Last build for 2016, a bit late !

dennismcc

Dennis

Terrific start on the Revell Spit and I'm right with you when it comes to Barracuda sets - just love 'em

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter, and yes if you are building a Spitfire the Barracuda stuff is pretty essential, I should imagine that goes for other subjects as well, one of my big plus points is the instructions and colour guide that come with the sets.

Cheers

Dennis

Ah, that makes sense. Not sure why the asterisks but thanks for the pic. They do look a bit hidden down there so may not be visible anyway. Are you planning to tackle the airframe bulge issues that Iain and Derek did?

Thank you Joel, the list from the late and great Spitfire expert Edgar certainly makes life easier rather than trying to track down all the little bits and pieces myself. As it's been a long time since I delved into the world of mating resin and plastic parts together in a kit the oil cooler and radiator looked a bit daunting at first but they worked out great. The sea tbelts and harness come with some great instructions but I must admit that without my magnifier/light I would have struggled. I did buy a YAHU IP for my Fiat G50 (future build) and have just used 2 on my Spitfire Vb and Vb Trop and they are great.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

I went to their site, and they have a really large and growing list of various aircraft IPs.  Since one of the 3 major areas of a cockpit I now need to concentrate on with my move to 1/32 scale, is the IP (the seat, and shoulder harness/lap belts being the other two), the Yahu IPs seem like the best bang for the buck, and certainly look incredible. I also noticed that they have PE Bezels, and a few other items I need to take a look at.

Joel

And on with the cockpit, the cockpit tub sidewalls were fitted and all looked good.

hFg37x.jpg

But when I offered it up to the fuselage halves and taped them together, the fit was not so good, the aft bulkhead did not fit into the fuselage at all, it was dangling in space and the fuselage halves would not fully close. In the end I had to make the tub narrower by shortening the sides and making them flush with the bulkhead holding the seat and then sand the sides at the front. The aft bulkhead would not fit at all so I cut the floor behind the front bulkhead and fitted it separately.

The tail wheel leg was painted with Medium Sea Grey and glued in place, and then the fuselage halves were glued and closed, once dry the seams were sanded and polished.

With that all done it was time to join the completed wings with the fuselage, test fitting showed a pretty good fit with only slight gaps at the wing roots, so out came the CA and clamps and the join was made.

9yxZuW.jpg

szl8Wr.jpg

And that brings us bang up to date, I'm sitting here now filling, sanding and polishing the seams.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Replaced Photobucket photos

Dennis,

I went to their site, and they have a really large and growing list of various aircraft IPs.  Since one of the 3 major areas of a cockpit I now need to concentrate on with my move to 1/32 scale, is the IP (the seat, and shoulder harness/lap belts being the other two), the Yahu IPs seem like the best bang for the buck, and certainly look incredible. I also noticed that they have PE Bezels, and a few other items I need to take a look at.

Joel

Must have a look at their site again and see what is new , I used to love building up a panel with MDC and Airscale decals but my best efforts could not get anywhere near the YAHU quality.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

You're making great progress. I just have one question for you, why did you decide to use CA glue to join the wings to the fuselage. It's a stressed joint, and CA glue doesn't fuse plastic. I've always assumed that sideward stresses and a twisting pressure could snap the CA bond. Guess I'm just an old glue guy who still has fond memories of the original tube glues.

Joel

Dennis,

You're making great progress. I just have one question for you, why did you decide to use CA glue to join the wings to the fuselage. It's a stressed joint, and CA glue doesn't fuse plastic. I've always assumed that sideward stresses and a twisting pressure could snap the CA bond. Guess I'm just an old glue guy who still has fond memories of the original tube glues.

Joel

Hi Joel, I use CA exclusively on all my builds I've been doing that for about 20-30 years and never had a problem, I even use it on clear parts but I do dip them in Klear first so they do not fog.

For the RB seat belts I use Micro Kristal Klear though I have used Formula 560 as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Joel, I use CA exclusively on all my builds I've been doing that for about 20-30 years and never had a problem, I even use it on clear parts but I do dip them in Klear first so they do not fog.

For the RB seat belts I use Micro Kristal Klear though I have used Formula 560 as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

That's certainly something I should start to explore as a gluing option on its own. I've used it to tack parts in place, then Extra Thin to finalize the bond. If it last 30 years, that's more then good enough for me, as I won't be around in another 30 years. That would make me almost 100  :excl: 

Joel

Hi Joel, my normal CA is Zap A Gap medium CA, but lately I have been using the odourless variety (Rocket or Vitalbond) as the fumes can be a bit strong.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

That's rather interesting, as I prefer the thin for surface areas that mat well, and med/gel when the surfaces aren't quite there.

Joel

Terrific progress, Den. And fast, too!

Kev

Thanks Kev, not as fast as it seems as I've been saving up photos, but the previous Spitfire builds certainly helped me progress faster

Nice progress Dennis, cockpit looks fantastic.

Regards. Andy

Thank you Andy, it's those Barracuda detail sets that really bring it to life

Cheers

Dennis

Wow, how did I manage to miss this one? Two pages and the fuselage is being glued to the wings. The wonderfully compact cockpit all snuggled in tight with that awesome YAHU,IP and harness set. Well done Dennis. Inspirational fast build going on here. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy.