together side by side so will take a little longer . pps having never built a navy seafire I would like some advice on the best  colour of paints to use and makers of the paints . ppps I prefer to use acryilics .