New from WnW

SWApilot

My point was that there is nothing wrong with the Roden kit. It's decent and accurate. I've built one several years back and have a couple more, one Dr.1 and one Encore F.1 Voss boxing. It needs guns and prop help, but other than giving the tail plane a couple swipes With a sanding stick where it joins the fuselage, is a really decent kit.

I agree, I have also built the Roden kit and found it decent and moderately accurate*. My point was WNW producing decals for the Roden kit could well be a sign they are not doing one of their own

Richard

*It's easy to fill that strange lowered flat on the tailplane, I don't know why they did it

I agree, I have also built the Roden kit and found it decent and moderately accurate*. My point was WNW producing decals for the Roden kit could well be a sign they are not doing one of their own

Richard

*It's easy to fill that strange lowered flat on the tailplane, I don't know why they did it

I agree - for £25 in the UK, they are an absolute bargain. The Encore version is also good, and PART of Poland do  very, very comprehensive PE set. I have never, ever, heard of a manufacturer selling decals for another manufacturers kit, in the same box as one of their kits? WNW never cease to surprise me.

I remember Roden selling 1/32 kits for £50-£60 when they first debuted, and being happy to pay that. WNW have absolutely destroyed their business plan, unfortunately.

I remember Roden selling 1/32 kits for £50-£60 when they first debuted, and being happy to pay that. WNW have absolutely destroyed their business plan, unfortunately.

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. Pretty hard to blame WNW for that IMHO? I do think they will eventually do it - they did the Camel after all, but it may be a long time coming....

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. 

I'm one of those modelers who refuses to "dirty my hands" by building the Roden Dr.1.   For me it comes down to this - I'm sure the Roden kit is decent but no one compares to what WNW puts out.   It's more than just the plastic, it's the PE, the awesome instructions, every single placard being provided on the decal sheet, the great choice of color schemes, etc, etc.  I also have to believe that even regarding the plastic itself, WNW would offer a better detailed product.    

Now if I just had to have a Dr.1 in my collection, I would obviously simply go and build the Roden kit.   However, I'm not in that category.   I'd gladly build the Dr.1 if WNW offered it, based on the reasons above.  Since they aren't, I've got plenty of other projects in the queue and will patiently wait for that day when WNW does the Dr.1.  If that day never arrives, I could care less.   

I'm one of those modelers who refuses to "dirty my hands" by building the Roden Dr.1.   For me it comes down to this - I'm sure the Roden kit is decent but no one compares to what WNW puts out.   It's more than just the plastic, it's the PE, the awesome instructions, every single placard being provided on the decal sheet, the great choice of color schemes, etc, etc.  I also have to believe that even regarding the plastic itself, WNW would offer a better detailed product.    

Now if I just had to have a Dr.1 in my collection, I would obviously simply go and build the Roden kit.   However, I'm not in that category.   I'd gladly build the Dr.1 if WNW offered it, based on the reasons above.  Since they aren't, I've got plenty of other projects in the queue and will patiently wait for that day when WNW does the Dr.1.  If that day never arrives, I could care less.   

The PE in WNW's kits is miniscule at best, and I don't know many modellers like us who build schemes out of the box?

I really don't understand this refusal to build non-WNW kits. Sure, WNW are the very best available, but the Roden kits are better than "buildable", they are bloody good kits, at around 1/3 of WNW's prices, and more widely and easily available. I also gain more satisfaction from building a Roden kit than a WNW kit.

That proposed announcement was only if they didn't have everything ready for the NZ show, which evidently they have.

As has been said, the fact they've made decals for the Roden Dr.I pretty much puts an end to any thoughts WNW's will be producing one.

He said at the show yesterday that there will be another announcement coming

Matt

Is it really all WNW to blame here? For example, with the DrI, so many modelers refuse to dirty their hands buying and building the Roden kit and just endlessly call for WNW to do it even when the Roden kit is just fine. Pretty hard to blame WNW for that IMHO? I do think they will eventually do it - they did the Camel after all, but it may be a long time coming....

As has been stated innumerable times, here and elsewhere, yes, the Roden/Encore Dr.I kit is OK, but when it comes to the Dr.I, many don't want just OK, they want fabulous, which the Roden kit is not, but a WNW kit most certainly would be. To not want to compete with an existing product, is, in my opinion, a concept that makes no sense whatsoever.

Case in point; the Revell Mustang vs the Tamiya Mustang. While many will clamor for the excellent Tamiya kit, many more have also proved that they are perfectly willing to snatch the new Revell kit in rather large numbers, despite the existence of the Tamiya kit. Why? The price, Revell being reasonably cheap, whereas the Tamiya kit is not. The consequence? The two kits in no way are in direct completion with each other, as they generally appeal to two distinctly different market groups.

I fully expect, as I have anticipated all along, that WNW will eventually do a Dr.I. When that may be, I have no earthly idea, but I fervently believe they will eventually release one.

It's nice to buy that perfect, no-fault kit where you don't need to add any detail or change anything.  But there is AM for a lot of things, like stitching or tape.  Guns and fabric decals.  And while the WnW Mercedes is nicer than the Roden Mercedes, there are AM Mercedes that are even-nicer.

Maybe it's a little unrealistic to expect WnW to release everything we want when there is so much that has never been released that WnW may some day be able to do if they don't focus on our cries of "I want, I want".

Gaz

Wingnut are not competing with RODEN. They are in different price brackets and hugely different in quality ss a product on the shelf

People rightly or wrongly would prefer to build another kit than a Roden one.

It was WNW who brought WW1 to the fore with superb engineering, beautiful instructions, no requirement for reference books.

They are almost the perfect out of box build.

WNW not doing a DR1 really adds little to Roden sales as the guys who will buy them already have and those thst havnt have chosen not to for a reason right or wrong.

Why buy a kit requiring reference books, a resin cowl seat etc when you could just build any other WNW kit...or a Tamiya F-14 or Corsair?

The most Iconic aircraft of WW1 not being done by the most iconic manfacturer of WW1 kits to protect a kit that requires resin, extra detailing, its engineering is far below WNW standards does nothing for the hobby or WW1 mdelling era at all.

Will i add to my Roden DR1 pair..no..

Importantly the profits from the mass DR1 sales would help fund more of those bizarre and unusual WW1 aircraft that catch everyones eye somethng Roden have never contributed to.

No WNW DR1 is a step back for WW1 modelling and WNW which also means for those who love WW1 us as well...

Edited by Darren Howie