Next GB: Colour my World Blue

BradG

This is what immediately came to mind (I assume this qualifies):

32071%201~32%20Sopwith%20F.1%20Camel%20L

I'd forgotten about that one, it's in the Le Rhone boxing and that's the one I've got.  That's three to choose from. :hmmm:

Edited by MikeC

I don't know, that looks almost like really dark Navy Blue.....take a look at the search-light mount. That mount sure looks black to me

I see the North West/Wales Police Helicopter pretty much every day as its based at Broughton a couple miles from here and I'd say its a very Dark Blue/Midnight Blue as opposed to the RAF/Army/Navy helicopter scheme thats Yellow on Black. See those quite often too, mainly the Griffin though.

Could be, it would make sense if it was blue

That's a temping build

Richard

If it's all-over 76, rather than just the under surfaces, then I'd say you're in.

Kev

I'm wondering if there is a clear set of words that will make it obvious what is in and what is out. Otherwise I can see this 'is this OK' going on for some time

Richard

I'm wondering if there is a clear set of words that will make it obvious what is in and what is out. Otherwise I can see this 'is this OK' going on for some time

Richard

I'm not sure there is. One of the downsides to choosing such an arbitrary theme is that it's open to interpretation, and the boundaries aren't so clear-cut. Couple that with our default policy of erring on the side of inclusion, and the grey areas at the borders become even wider. But, that's OK. I don't think there's any harm in people posting their queries about eligibility here, and the responses may answer other members' questions as well. We still have nearly 2 weeks until kick-off to establish a few more parameters and examples.

Having said that, I'll restate the broad criteria of the theme, in the hope that it helps. These fall into 2 main colouration types:

1. An aircraft or helicopter whose primary camouflage/livery is predominantly blue (eg., The Blue Angels);
  2. An aircraft or helicopter whose camouflage/livery features blue in a prominent or significant way (eg., blue-nosed Mustangs).

It's probably easier to discuss what's not eligible than what is, so let's give some examples:

• The colour of national markings and unit codes doesn't count;
  • An aircraft with blue undersides as part of its standard camouflage, that can't easily be seen from above - I'm sure you're all familiar with that configuration; this also means that aircraft such as early BoB Bf 109Es, where the RLM65 went most of the way up the sides of the fuselage, are IN.
  • Aircraft where blue is part of the upper camouflage/livery, but represents less than 50% of the overall colouring; in other words, it's part of the camo, but only a minor part, not the major part. This is distinct from blue being used as a highlight or 'show off' colour. Open to interpretation, but I think we all get the general gist.
  • Aircraft where the blue colouration is incidental, or not significant in any way; this one is the most open to interpretation, and we will probably only rule out blatantly obvious examples - even though I can't think of any! But let's say, blue fuel filler caps, or something trivial like that.

Like I said earlier, we'd like to encourage as much participation as possible in Group Builds, so any borderline cases will most likely get through.

Kev